Epic Studios...Bigger than you think...

SeaShark

There seems to be a number of people fixated on the size of the Studio Cabins on the Epic. For some, its hard to imagine living in 100 square feet.

However...

Is it really fair to compare a Studio to any other cabin?

For example: On the Norwegian Pearl, an Inside Cabin provides 143 square feet. Now while some will say "Thats 43 more than a Studio...", I think the comparison becomes a little apples-to-oranges because the Pearl's Inside is 143 sq ft for TWO people, while Epic's Studio is 100 sq ft for ONE person.

In a fair comparison, we would say that each cruiser in the Pearl Cabin gets 71.5 square feet, while the cruiser in the Epic Studio gets 100 square feet.

To be equal, the cruisers on the Pearl would need to put 2 people into a 200 square foot cabin.

Seems to me that the Studio gives a little more room...not to mention the worth of a bathroom to yourself that you never have to wait to use!

Looking across NCL's Fleet...

The smallest Inside Cabins are found on the Sky. At 121 sq ft, that is just 60.5 sq ft per guest.

The largest Inside Cabins are found on the Sun...they have some at 191 sq ft. or 95.5 sq ft per guest.

Moving on to Oceanview Cabins, the smallest are found on the Pride of America. At 144 sq ft, they provide 72 sq ft for each guest.

Over on the Sun, the largest Oceanviews provide 170 sq ft...just 85 sq ft per guest.

Moving up to Balconies....Epic has the largest at 245 sq ft or 122.5 per guest. The smallest are found of the Pride of America. At 178 sq ft, they provide each guest with 89 sq ft each.

Obviously, Suites will be larger...both in size and in price, so there's no need to cover those.

I just thought it interesting to see what you had to book to get the same 100 sq ft per guest that an Epic Studio gives.

Something to think about next time you see someone worry about the size of the cabin...In an Inside Cabin on Epic (128 sq ft) each guest gets 64 sq ft and a shared bathroom. The Studio guest gets 100 sq ft and a private bathroom.

It will be fine for me. I have a studio booked for my first ever cruise on July 10th. I'm not planning on being in my room much at all so it will be fine especially considering an outside cabin versus the studio was about two grand more when you get "penalized" for traveling solo.

I can't wait. :)

Interesting comparison, but not particularly valid. It's not like the second person in a cabin is actually using 50% of the space at any given time. If they're standing or sitting, they're using something like 4 square feet of the total room, leaving the rest available. Even in the smallest interior cabins you mention, that leaves 117 sq.ft. for the 2nd person to enjoy.

Interesting comparison, but not particularly valid. It's not like the second person in a cabin is actually using 50% of the space at any given time. If they're standing or sitting, they're using something like 4 square feet of the total room, leaving the rest available. Even in the smallest interior cabins you mention, that leaves 117 sq.ft. for the 2nd person to enjoy.

exactly

Last summer, we did 3 people in a balcony cabin on Pride of America and it was tiiiight. With the little couch thing opened, it was literally wall to wall beds with no walking space. Luckily, we were Aft (on the stern) so we had a really deep balcony and that helped to add to the illusion of space.

So, one person in 100 sq ft ... totally doable! In my last house, my office was 11x11 and I had a very large desk, a futon book shelves, filing cabinets, a photo printer sitting on a microwave cart and a dog crate for a large dog. It's really more space than you think. And ... the cruiselines are so adept at figuring out maximum storage space in these cabins ...

I cruise regularly on Tradewinds Cruise Club catamarans, which have four passenger cabins (usually) and a crew cabin. I haven't measured the passenger cabins, but I'm sure they are MUCH less than 100 sq ft--there is a bed about shoulder height on one side of the cabin, a very narrow walkway, and a built-in dresser/closet on the other side. Depending on cabin layout, the bathroom is at the end of that walkway or right behind the bed...and no air conditioning either, just hatches in the ceiling to open for airflow. of course it doesn't really matter because you are only in your cabin to sleep or use the facilities! The point here? Nothing wrong with a very small cabin, the point of trips like this, especially traveling solo, is to see the sights and experience the trip, not to hang out in your cabin!

