Things NOT to do while in Grand Turks?

LongHill44

Don’t do a carnival snorkel excursion if you like to snorkel without many other people bumping into you and a rushed experience with no guaranteed sightings. Pure fluff, take your equipment and do it on your own at governors beach

Is it really that bad? I’m doing catamaran Snorkel thru carnival. It has great reviews. Although I might be more excited for the rum punch and party, than the snorkeling. [emoji847]

Is it at least pretty snorkeling? When I went in St Thomas is was all dead coral

Is it really that bad? I’m doing catamaran Snorkel thru carnival. It has great reviews. Although I might be more excited for the rum punch and party, than the snorkeling. [emoji847]

Is it at least pretty snorkeling? When I went in St Thomas is was all dead coral

If you’re a beginner and you don’t like to spend too long snorkeling , it might be OK for you. I’m not a great Snorkeler, but I like to relax in the water and enjoy the view and not be rushed. I also don’t like being kicked in the head with some one else’s fin I have always enjoyed it more going out on my own. But the rum is a nice enticement. I would say just take a snorkel and mask, no fins, do some snorkeling on your own, and then buy some drinks at Margaritaville or from one of the beach vendors

I focus on the positive.

It is a great place for a beach day.

You can simply arrange for a tour of the island by walking out to the parking lot and negotiating a rate with a van and driver. Easy to see in a few hours.

Keith

Grand Turk is beautiful.

2017Mar30_GT580-L.jpg

Green chairs to the left as you get off the ship....free area[

So I'm guessing the multicolor umbrellas are the "local" chair marketplace that other threads are complaining about.

Your photo confirms how I was picturing it in my head, havn't been there in a few years.

I wonder why all the green umbrellas? Did they lose all those beautiful palm trees in a hurricane or something? There used to be plenty of shade under them. IMO, all the green detracts.

Don’t do a carnival snorkel excursion if you like to snorkel without many other people bumping into you and a rushed experience with no guaranteed sightings. Pure fluff, take your equipment and do it on your own at governors beach
Great info. How does one get to Governor's Beach?

Great info. How does one get to Governor's Beach?

We just walked out and then down the road to the left. About 15 minutes. If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t walk it because it was quite humid and with no paved path. This time we are renting a golf cart. But you can also take a taxi and it will only be a couple minutes and a few bucks.

We just walked out and then down the road to the left. About 15 minutes. If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t walk it because it was quite humid and with no paved path. This time we are renting a golf cart. But you can also take a taxi and it will only be a couple minutes and a few bucks.

Anyone k ow how much it cost to rent a golf cart and where?

So I'm guessing the multicolor umbrellas are the "local" chair marketplace that other threads are complaining about.

Your photo confirms how I was picturing it in my head, havn't been there in a few years.

I wonder why all the green umbrellas? Did they lose all those beautiful palm trees in a hurricane or something? There used to be plenty of shade under them. IMO, all the green detracts.

The green umbrellas and all the way back to the pool, including pool chairs are free. The rows under the palm trees are shady. The beach is owned by Carnival and they have set up the first 2 rows for $25 for 2 chairs and umbrella. Most of their chairs are stolen from Carnival. Again don't rent chairs from the locals. The Carnival chairs under the green umbrellas are free.

We had a great experience using the Rays, Conch and Reef snorkel through Carnival. They provided all the equipment. Took us out to a spot where we could go diving for conch and then swim over to a reef to check out the fish and coral. Lots of room to be able to spread out so we weren't all on top of each other. After awhile they took us to a little island where we could explore the beach and play with the sting rays while they chopped up all the conch and made fresh conch salad. The ride back we got to eat the salad and sip on rum punch. It actually has been one of my absolute favorite excursions and we are looking forward to going again this year.

We had a great experience using the Rays, Conch and Reef snorkel through Carnival. They provided all the equipment. Took us out to a spot where we could go diving for conch and then swim over to a reef to check out the fish and coral. Lots of room to be able to spread out so we weren't all on top of each other. After awhile they took us to a little island where we could explore the beach and play with the sting rays while they chopped up all the conch and made fresh conch salad. The ride back we got to eat the salad and sip on rum punch. It actually has been one of my absolute favorite excursions and we are looking forward to going again this year.

We went on this tour last year and it was one of the best tours (0ver 50) that we have been on.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this excursion two years ago and it was great. They take you to the wall and you see lots of different fish and coral. The crew was fantastic and the rum punch was good. Im not the best snorkler but I saw lots of fish.

We are actually going again in May and plan on booking the same tour(y)

• 1 month later...

We are looking at both The catamaran or Rays snorkeling excursion

Do you get to spend much time relaxing on the beach after with either? They both seem like super short excursions so I wasn't sure how much beach time you get?

I know I can do the beach by the port but I'm wanting to relax away from that area a little

My wife and I did the catamaran and snorkel last year and it was great. We liked it so much we will be doing it again next year. My parents will be with us, but probably won't be up for snorkeling. Just double checking, but the beach next to the port is free, correct?

My wife and I did the catamaran and snorkel last year and it was great. We liked it so much we will be doing it again next year. My parents will be with us, but probably won't be up for snorkeling. Just double checking, but the beach next to the port is free, correct?

Yes. But do be careful if heading to the Margaritaville side. As you get over toward the end of the property (somewhat unmarked), there are independent lounge hawkers who will charge you for loungers. Stay closer to the buildings and pool or head tot eh south side where the Beached Whale is.

I focus on the positive.

It is a great place for a beach day.

You can simply arrange for a tour of the island by walking out to the parking lot and negotiating a rate with a van and driver. Easy to see in a few hours.

Keith

What would be a good rate for island tour, family of 4. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

WE always enjoy the catamaran snorkel. DH usually snorkels and I just enjoy the relaxing sail.