Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:06 PM.
3,985 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Bear with me...

Heller's attempt to relaunch Orient after NCL sold it has failed, Maxim Gorkiy has been beached at Alang so no going back for that ship.

But...

Aegean I has been refurbished and reportedly bought by Gerry Herrod...the original owner of Orient BEFORE it was bought by NCL. Add to the mix that David Yellow who until this week was MD for Voyages of Discovery, is joining Gerry Herrod in his new venture.

So is it possible that Herrod & Yellow will do what Heller tried, and failed, and relaunch Orient Lines using Aegean I which is already refurbished and sat in Perama with her crew, who are staying quiet as to the ship & their future plans?

It is possible, isn't it.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Why would Gerry Herrod not find a new name. The Orient Lines name now belongs to Mr. Heller. I have difficulty understanding why an astute businessman would spend money to buy what is now a tainted name.

I am very anxious to hear about Mr. Herrod's plans so that his loyal fans can make plans to cruise on his latest venture.

During my time on the M/V Marco Polo I have spoken to many of the crew members that worked with him. I have never heard so many glowing reports about any employer. It is my dream to meet the man.
Fran
Florida
4,036 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
As a serious old f**t, I fondly remember the "real" Orient Lines. I would happy give a new venture by Mr. Herrod.

Tough economic times to try to start a cruise line, but as long as it is not a Caribbean cruise, I will be on the inaugural.

here's hoping
South Florida
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
I would love to work for Mr. Herrod again. And I'm sure a lot of the original Marco Polo crew members feel the same way.

Sharon
Polo Club Admin.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
I would love to work for Mr. Herrod again. And I'm sure a lot of the original Marco Polo crew members feel the same way.
What a great combination that would be. Just say the word and I will be there.
Fran
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
I just read in the Seatrade Insider News "Gerry Herrod isn’t ready to disclose plans about his new cruise venture, sources told Seatrade Insider. Gerry Herrod isn’t ready to disclose plans about his new cruise venture, sources told Seatrade Insider."

I have been waiting with bated breath since March 08 for an announcement. It was on the final voyage of the Marco Polo for Orient Lines that I heard that Mr Herrod had another ship that was being worked on in Greece. Unfortunately I was told that the target date was to be Oct 08. Major anxiety has ensued.

I understand that this is not the best of times but wish him the best of luck. Looking forward to enjoying cruising again
Fran
Florida
4,036 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Goldryder
You can probably forget any chance of getting Marco Polo back. Transocean is putting her in for a full refurb in Bremerhaven ready for her summer season. She arrived in Funchal from Ponta Delgada yesterday and then onto Lisbon.

http://www.offradarnews.com/2009/02/...arco-polo.html
I never thought the Marco Polo was a particularly "nice" ship. In fact, I rather disliked it. What made Orient Lines so great was:
a) the crew. Simply the best -- and I am comparing them to Crystal, not Carnival.
b) interesting itineraries
c) interesting passengers. International, well-traveled, well-read.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
You can probably forget any chance of getting Marco Polo back.
Like ab0si, it is not the ship but the other attributes which I find most appealing.If it were the ship I would have sailed her from Harwich last summer. It was the rest of the picture that meant so much to me. Without our crew it is an empty shell.

What will happen in the future only time will tell. I believe that Transocean has a five year lease.

I am looking forward to the new venture with Mr. Herrod which will most probably have the crew that is loyal to him.
Fran
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by ab0si
I never thought the Marco Polo was a particularly "nice" ship. In fact, I rather disliked it. What made Orient Lines so great was:
a) the crew. Simply the best -- and I am comparing them to Crystal, not Carnival.
b) interesting itineraries
c) interesting passengers. International, well-traveled, well-read.
Hmmmm...
As a ex-Mp crew, that is not nice to say about good old MP, she was and still is one of the most reliable ship still in business, Old but exelent sea going cruise liner, you dont find same "stability" from same size cruise ship now days.
what is that you Disliked in MP? and remember most of the MP crew like and loved that ship and made it they homes, even it was old.(also many of them reading\contibuting in this forum as well)
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
remember most of the MP crew like and loved that ship and made it they homes, even it was old.(also many of them reading\contibuting in this forum as well
I don't know the OP's reasons but I do know that most of the crew really loved the ship. It is because that love shined through in the way the crew treated us that passengers were so happy.

My cabin steward for three of my cruises told me after a particularly stormy night that he always feels safe on the MP because when he was fairly new they encountered a very bad storm in the Tasman Sea. After a while the captain asked all the passengers and crew to go to their muster stations with their life-jackets. He said that the captain was near tears.

He told me that he was in the Ambassador lounge, praying and hoping and praying some more. When the ship reached port a few days later, the newspapers had front page articles about the miracle ship.

This cabin steward told me that as long as he is on the MP, he will never be afraid.

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know that I loved the ship as long as it had our crew. Now it will never be the same so the empty shell is not my beloved Marco Polo.
Fran
Long Beach, CA
427 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Following Mr. Harrod's previous track record - he's probably launching a completely new cruise line with a lot of the old crew. Just like he did when Pearl Cruises ceased to exist and then Orient Lines followed it...

