Inland river fishing during roundtrip Alaska cruise

boohoyal

My husband and father-in-law want a river fishing excursion vs a deep water charter. They are dreaming of this quiet remote experience away from crowds, which I'm not sure exists off a cruise boat!Our stops include Juneau Skagway and Ketchikan. Is there an option to helicopter inland for a fishing trip? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Hi there Mapleleaves or others,

My husband and father-in-law would have time to go fishing in Vancouver before we depart. How is the salmon fishing in Vancouver compared to Alaska? There are so many OTHER fun things to do in Alaska, it would be nice to have another day for other excursions. Thoughts or experience on this? Thank you!

A couple of things... Hooked On Juneau is out of business last

I checked. The king salmon fishing would be more than likely ocean fishing in that area. In June your stream fishing would be mainly for small trout or dollies. Juneau has Bear Creek Outfitters that does fly-outs for river fishing. If nothing else its a great outdoor experience.

• 1 month later...
A couple of things... Hooked On Juneau is out of business last

I checked. The king salmon fishing would be more than likely ocean fishing in that area. In June your stream fishing would be mainly for small trout or dollies. Juneau has Bear Creek Outfitters that does fly-outs for river fishing. If nothing else its a great outdoor experience.

I just checked Hooked on Juneau website before seeing this post, and it says trips are available in July. Do you have any additional information that they might not still be in business by then? And, do you have any other suggestions for an inland fishing tour (that doesn't involve a helicopter.) Thanks so much

Southeast Alaska is characterized by high mountains and short, steep rivers. Good for hydropower but not great for fishing. In addition, many of the streams have restrictions on them. For example, you are not allowed to take king salmon in fresh waters in Southeast Alaska. That means in June you would have to fish for kings in salt water off the dock in Juneau by the hatchery or the bridge in Ketchikan. You can fish for other species of salmon, but mid-June might be a little early, or you can fish for trout, dolly varden, etc. One good option might be the tour to Chilkoot Lake in Haines that runs out of Skagway. It's catch and release only. Here is the Princess version: https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-550

I just checked Hooked on Juneau website before seeing this post, and it says trips are available in July. Do you have any additional information that they might not still be in business by then? And, do you have any other suggestions for an inland fishing tour (that doesn't involve a helicopter.) Thanks so much

All I know is I tried to book with him for last August 2017 and he was not taking any bookings. He directed me to Chum Fun out of Juneau. I went with them and it was a snag fest off the dock by the hatchery. It was loaded with chum salmon at the time but very few were interested in biting.