Great Stirrup Cay and Atlantis Resort - nephew has mobility issues

iluvdonuts

Hello!

We will be traveling with my nephew on the Norwegian Escape in mid-March and he has mobility and heat intolerant issues. One of our ports is Great Stirrup Cay. Does anyone know how much walking is involved to get from the tender dock to one of the beaches? We are hoping to snag a shady spot so might have to send a couple of our party members out earlier than he can arrive.

I guess I have the same question for the Nassau port stop. I'm thinking maybe we can purchase a Discover Atlantis tour/pass so he can stay in air condition but how much walking is involved? I know I've read that the Atlantis is a huge resort.

Thanks for your help!

In terms of mobility, his first challenge is to get from the ship down to the double decker tender boats at GSC ... everyone board from the lower deck of the ship up onto the tender, down 1 or 2 steps to the boat. Then, it's down steps to the lower deck once you are at the island for the ramp to step onto the island's tender pier.

Once you are on GSC, there are beach transport wheelchair (notify Special Needs ahead) to help - otherwise, it's a 10 minutes walk over to the closest beach area to find shades (for someone with mobility issues, others - maybe 5 to 7 minutes of walking)

Reserve & book a vented clamshell (for 2) shade for best sun/heat/UV protection, it's worth that $35 with heat issues as noted.

GSC is a tough one for everyone and would be especially so if having mobility issues. It is passed frequently because of rough water or wind making the tenders unsafe. And even then, frequently it is a challenge getting on and off. My wife has issues with rocking boats and we have at least 3 times just stayed on the ship when there. That's not all bad because the ship is much more peaceful with most of the guests gone. Might want to think of that. And...it can be hot on shore with no escape until back on the ship. Also, I might add, the tenders are big and the wait on them while they fill can be lengthy.

In terms of mobility, his first challenge is to get from the ship down to the double decker tender boats at GSC ... everyone board from the lower deck of the ship up onto the tender, down 1 or 2 steps to the boat. Then, it's down steps to the lower deck once you are at the island for the ramp to step onto the island's tender pier.

Once you are on GSC, there are beach transport wheelchair (notify Special Needs ahead) to help - otherwise, it's a 10 minutes walk over to the closest beach area to find shades (for someone with mobility issues, others - maybe 5 to 7 minutes of walking)

Reserve & book a vented clamshell (for 2) shade for best sun/heat/UV protection, it's worth that $35 with heat issues as noted.

Thank you so much for all of this info! It helps a lot to know what to expect.

Happy travels!

GSC is a tough one for everyone and would be especially so if having mobility issues. It is passed frequently because of rough water or wind making the tenders unsafe. And even then, frequently it is a challenge getting on and off. My wife has issues with rocking boats and we have at least 3 times just stayed on the ship when there. That's not all bad because the ship is much more peaceful with most of the guests gone. Might want to think of that. And...it can be hot on shore with no escape until back on the ship. Also, I might add, the tenders are big and the wait on them while they fill can be lengthy.

Thank you so much for your reply! You make a really good point about just staying on the ship and enjoying it without all of the crowds. We will consider this option for sure. Thanks again!

I agree with all of the above. If you really think GSC might work for your nephew i would seriously consider renting a cabana for your group - though they are farther away from the tender dock.

Thanks Mistizoom for your reply. A cabana would be awesome but I think you and the other posters are right, maybe we sit this port out. Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of this info! It helps a lot to know what to expect.

Happy travels!

If you follow our Breakaway semi live review, I added a short video of the GSC tenders with the boat, see if that is something you can handle.

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

If you follow our Breakaway semi live review, I added a short video of the GSC tenders with the boat, see if that is something you can handle.

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I watched your video! Wow, the whole semi live review was really helpful! Thanks.

Atlantis is gigantic and somewhat confusing to navigate. If heat is an issue you can take a taxi to the tower where you check in and then walk over to the hotel lobby. Someone would have to stay with him because everything else is open to the air. I went back to the ship ahead of everyone else because of the heat and my cell phone actually melted where the two parts were glued together and fell apart due to putting it on a lounger in the sun . Not even kidding.

Atlantis is gigantic and somewhat confusing to navigate. If heat is an issue you can take a taxi to the tower where you check in and then walk over to the hotel lobby. Someone would have to stay with him because everything else is open to the air. I went back to the ship ahead of everyone else because of the heat and my cell phone actually melted where the two parts were glued together and fell apart due to putting it on a lounger in the sun . Not even kidding.

Thanks for your suggestion on the taxi to the lobby area. I hope that works. Sounds like it was so hot when you were there! What time of year was that when you were there? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums