Which port would you most want to visit on Orient Lines?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:17 AM.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
We all have dreams of far away places. Which port would you most want to visit ? Perhaps ones which will be new to Orient Lines. If you saw it in the brochure you would just have to go. Share your dreams.
england
1,448 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Definitely Bali. We were due to go with Orient on Crown Odyssey a few years' ago and the port was cancelled due to the Bali bombings. I would love it to appear again.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
I have thought it over and over and come to the decision that I want to go on the MPII to Manila. We have met so many wonderful people from there that I am wanting to see where they came from and what their families are like.
Fran
england
1,448 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Yes, this is another place that was cancelled on the cruise on Crown Odyssey. I was really looking forward to the crew's excitement at seeing family and friends.

I am very envious at the moment, as my daughter flew out to Manila yesterday for her job and will be there for a fortnight.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
I am amazed that more people haven't shared where in this whole world they would like to go. We have nothing to complain about if we are silent. I think that Mr Heller would want to know. I certainly would enjoy hearing what others want.

Mancunian and I will go to Bali and Manila. Who would want to go with us?
Fran
East Norriton, PA, USA
224 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Fran,

It still amazes me that a US cruise line cannot use any US ports!

My second choice would be Klaipėda, Lithuania. Lithuania is the birthplace of my maternal grandparents.

And, of course, I would join you and mancunian in a cruise to Manila and Bali.

Rick
Santiago de Compostela/Spain/European Union
1,489 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Well I will see her close my hometown either in Vigo o Villagarcia. As far as ports I would like to visit would be a Brazilian sailing. From Santos or Rio calling at Salvador, Recife, Fortaleza and other non-beaches destinations. I would love to visit Asia

That´s to say the Vietnamese coast, destinations in China (with fight excursions to the Great Wall or/and Xian). Africa, and Indian Ocean, and of course the Pacific Coast, calling at Perú, Ecuador, and even Transcanal.

I won´t post New England, since I will be doing it on the QM2 on oct 2009. I have received the brochure. The ship doesn´t look as appalling as I thought, but routes are too long, all of them include flights from the US, and I find them a bit overpriced yet. Anyway, there are lovely options in case I could make particial segments in my beloved backyard sea, the Med.
Charleston, SC
1,074 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
For the Mediterranean we would choose Taormina, Monte Carlo (for Eze and St Paul de Vence!), and Athens..all for the third time!

Overall first choice would be: All the ports around South Africa..Durban, Cape Town, Pt Elizabeth etc with overnights, and if at all possible, with the world situation, Zanzibar. I have done all these ports before and loved them...as a matter of fact the South African ports were all on Marco Polo sailing from Mombasa! Fabulous trip!

We would be happy with Bali, not crazy about Manila as I expect it is very crowded and the port would not be lovely.
S&K
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Oh, and lest we forget an overnight in Venice..fabulous, wonderful, magical Venice!
I would never, ever forget Venice. A City which always has something new in store for me although I have been here many times. My favorite view is leaving Venice while standing at the highest place on the ship. It is a view that is unattainable any other way.

I have just remembered a very secluded island in the Pacific Ocean, Easter Island. I would love to stand there amid the Moais in their strange placement. I have seen one in La Serena, Chile in the museum as this strange island is owned by Chile.
Fran
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by CELEBREW
Fran,

It still amazes me that a US cruise line cannot use any US ports!

Rick
Hi Rick
answer to your question is so easy, USPH=United states public healt.
and other class assosiations.
Those where also biggest reassons why MP did not call any US ports, as it would be stopped or atleast got really bad scores.
Older ships do not unfortunetly comply many of the moder rules and just cant go to US port as one's arriving there, PORT STATE CONTROLL will raid the ship and they are pain, let me tell you i have deal with them so many years and for ships what are just in line for 2010 solar rules, it is just suiside to take a risk, rest of the world is still open and more open and best of all risk free to travel.