Assigned the wrong room category!

Sumerk86

Hi, I need some help here. I’ve got a cruise booked for March 2018 on Meraviglia for 3 adults in a SUPER FAMILY BALCONY CATEGORY. This was the cheapest way for us to have two separate rooms, both with balconies. The family rooms are guaranteed rooms so I was not able to pick out r rooms when I made the reservation. The MSC USA website clearly states a super family balcony room consists of two balcony rooms. We were recently assigned our rooms and when I looked at the deck plans we have one inside room connected to one balcony room- which is clearly not a super family balcony. This type of room arrangement is a ‘family balcony’ category. This category is a DOWNGRADE from the category that I booked and paid for. My travel agency has been on the phone with msc for over two weeks now with no change. Any suggestions on what to do to get this issue resolved? MSC accepted their mistake initially and said it’d be fixed but two weeks later they’ve done nothing. And now it seems like MSC is denying there is an issue with the room I was assigned.... getting fed up with it all. I was really looking forward to this cruise but the MSC customer service is making me have second thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd try calling MSC and demand to speak with a manager, and don't take "no" for an answer. Stay on the phone until it's resolved and get the name of every person you speak too. Sometimes being polite and firm but not rude will work.

Sent from my SKY 5.0Pro II using Forums mobile app

Before doing this ... which I think is a great approach ... download an app that will record the phone call on your cell phone. Yes, MSC probably records their calls .... but it's easier to find YOUR phone call on YOUR cell phone than YOUR phone call on MSC's recordings.

I am a bit curious, how is the inside cabin connected to the balcony? I normally thought the inside cabin would be across the hall. Do you have a deck plan or cabin numbers you were given?

Note: Super Family Plus cabins combine 3 connecting rooms (1 Inside plus 2 Balcony) this was the wording for the cabin I found on another website, showing the deck plans/cabins. While they show the other as two cabins with both having a balcony (not the plus), the Super Family Balcony and then lastly a Family Cabin.

Looks like what they provided you was the Family Cabin, which shows an inside/balcony. Is it possible that they didn't actually book the correct category in the beginning? Perhaps a mis-understanding of which category was wanted?

Before doing this ... which I think is a great approach ... download an app that will record the phone call on your cell phone. Yes, MSC probably records their calls .... but it's easier to find YOUR phone call on YOUR cell phone than YOUR phone call on MSC's recordings.

Brilliant!! Thank you for sharing. :)

Is it possible MSc screwed up the categories from the start? I often think language barriers may be to blame for how things are interpreted.

No excuses though, this is just another example of how MSC’s lack of communication effect travelers. I’m truly sorry you are going through this hassle. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When u look on the uk website for meraviglia it states that a super family consists of a balcony and an inside and the super family plus is 2 balcony’s and an inside [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, we booked online through a travel website. And before I booked I specifically asked what that room entailed. At the time of booking I was told through my travel agent who spoke to an MSC rep that the room was two connecting balcony rooms.

Anyway, after weeks of back and forth they refunded me $330 and gave me a $100 on board credit. But the did not change me to the correct room category, so we are still in one balcony and one inside room. I guess it could be worse so I’m just accepting this and hoping the rest of the vacation goes well!

The cabin numbers are 9275 & 9277

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two balcony rooms are connected but with an Inside cabin between them and this is what would make it a super family room of 3 cabins.

The fact that you have a Balcony and Inside connected makes it a family room is my understanding, the info you were given from the outside as you now know was wrong.