And I imagine he's doing the same thing with Agean 1 that he did with the MP - having her stripped and rebuilt. Which (If I remember correctly) with the Marco took about a year.

Lydia

ps. I'd sail on the MP in any weather and any sea. She's a great ship and she proved that more than once in some truely terrible storms that the more "modern" ships would not have survived through (including the "perfect storm" in the Tasman sea Fran mentions above. That storm came out of nowhere. The ship was tossing so violently both her baby grand pianos flipped like pancakes, and every single dish and glass onboard was smashed to pieces. Capt. Erik was the captain on that cruise - he didn't leave the bridge for 48 hours straight, and to this day, won't discuss that storm (I assure you he wasn't in tears... not his way. But EVERYONE on board got sick. The ship pitched straight up and down for 48 hours in one spot. The only two things they saw was the sky on the way up and the sea on the way down. One of the Sr. officers (that I used to know very well) was on the bridge and said that if it was any other ship with any other captain they wouldn't have made it through). The crew and passengers were actually sent to their rooms and told to brace themselves between their beds.).

But, without her OL crew - it's just not the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL Niew Amsterdam - 7/84 Alaska
Premier Big Red Boat - 8/87? Bahamas
Cunard QE2 - 8/91 TransAtlantic
RCL Golden Odyssey - 3/93 SE Asia
Star Clipper - 6/94 Mediterranean
Princess - Royal Princess - 1995 Panama Canal Cruise
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 10/96 Athens to Mombasa
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/97 Antarctica
NCL - Norweigian Dream - 8/98 - Baltic Capitals
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 2/99 Auckland to Sydney
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 3/99 Sydney to Singapore
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/99 Millenium Cruise Antarctica
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 2/00 New Zealand
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Singapore - Hong Kong
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Hong Kong to Singapore (via Vietnam)
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 6/01 Norwegian Fjords
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Los Angeles - Tahiti
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Tahiti - Sydney
Holland America Lines - Veendam 11/06 Western Carribean
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 11/07 Fall Transatlantic
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Rio to Buenos Aires
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Antarctica and the Falklands
Holland America - Statendam - 3/08 WWII Cruise
Holland America - Veendam - 9/08 Amazon Explorer
Holland America - Nordam - 4/09 Transatlantic
Star Clippers - Star Flyer - 08/09 Tahiti
Royal Caribbean - Independence - 4/10 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur - 10/11 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Radiance - 5/13 - NB Alaska
Pennsylvania USA
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I just came off a 28 day around Australia on the Princess "Sun Princess". Sitting at the pool I looked up on one level were the grill is and saw what appeared to be a familiar face. That night in the dinning roon sure enough it was Sunny. He even remembered our name, just incredible! He held off one year waiting for this April 2009' launch and than took the Sr. Waiter position to hold him over to what he believes is a 2010 start up again. He was very positive about it and says he keeps in contact with the Philo. staff regularly to be sure they will go back. Perhaps we'll be lucky and he will have that opportunity taking back whatever good practices, if any, he might observe. On an other note he was serving the captain so they might just promote him to keep him.

I also remeber how positive the philo. staff at the puser's office was about Mr. Harrod's visit to the ship several months before the other company took it over.They were hoping he'd buy it and spoke so well about their conversations with him on that trip.

Last comment; the ship was rocker than my Marco Polo trip to Antartica last year; Like Captain Bloomquist used to say, "this is a cruise liner" their just floating boxes".
Long Beach, CA
427 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
No update on when - but It's definately the Aegean I - he bought her in 2008 and she's at Elefsina in Greece. The company that sold her states that it was sold to "Aegean Experiences a Gerry Herrod company - UK" not sure if that was just a name for the paperwork, or if that's what she's sailing under (I kind of doubt it is).

Also, David Yellow the managing director from Voyages of Discovery has left VOD to join Herrod on this new venture. Not sure if that's good or bad...

Lydia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
91 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Thank you for the update.

From what I've read about how David Yellow handled questions about the engine problems that the Discovery experienced last year (My wife and I were onboard while she limped across the Atlantic), I can't but wonder that Jerry Herrod hired him at all. Then again, David may have been directed not to be too "candid" about the situation. Anyway, it's good to hear that Jerry H. is going to start another new line.
Long Beach, CA
427 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Mr. Harrod is a pretty smart businessman, I suspect that David was doing what he was told by Discovery's owners (Mr. Harrod sold out to the Voyages a long time ago.)

Lydia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Any one has Mr. Harrod's new adventure company email address as i would be intrested to see what he is up to now and would he like to get some of the old MP crew to his future project's.
Toronto, ON. Canada
1,492 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
If you look back to one of my postings, I wrote that Seatrade Insider News said that Mr Herrod is not ready to talk about his plans at this time.

My guess would be that he is waiting for the economy to turn more positive. David Yellow has been hired by Gerry Herrod to work on this new venture. I believe that he started in April.

I too am waiting to hear.
Fran
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
G'Day Franu

I know he is not ready to talk about it, but as i been working in cruise business last 25yrs,thing happening behind and people been hired and preparation is made, so what i need is maybe David Yellow's contact details and i can check it out what is going on...if any one has that i would be happy to recived it.

thank you very much.