A letter to Mr Heller

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 AM.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Dear Mr. Heller,
I can’t thank you enough for buying the Orient Lines brand and wanting to recreate a very special part of my life and the lives of many others. When I found out about the sale, I believe that I posted “it felt like Christmas and my birthday were rolled into one”. I can’t wait to hear which ship we will be sailing on and when you will begin the operation.

Please understand that I believe that by buying the Orient Lines brand you are making a commitment to us, a promise to uphold what we have come to expect on board Orient Lines ships. We want a traditional cruise experience, interesting and soft adventure itineraries, new and exciting ports, assigned dining times and seating, formal nights and lectures pertaining to the places we visit but most importantly the crew we have all grown to know and love.

For a small line we have more than demonstrated our love of the product with our huge, continued loyalty and will do so if the product remains. Please Mr. Heller, do not go the way of the mass - market lines with dedicated children’s programs, rock climbing walls, ice rinks, bowling or water slides.

It is my belief that NCL was not interested in what we had to say about the sale. Instead of inviting some past passengers to a meeting where they would make us part of the changes, they totally ignored us and alienated most of the Polo Club members. Thousands and thousands of advertising dollars were flushed down the drain as we knew that they would not have our business but that of our friends and families. Please respect us and you will find some of cruising’s finest, most loyal passengers.

Thank you for listening.
Fran
South Florida
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Dear Fran,
Thank you for your posting. I'll make sure Mr. Heller sees this.

It is our intention to bring Orient Lines back to what it was prior to NCL. We have heard from many of the Marco Polo crew members and are working on contacting them with the details of future employment.
Mr. Heller will be announcing the details of both the ship and the itineraries shortly.
Regards,
Your Polo Club Administrator
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Thank you PoloClub for answering my post. It is your kindness and reassurance that makes me feel like I am dealing with Orient Lines once again.

I look forward to Mr. Heller's announcements.
Fran
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Good Afternoon Polo Club

So nice to finally hear that some one is taking steps to hear us(former MP crew) I have sent and gathered large ammount of crew data base and those are with Brenda already but im still waiting to hear from her,,,,
I have also supplied to him on of the Captains intrest of Orient Lines.

Please come back soon something for a crew as they need to either make comitment towards other cruise line or if Orient line is ready in short period then with full heart they are ready to re-join.

I know Polo club holds almost 500.000 Names, so there is potential income for next 5yrs if mareting and ship will manage for demand...

Please let us join back to Golden Orient Line.
South Florida
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Dear InsideVoiceMP,
Thank you for helping us get contact information for the Marco Polo crew members. You can forward that information to info@orientlines.com and I'll see that they are given to Brenda.

Regards,
PoloClub
268 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I hope they have all the Polo Club members addresses! We sailed on a fantastic 30 day voyage on MP from Copenhagen to Rome and it was the best cruise we have ever taken! The staff and crew were the best we have ever encountered! Can't wait to go on her again!
Colorful Colorado
21 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Our understanding is that the purchase of the Orient Lines included all records for past passengers. Let's hope that means Polo Club members will be remembered for their loyalty.

We understand also that Sharon Harlow is back to manage the past passengers' club, and wish her well. Do you have any info you can share on the above, Sharon? Will the name "Polo Club" survive?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pat & Wanda

Thirteen cruises thus far on Celebrity, Clipper, Discovery, Disney, HAL, Oceania, and Orient; two more booked; and a wish list that will keep us busy for some time.
england
1,448 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Please, please do not forget the British passengers. I have seen on another board that the line may begin with US passengers. What about us!!! I have already earmarked a cruise I would like to do on the information kindly forwarded to me by Franu.
Pennsylvania USA
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Dear Fran,

It appears NCL was operating Orient Cruise Lines at a significant financial loss for some period of time and charged the minimally acceptable balance sheet rates to cover themselves until they could unload it. My wife and I have cruise Orient many, many times and when we booked Europe last April it was 5 weeks for approximately $2200. Our Janaury 2008 - March 23rd cruise, except for the Antartica portion, was equally cheap. I hope I'm wrong but I think we had a "a good deal" while they where searching for a buyer. The fact that Apollo Investment Group removed the NCL CEO from the NCL Board of directors is an indication the whole corporation wasn't being managed very well. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED I'M WRONG!!
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
bbq, I am not knowledgeable about the financial state of any cruise line nor do I know the prices being charged by the new OL. I do know that NCL lost a lot of money on NCLA, the three ships in Hawaii. Subsequently they have renovated two ships and they are now under NCL.

