$225 Refund from the "Free" Drinks Package

vicpylon

I got the "Free at Sea" with my NCL booking and one of the items was the "unlimited drinks package." Wonderful, except neither of us drink, so I was just going to ignore it. However I decided to call NCL to try and get some additional Internet time instead of the drinks package. I did not get the additional Internet minutes, but they gave me a $225 refund for the "gratuities" related to the drinks package. I found the terminology interesting; the booze has no value, but they are tacking on $225 in gratuities (for the bartenders/waiters I assume). This has likely been posted before, but it was news to me. I doubt it comes up much given most cruisers are drinkers, but those of us that are not can save some money.

Vic

I got the "Free at Sea" with my NCL booking and one of the items was the "unlimited drinks package." Wonderful, except neither of us drink, so I was just going to ignore it. However I decided to call NCL to try and get some additional Internet time instead of the drinks package. I did not get the additional Internet minutes, but they gave me a $225 refund for the "gratuities" related to the drinks package. I found the terminology interesting; the booze has no value, but they are tacking on $225 in gratuities (for the bartenders/waiters I assume). This has likely been posted before, but it was news to me. I doubt it comes up much given most cruisers are drinkers, but those of us that are not can save some money.

Vic

Not sure why you choose the drinks package if you don't drink. It is just one of the choices...you don't have to take it. Yes, you were refunded the gratuities on the package (which were not free), but you should have been allowed to make another choice. FWIW, even the package isn't free since a big chunk of it is built into the base price.

If drinking isn't a concern, you might be better off refusing the Free @ Sea promo and taking the sail away rate instead.

I just booked and discovered the same thing. You pre-pay the gratuities on the drink package and specialty dining meals if you also picked that program. I am on the fence about canceling it. We don't drink a lot so part of me wants to give it back. But then again drink prices on NCL have went up 20% in the last few years I have cruised. So instead of $8.95 many of them are $12.95. So that part of me says well maybe you can break even.

But I then learned the Ultimate Beverage Package also covers soda and juices. So if you are a big soda drinker and have 1-2 sodas with meals then it still could work for you.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but several years ago did the Beverage Package did not include sodas? I thought you had to buy 2 different packages. I could be wrong on that. I just was surprised that juices and sodas are also included.

My fear keeping it is that I will drink too much and rationalize that its already paid for :eek:

I don't drink alcohol, would have spent more than the gratuities if I had paid the individual price for each virgin drink I consumed.

4 of us are traveling together next spring 2 drinkers, 2 non-drinkers - will probably get the UBP for everyone, it's a LONG walk to the free drinks on the Bliss

Someone correct me if I am wrong but several years ago did the Beverage Package did not include sodas? I thought you had to buy 2 different packages. I could be wrong on that. I just was surprised that juices and sodas are also included.

I’m pretty sure that the UBP has always included soda. There is also a soda package, for those that are buying the packages and don’t drink (much) alcohol, but as far as I am aware everything included in that package has always been included in the UBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just booked and discovered the same thing. You pre-pay the gratuities on the drink package and specialty dining meals if you also picked that program. I am on the fence about canceling it. We don't drink a lot so part of me wants to give it back. But then again drink prices on NCL have went up 20% in the last few years I have cruised. So instead of $8.95 many of them are $12.95. So that part of me says well maybe you can break even.

But I then learned the Ultimate Beverage Package also covers soda and juices. So if you are a big soda drinker and have 1-2 sodas with meals then it still could work for you.

My fear keeping it is that I will drink too much and rationalize that its already paid for :eek:

You had to buy the Beverage Package for all adults in the same cabin, it included pop and juice - didn't & still doesn't include bottled water or espresso based coffees

You had to buy the Beverage Package for all adults in the same cabin, it included pop and juice - didn't & still doesn't include bottled water or espresso based coffees

I understand why they want everyone in the cabin to have the same drink package. But with the promo, they only give it to the first 2 passengers. So they are breaking their own rule? No?

I understand why they want everyone in the cabin to have the same drink package. But with the promo, they only give it to the first 2 passengers. So they are breaking their own rule? No?

I was surprised that I didn't have to add the drink package for the 3rd & 4th guest

However I decided to call NCL to try and get some additional Internet time instead of the drinks package. I did not get the additional Internet minutes, but

Vic

You should be able to get something else, if you refused the drink package. Do you have internet already as one perk? Maybe do the Specialty dinning. You also pay the gratuity but it is much cheaper than the drinks packakge. You also should have seen the beverage packakge gratuities listed on your invoice when you first booked too. So shouldn’t have come as a surprise. All the fine print also lists it.

My husband does not drink either but he got his money worth between the sodas, juices and virgin drinks. He had fun ordering virgin mudslides,mango meltdowns etc. he would have never ordered them without the package.

My husband does not drink either but he got his money worth between the sodas, juices and virgin drinks. He had fun ordering virgin mudslides,mango meltdowns etc. he would have never ordered them without the package.

That's good to hear. I was just checking one of the menus from Bliss. Many drinks are 12.95 plus gratuity :o

Maybe its a good idea to keep the package after all ;)

That's good to hear. I was just checking one of the menus from Bliss. Many drinks are 12.95 plus gratuity :o

Maybe its a good idea to keep the package after all ;)

we didn't get it on the Epic because we thought we don't drink enough to justify it ... we were wrong! the cost of even 2-3 drinks a day add up.... we are getting it next cruise.

I was surprised that I didn't have to add the drink package for the 3rd & 4th guest

It automatically tacks it on at the end of the booking. When you select the UBP with 4 people in a room your rate should change from some number to about $150 more per person. It then adds the gratuity for all 4. I have a booking open right now and it is definitely adjusting properly.

edit: I'm wrong. Its doing something funky...

It automatically tacks it on at the end of the booking. When you select the UBP with 4 people in a room your rate should change from some number to about $150 more per person. It then adds the gratuity for all 4. I have a booking open right now and it is definitely adjusting properly.

edit: I'm wrong. Its doing something funky...

Adding the Free at Sea promos (even with Haven where I get all 4) has been optional for UBP & Dining since at least May 26. Guess they got tired of complaints

If one person in the cabin BUYS the unlimited alcohol package, then all adults must also BUY it. Since no one BOUGHT any package there is no need for anyone else to BUY the package.

FYI with the soda package, any number of guests in the cabin can choose to buy or not buy. When we cruise we have anywhere form 2-4 in the cabin and only one ever buys the soda package.