Taste of Film

Laurab23

We are cruising the end of April on Celebrity Summit. Any idea of the film showing for Taste of Film? Is it still Chef with the same menu as last year?

Laura

What is this? We are on that cruise and have not heard anything about a Taste of Film and have no idea what it is.

It's a Movable Feast cruise with two guest chefs, but I don't know anything about a film.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Forums mobile app

Taste of film is one night where they show a film and gear food toward the film. The outside screen. We did it last year, I think it was $5 or $10 s person. They bring around different tastes of food to match with different parts of the movie.

It was fun but won't bother this year if it is the same movie and food.

Laura

Taste of film is one night where they show a film and gear food toward the film. The outside screen. We did it last year, I think it was $5 or $10 s person. They bring around different tastes of food to match with different parts of the movie.

It was fun but won't bother this year if it is the same movie and food.

Laura

And they charge for this? I rarely get wound up about nickle and diming, but that strikes me as taking it too far. . .

And they charge for this? I rarely get wound up about nickle and diming, but that strikes me as taking it too far. . .
Well, you can always bring your own food, if you know the film.

I Am sure that OVC will have something close to what may be served.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Well, you can always bring your own food, if you know the film.

I Am sure that OVC will have something close to what may be served.

Bon voyage

When they do Taste of Film, that evening you can only watch the film if you've paid for the event.

We were on the March 2 sailing on Reflection.

One evening we were dining at the Lawn Club Grill and saw the crew placing soft, padded low “recliners” on the lawn below the large video screen. Guests took their places and were given headphones and blankets. As the movie began everyone was handed a beverage.

Several chefs then came into the Lawn Grill with binders of what I am guessing are recipes. After perusing the binders they started preparing the first course for the event. We left shortly after, but it did appear that the Taste of Film event was well attended.

We enjoyed A Taste of Film aboard Millennium in September, 2016. I forget what the cost was, but we had our own private cabana, were served appetizer-like tasting courses that I believe were made in the Qsine galley on that ship. The film shown at that time was The Hundred Foot Journey with Helen Mirren. A fun, foodie movie.

We were overnight in Kobe, Japan, so the ship was docked during the evening event. I think the best way to enjoy the event is when a ship is in port either overnight or until late evening. I would think wind/weather could be a factor being outdoors when a ship is at sea.

Overall I enjoyed the experience on Summit. The movie was Chef and it was an excellent movie. The seating is very comfortable and it was a fun experience watching a movie under-the-stars. There was a little bar with a limited variety of drinks in the area.

The only negative was the food itself. While many on these boards proclaim that food is subjective, it is taste that is subjective. Food quality and execution (and to an extent creativity) are objective (that is why there are food critics, ratings such as Michelin and culinary awards). Sadly both the ingredient quality and the execution were very poor (i.e. very gristly cuts of meat that were woefully overcooked - resulting in a dry, chewy, unpleasant texture and lack of flavor). Timing was way off as well; the intent was to serve food reminiscent of the current scene in the movie - but by the time dishes came out the intended scene was almost always over (sometimes long over). Quantity wise there was lots of food (many small portions that together added up to a fairly substantial sized meal), so if the food had been at least decent it would be well worth the cost for a unique, enjoyable experience.

Since the food was so poor, was glad we had eaten a hefty snack earlier in the evening and that he had the experience comped (were staying in a Penthouse Suite and I guess they included it as part of the unlimited dining package that comes with the suite - not sure if that is consistent across sailings or not). I would certainly give the experience another chance though, even if I had to pay the cover charge; really cool concept with lots of potential and a great environment for it to take place.

I am holding out for Babette's Feast.
LOL, heck yes! To boot, I will have to ask for a vegan meal... That would be a feast to remember!

Bon voyage

I have many celebrity cruises under my "belt"(usually at least one a year) and I have never heard of taste of film. I wonder if that is because we usually do European or transatlantics. Anyone have a different experience?