Building Giants: Giant Cruise Ships "Meraviglia" on SBS now

Yes watched that after Mighty Ships, a decent 'doco'. The 'boss' was not impressed. Have to buy a 2nd TV.:') I told her we have 2 TV's in the Princess minisuites lol. She can watch her own then. :'):loudcry::o

A lot of the mega ships now have those shopping malls not for me. I am a bit worried about going on Royal Princess in June, a bit big for me.

The show was interesting , particularly the way the cabins were done off site and wheeled round the deck into position on the ship.

Also no info ( hard facts ) on the MSC site but Wikipedia says 4500 paxs and 1550 crew

171600 GT in-service 3rd June 2017

Max capacity of 5,714 pax.

Here are some MSC Meraviglia facts. https://www.msccruises.com.au/en-au/Discover-MSC/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Meraviglia/The-Ship.aspx

and https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=996

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=996

The show was interesting , particularly the way the cabins were done off site and wheeled round the deck into position on the ship.

Also no info ( hard facts ) on the MSC site but Wikipedia says 4500 paxs and 1550 crew

171600 GT in-service 3rd June 2017

I thought it was impressive how they built the cabins off site (assembled in 25 mins each, from memory) and how they got them in place on the ship (avoiding other workers). Also thought it was fascinating how they designed and made different propellors to handle the size of the ship.

CC Ship reviews of inaugural cruises made interesting reading having watched the construction.

I'd love to see a similar programme on designing and constructing a small ship (such as Viking new ocean ships).

I've been laid up all weekend with a sprained ankle so settled down and just finished watching this doco on SBS On Demand. Very interesting, reminded me a bit of Lego - this bit goes there, etc. Enjoyed it far more than those overly dramatic Mighty Ships programmes. But I do know one thing, I have no interest in sailing on her. Too big for me.

I've been laid up all weekend with a sprained ankle so settled down and just finished watching this doco on SBS On Demand. Very interesting, reminded me a bit of Lego - this bit goes there, etc. Enjoyed it far more than those overly dramatic Mighty Ships programmes. But I do know one thing, I have no interest in sailing on her. Too big for me.

I agree.

I too enjoy this format better than the mighty ships over dramatization however, I would personally love to try the ship out. I have loved being on the Ovation of the Seas and also the Norwegian Epic, so going a ship that is a bit larger would be wonderful to try.

A lot of the mega ships now have those shopping malls not for me. I am a bit worried about going on Royal Princess in June, a bit big for me.

That what I was worried about last year but, in fact, Royal was great. They have moved the photo gallery to deck 6, away from the main thoroughfares so she didn't seem as crowded as Golden or the Sun class ships. I hardly noticed the shops, they were there but in the background. I'd happily cruise on her again.

The only downside was in some of the smaller Med ports when there were a number of big ships in port meaning too many passengers for those ports. Hopefully it will be different on your cruise.

That what I was worried about last year but, in fact, Royal was great. They have moved the photo gallery to deck 6, away from the main thoroughfares so she didn't seem as crowded as Golden or the Sun class ships. I hardly noticed the shops, they were there but in the background. I'd happily cruise on her again.

The only downside was in some of the smaller Med ports when there were a number of big ships in port meaning too many passengers for those ports. Hopefully it will be different on your cruise.

Helpful, thanks mate, doing British Isles on Royal Princess, so not too many other ships in port, mostly just us.:cool:

Years ago on 60 Minutes they showed a cruise line construction company in Germany and I remember they showed when the ship was finished and they float it for the first time.

Apparently it is at some river mouth and they have to wait till high tide and then squeeze this giant ship through a tiny gap to the open sea:o. What was funny was that Germans would come to the river bank to watch the "release of the ship";p. They would come from around Germany and make like a weekend trip of it:D.

Years ago on 60 Minutes they showed a cruise line construction company in Germany and I remember they showed when the ship was finished and they float it for the first time.

Apparently it is at some river mouth and they have to wait till high tide and then squeeze this giant ship through a tiny gap to the open sea:o. What was funny was that Germans would come to the river bank to watch the "release of the ship";p. They would come from around Germany and make like a weekend trip of it:D.

Goes out past Warnemunde.