This is a very interesting thread. Whilst I believe that 100 sq ft is ok, I am surprised that nobody has made the following point.

And that is, although the Studio is sold as a single, it was originally designed for 2, and as such will have a double bed or twins in it. In my opinion, it does change the OPs argument and figures slightly as, although there will only be 1 person in it (and at first glance it looks like that person can have the whole 100 sq ft), one half of the bed space will be wasted and unusable - unless you enjoy walking on the bed!.

Looking at the artist's impressions, it does look like you don't end up with much space between the bed and the wardrobe/vanity unit/dresser. Just think how much extra space there would be if they only put single beds in there.

I have sailed many times in proper single cabins on the (retired) QE2, and as such they did have single beds in them. [i am talking about the cheapest inside cabins.] As you may or may not be aware, there were very few cabins that were identical in size to any other as they were fitted in where they could be, and there were only 1 or 2 of them that were actually slightly larger than 100 sq ft, but the majority of them were under that amount. At times it was a bit of a squeeze, but that could be because I am a large bloke, but it was doable.

As many people have pointed out, cruise guests don't generally intend staying in their cabins for long - unless you have a penthouse suite perhaps - and so any slight inconvenience is easily swept aside.

It is because these Studios are novel that I have decided to select one for my forthcoming trip (on the 10th July). NCL did try to upgrade me to a 'proper' cabin once the Studio price was lowered, but I protested loudly, and eventually they decided to reduce the amount I owed!

I am so looking forward to this trip.

Mark in London waiting until 6th July before heading out to Miami.

This is a very interesting thread. Whilst I believe that 100 sq ft is ok, I am surprised that nobody has made the following point.

And that is, although the Studio is sold as a single, it was originally designed for 2, and as such will have a double bed or twins in it. In my opinion, it does change the OPs argument and figures slightly as, although there will only be 1 person in it (and at first glance it looks like that person can have the whole 100 sq ft), one half of the bed space will be wasted and unusable - unless you enjoy walking on the bed!.

Looking at the artist's impressions, it does look like you don't end up with much space between the bed and the wardrobe/vanity unit/dresser. Just think how much extra space there would be if they only put single beds in there.

I have sailed many times in proper single cabins on the (retired) QE2, and as such they did have single beds in them. [i am talking about the cheapest inside cabins.] As you may or may not be aware, there were very few cabins that were identical in size to any other as they were fitted in where they could be, and there were only 1 or 2 of them that were actually slightly larger than 100 sq ft, but the majority of them were under that amount. At times it was a bit of a squeeze, but that could be because I am a large bloke, but it was doable.

As many people have pointed out, cruise guests don't generally intend staying in their cabins for long - unless you have a penthouse suite perhaps - and so any slight inconvenience is easily swept aside.

It is because these Studios are novel that I have decided to select one for my forthcoming trip (on the 10th July). NCL did try to upgrade me to a 'proper' cabin once the Studio price was lowered, but I protested loudly, and eventually they decided to reduce the amount I owed!

I am so looking forward to this trip.

Mark in London waiting until 6th July before heading out to Miami.

You make some interesting points...

I see what you mean about the bed...but there are two beds in a regular cabin too. Having the "whole" bed...I believe...is much better than a twin.

Think of all of the single adults that you know... What kind of bed do they sleep in? It could be a King, Queen, Full, or Twin....but I'm betting that you'ff find for most people that it isn't a twin!

So why not have the bed with more room on vacation? Beats bringing that special someone back with you and trying to share the twin!

And don't forget....you get the whole TV to yourself. Your remote, your screen, your choice of programming.

And the one thing that the "normal" cabins cannot give you: The Studio Lounge.

You make some interesting points...

I see what you mean about the bed...but there are two beds in a regular cabin too. Having the "whole" bed...I believe...is much better than a twin.