When there are so many companies involved I think that it takes a forensic auditor to figure out what is really happening. With NCL, NCLA, Star Cruises, Genting Group and Apollo Management they could say anything and I don't think that you will know what is the truth.

I will wait and see what happens. I do know that the book price is not what people usually pay. I expect to price some sailings soon. Until then I will not comment on information I am not privy to.
Fran
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by bbq
Dear Fran,

It appears NCL was operating Orient Cruise Lines at a significant financial loss for some period of time and charged the minimally acceptable balance sheet rates to cover themselves until they could unload it. My wife and I have cruise Orient many, many times and when we booked Europe last April it was 5 weeks for approximately $2200. Our Janaury 2008 - March 23rd cruise, except for the Antartica portion, was equally cheap. I hope I'm wrong but I think we had a "a good deal" while they where searching for a buyer. The fact that Apollo Investment Group removed the NCL CEO from the NCL Board of directors is an indication the whole corporation wasn't being managed very well. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED I'M WRONG!!
bbq

I can tell you from "fact's" tha old MP was one of the few ships under NCL who actually make money,, not much but we did not do minus.
Little ships make little money big ships make almost similar than good old MP.

NCL's huge loss was NCLA, but now when that fleet has been re-suffled i assume NCL will not do that kind of stupid mistake again and Apollo will not allow any brainless investments.

just wanted to clarify that.

Hopefully you will find "NEW" Orient Line desirable (Yes i read your "other"post as well)
Long Beach, CA
427 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by franu
bbq, I am not knowledgeable about the financial state of any cruise line nor do I know the prices being charged by the new OL. I do know that NCL lost a lot of money on NCLA, the three ships in Hawaii. Subsequently they have renovated two ships and they are now under NCL.
Fran
Don't you all know that NCL actually stands for "No Cash Lines" - they originally bought OL because she MADE money and they needed cash! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

Lydia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL Niew Amsterdam - 7/84 Alaska
Premier Big Red Boat - 8/87? Bahamas
Cunard QE2 - 8/91 TransAtlantic
RCL Golden Odyssey - 3/93 SE Asia
Star Clipper - 6/94 Mediterranean
Princess - Royal Princess - 1995 Panama Canal Cruise
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 10/96 Athens to Mombasa
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/97 Antarctica
NCL - Norweigian Dream - 8/98 - Baltic Capitals
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 2/99 Auckland to Sydney
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 3/99 Sydney to Singapore
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/99 Millenium Cruise Antarctica
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 2/00 New Zealand
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Singapore - Hong Kong
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Hong Kong to Singapore (via Vietnam)
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 6/01 Norwegian Fjords
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Los Angeles - Tahiti
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Tahiti - Sydney
Holland America Lines - Veendam 11/06 Western Carribean
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 11/07 Fall Transatlantic
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Rio to Buenos Aires
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Antarctica and the Falklands
Holland America - Statendam - 3/08 WWII Cruise
Holland America - Veendam - 9/08 Amazon Explorer
Holland America - Nordam - 4/09 Transatlantic
Star Clippers - Star Flyer - 08/09 Tahiti
Royal Caribbean - Independence - 4/10 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur - 10/11 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Radiance - 5/13 - NB Alaska
Pennsylvania USA
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Why is the base price $1100 aday, for two for the inside cheapest cabin quoted yesterday, considered in line OL with pricing in 2006', 2007' and 2008' EQUAL? No pre or post hotel with free breakfast and excursion on arrival. FOLKS FORGET THIS LINE, SADLY (TO ME TO0) IT'S NOT COMPETITIVE! I spend at least 6 months a year at sea and I'm not shooting a hole in my bank account!