Carnival Dream vs. Norwegian Epic??

We're in the process of picking a cruise for our honeymoon and my fiance is IN LOVE with the Norwegian Epic. The Dream has a similar cruise (same number of days, all of the same destinations) that leaves the same day (with one additional destination in the itenerary) that would be about $1,500 cheaper for the two of us than the Epic. We've done several Carnival cruises before and have always been pleased. We've never cruised NCL but have heard good things. Input, especially regarding the differences between the two ships?

Thanks!

Specifically, what would you like to know about these ships?? Are you looking for people's opinion who have been on these ships?

The Carnival Dream is currently under construction and will not be done until Sept. 2009, so no one can give you there "true" opinion of the ship.

The Norwegian Epic is currently under construction and will not be done until July 2010., so again, no one can give a "true" opinion.

Unfortunatly, you can only see the differences from what is being told online. From what I have heard, the NCL Epic will be have some extremely small cabins. If you have sailed Carnival before, my suggestion would be to go with the Carnival Dream if your looking to book now because you will know what your getting, or take a leap and try NCL.

IMO - The difference in cost being $1500.00, would be huge to me. I've never been on NCL, but I've heard from some friends that have sailed both lines, that the CCL product gives you a better bang for your buck and is a better product overall.

Is the Epic booking already? If so and you can part with some funds, then make a reservation on both, while you can still have a good choice of cabins, do more research, then wait for some Dream reviews to come out and then at least your decision will be 50% informed.

Thanks for the input y'all. I knew that they are both currently under construction, I just didn't know if anyone had any insider info (e.g. the Epic's cabins are small - thanks for that info btw). Fifteen hundred dollars does carry a substantial weight, especially since we're in the process of planning a big wedding. We'll probably go with the Dream, but it will be interesting to hear what other people have to say about the two ships (and the two cruise lines... we've never cruised NCL).

Thanks for everything! :]

Thanks for the input y'all. I knew that they are both currently under construction, I just didn't know if anyone had any insider info (e.g. the Epic's cabins are small - thanks for that info btw). Fifteen hundred dollars does carry a substantial weight, especially since we're in the process of planning a big wedding. We'll probably go with the Dream, but it will be interesting to hear what other people have to say about the two ships (and the two cruise lines... we've never cruised NCL).

Thanks for everything! :]

Since your honeymoon dates probably aren't too flexible, I'd suggest that you try to make your decision soon. The Dream appears to be booking very well. Since you're still 1+ year out, pricing and cabin selection should still be pretty good, but because it's a summer cruise it will sell quickly and have lots of kids.

I'm not sure what type of cabins you are looking to book on these ships but $1500 is a substantial difference. Have you thought about maybe booking THE BEST (i.e. Category 12) on the Dream especially since the price difference is so huge? :)

Are you looking at booking an inside or outside cabin? B/C on NCL the inside cabins are tiny tiny tiny! If you sneeze you will surely bang into a wall. That said, the balcony cabins are BEAUTIFUL on their ships.

I think CCL will probably have better food. Of course this is all speculation based on other ships I've sailed. NCL Pearl had 13 restaurants, some pay, some not. Anytime dining was fun, there was always food to be found, but it certainly wasn't great.

For me, here are the differences.

FOOD: CCL

ACTIVITIES: Epic has some great bells and whistles that DREAM doesn't.

SHIP: NCL (Epic looks awesome, and if it's anything like Pearl, it will blow you away)

KIDS CLUBS: CCL

Overall, you would probably have a great time on either ship. I'd give the edge to Epic but when you factor in 1500.00 price difference, I'd go with Dream. NCL nickel and dimes ya a lot. Have a great time!

We've been running the numbers and listening to y'all's advice. We're gonna go with Carnival. The cruise rep suggested other 14 day cruises on the Liberty and Freedom for us to consider. We sailed on the Liberty last year so we're kind of leaning away from it. The balcony is $600 more than the Oceanview on the Dream and $800 and $900 more than the oceanview on the Freedom and Liberty respectively. We've never had a balcony. IS IT WORTH IT? We'll be on the ship for fourteen days... It's our honeymoon... Money is money though...

Congratulations!

I don't really have any advice between CCL & NCL - but DEFINITELY go with a balcony if you can afford it. It is SO worth it. Especially for a 14 day cruise. You can order room service in the morning, have cocktails out there, your husband can hang out while you are getting ready for dinner, etc etc!

Beware: once you have a balcony you will not want to ever cruise in any stateroom other than a balcony!

I would definitely check out the Cove Balcony's on the Dream. They look like they would give you a sense of privacy.

Without looking I am not sure what level they are or what the equivant on NCL is but for 14 days, I think the lowest level of balcony would be something nice to have.

I did a 7 day NCL and have gone back to Carnival.

I liked NCL but found the food better on Carnival.

Since you are just getting married, you will be wanting to do a little budgeting a spend your money on excursions, not food is my guess - the point with NCL is the extra restaurants which can added $20 - 60 per couple per meal. That is a lot of extra when you could spend that money on spa treatments and other stuff.

The Epic looks really cool but not for $1500 more (plus extra for the variety restaurants which you know you would end up doing).

Dream will have the Supper Club which makes sense to do once or twice in 14 days. You don't have to pay extra for sushi on CCL. And CCL will have high tea on sea days. that is one of my favorite things.

When you were comparing, where you do balconies ? I would never go back to oceanview after the balconies. We started with 1 Oceanview. Then balconies for 7 cruises. Now the last 2 have done Cat 11. Those are my favorite. I love the tub with the whirlpool & VIP check in. I would either do Balcony or the Jr Suite cat 11. It still is cheaper than Epic. Do the Supper club once . We always do it once or twice. Once I am very happy. Supper club is Great. Depends on your budget. I try and hide money away all year. It comes in handy. Tell your friends when they ask you what you want for Xmas or showers, tell them carnival dollars. It will help pay for your cruise and all the extras. We always get a couple hundred or so for Xmas. It helps pay the bill at the end. Enjoy yourself no matter what you do.

Well, I'm going to be the dissenting vote here.

We've sailed both Carnival and NCL. Though we enjoyed both cruises, we enjoyed the NCL cruise more.

That being said, I think you need to be looking beyond just the price in this case. My belief is that the Dream is just another Carnival ship - nothing radically different in the product being offered. However, there are really only 2 ships that everyone is watching for - the RCL Oasis/Allure and the NCL Epic. Just look at some of the things NCL is already letting out...Blue Man Group - where else are you going to see that kind of entertainment at sea? On land Blue Man Group tickets will run you $75 to $125 per person and is included with your cruise fare.

The Epic has the wave shaped rooms and new designs/layouts. Heck if I know if it will work...but it will be new/unique. I think what the NCL Epic is offering is the kind of thing that you might want to splurge a little on for a honeymoon - because you are guaranteed that nobody else is going to offer that same experience.

Regardless of which you ultimately choose, it will be your honeymoon and be memorable.

Howard

Archived