Think of all of the single adults that you know... What kind of bed do they sleep in? It could be a King, Queen, Full, or Twin....but I'm betting that you'ff find for most people that it isn't a twin!

So why not have the bed with more room on vacation? Beats bringing that special someone back with you and trying to share the twin!

And don't forget....you get the whole TV to yourself. Your remote, your screen, your choice of programming.

And the one thing that the "normal" cabins cannot give you: The Studio Lounge.

Indeed the Studio Lounge is a definte PLUS ;) more space than just your cabin !

Well I appreciate the comparison SeaShark! Having stayed in the tiny insides and the suites solo, I have been apprehensive because I like a balcony. I just am not sure what I like most...the price of a studio which is very reasonable or paying 200% for a balcony which is way more money. Your thoughts here have me thinking more I can do a studio solo no problem. Will see what the year brings. Looking forward to the first reports of those who stay in them.

coka

Once we cruised the NORWAY in a cabin that was 66 sq. ft. for TWO OF US!! Imagine that! Not to mention it was about $2000 for the two of us for a week crammed into 66 feet. And yes, they were bunks. :(

~Intrepid <-- probably could not get in that room any more.

I would much prefer that full sized bed to a twin bed anytime! With the lulling movement of the ship and a big, comfy, new bed - I would think that studios will be comfy sleeping for one person. And that private lounge will be very nice. I think this whole studio concept is wonderful and really makes cruising accessible to people who are traveling alone and can't afford to pay the extra charge for a double cabin.

And that is, although the Studio is sold as a single, it was originally designed for 2, and as such will have a double bed or twins in it. In my opinion, it does change the OPs argument and figures slightly as, although there will only be 1 person in it (and at first glance it looks like that person can have the whole 100 sq ft), one half of the bed space will be wasted and unusable - unless you enjoy walking on the bed!

I for one hate sleeping on a twin bed, even on the rare occasions I sleep alone, without my wife. Plus, with a full-sized bed, it's more convenient for those "on the prowl" to bring someone back to the cabin. ;)

Once we cruised the NORWAY in a cabin that was 66 sq. ft. for TWO OF US!! Imagine that! Not to mention it was about $2000 for the two of us for a week crammed into 66 feet. And yes, they were bunks. :(

~Intrepid <-- probably could not get in that room any more.

I have been in one of those cabins PO78. Booked my two sons in it but less then $600 for both. Clearly they make the Studio a palace. There was not room for 2 people to get dressed at once.

I have been in one of those cabins PO78. Booked my two sons in it but less then $600 for both. Clearly they make the Studio a palace. There was not room for 2 people to get dressed at once.

ARGGGG..... The Norway! When ships were ships and cabins were cabins. Now we have Floating Hotels with spas and suites. Progress?

ARGGGG..... The Norway! When ships were ships and cabins were cabins. Now we have Floating Hotels with spas and suites. Progress?

We were pretty happy with the Jr. Suite around the corner from that little inside cabin. Better then the ones I had had the new ships prior. One of the originals on the pool deck.

2336383200059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

:) Memories ... my first "cabin" was a deck cabin on a Windjammer. Paid $50 more than the "regular" cabins (and it was actually a lot smaller). Was very, very, very rustic. Bunk beds ... and an interesting bathroom ... was awesome getting to the little islands. Glad I did it ... but 30 yrs. later - I know I will much prefer the creature comforts of the Epic.

Now if they could come up with a 100 SQF Studio Balcony I would be in. I am not ready for an inside inside the inside cabins. :D

Although...I know I would sleep extremely well...they look midship...in the very middle. I guess there would be little movement in my studio...unlike ColinIllinois'. hahaha

coka

Although...I know I would sleep extremely well...they look midship...in the very middle. I guess there would be little movement in my studio...unlike ColinIllinois'. hahaha

coka

I just went back and read this thread to "get" that comment, LOL. :D

Archived