In search of clam chowda and fried scallops

LustforLife

Hi all,

We're doing a Portland, Maine; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia itinerary next month and I was looking for suggestions of the places to get the best clam chowder and fried scallops. Appreciate any advice you all have!

Thanks!

:D

I'll start it off with suggestions for Bar Harbor:

Fish House Grill - http://fishhouse-grill.com/ at the town dock

Stewmans Lobsters - http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/ (at the Bar Harbor location) turn right after leaving the town dock; it will be the next building on the right that you come to on West St.

located diagonally across the street from the entrance to Stewmans

The very best lobster would be had at a lobster pound such as Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound - http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/ but transportation would be required to visit.

SBtS

I have to laugh - Not all Mainer's have a Downeast accent and some of us actually pronounce the "R" on the end of words. Although sometimes we put an "R" at the end of a word that ends in a vowel. I can remember my DD writing in the 1st grade about "Having an idea" ... but she wrote it "having an idear" (I-de ur).

If you love lobster or scallops don't forget the Maine shrimp --- they are small but have wonderful flavor ... love fried shrimp .... and even better is Maine crabmeat .... horrible picking them, as they too are small, but great fun to eat. Also lobster stew is yummy. (Now I'm hungry!!!:D).

John - I've loved the Trenton Lobster Pound since the middle 70's ... It is the perfect way to eat lobster ... Jan

Just a question about lobster, oops , "lobsta". You toss the guy into boiling water and that's it. So, why is one place better than another, except for price, service, ocean view, etc?

Also, what exactly are lobster rolls? You can guess I'm not from "lobsta" country, but love it and am looking forward to consuming quantities on the cruise.

I hesitate to add, however I did live in Florida for a number of years, and the stone crabs there beat out "lobsta" by a mile.

OK,OK, but I'm still a sucker for deep fried scallops, wherever I can find them!

a lobster is a lobster, but it does depend upon the size of the critter and if it is a shedder, chick, hard shell etc. When you drop them into boiling water we always but them in head first ... hate the noise of their claws on the pot!

A lobster roll is lobster meat with mayo in a bread roll. If you want to be a true Mainiac (technically we are Mainers) then one needs to eat lobster outdoors on a picnic table with old clothes on and plenty of paper towels to wipe up all the mess from one's hands and chin.

Bit of trivia - Lobster used to be considered to be poor peoples food. It was served to the inmates in the state prison until they complained so much that we had a law on our books making it illegal to make them eat lobster more than a few times per week. Once planes made it easier to ship them out of state demand became greater (and never under estimate the power of advertising!). Jan

PS - We used to be able to get lobster at McDonalds and around Mother's Day they sell for 5.99/pound

There are some really nice restaurants along Commercial Street and the Old Port, where you will dock in Portland. Gilbert's Chowder House isn't fancy, but you will like the chowder. Dimillo's is a fun place to go (a former ferry boat turned into a restaurant!). If it is a nice sunny day, ask to sit up on the top deck. You'll overlook the harbor and marina next door. All the seafood items mentioned will be on the menu. Have fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

We just did an 8-day cruise: Portland, St John Bay, Halifax, Bar Harbor, and Boston. We had lobster roll and chowder each day.

My choices are: Portland - Gilberts - best chowder, and Maine shrimp, also the lobster roll -

St Johns Bay - Grannons - chowder and lobster roll

Halifax - old choice was McKelvies - but they hadn't changed to their summer menu - so no lobster roll - settled for a lobster quesadilla. Chowder was good, and we had scallops wrapped with bacon for an appetizer. Now on the hunt for a new place next year. We had good reports about Your Fathers Mustache from table mates.

Bar Harbor - Thirsty Whale - chowder, Maine shrimp, and lobster roll.

Boston - Boston Chowda at Quincy Market - the BEST chowder of the trip, and lobster roll.

This trip I took pictures of the food. I forgot in Portland, and only got a picture of the Gilbert sign.

I don't do the fried scallops - but both places in Maine did great fried Maine shrimp - so if they have scallops - they should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
We just did an 8-day cruise: Portland, St John Bay, Halifax, Bar Harbor, and Boston. We had lobster roll and chowder each day.

My choices are: Portland - Gilberts - best chowder, and Maine shrimp, also the lobster roll -

St Johns Bay - Grannons - chowder and lobster roll

Halifax - old choice was McKelvies - but they hadn't changed to their summer menu - so no lobster roll - settled for a lobster quesadilla. Chowder was good, and we had scallops wrapped with bacon for an appetizer. Now on the hunt for a new place next year. We had good reports about Your Fathers Mustache from table mates.

Bar Harbor - Thirsty Whale - chowder, Maine shrimp, and lobster roll.

Boston - Boston Chowda at Quincy Market - the BEST chowder of the trip, and lobster roll.

This trip I took pictures of the food. I forgot in Portland, and only got a picture of the Gilbert sign.

I don't do the fried scallops - but both places in Maine did great fried Maine shrimp - so if they have scallops - they should be good.

Thanks for such a wonderful list of local foods. Were these places all walkable from the ship / dock / pier?

For Bar Harbor, the Thirsty Whale: it is located one block up Main St and a right onto Cottage St. It takes about 5-7 minutes to walk with no window shopping en route, but it is not on the waterfront.

Food is very subjective, so my suggestions are West St Cafe http://www.weststreetcafe.com/ , Stewmans Lobster Pound http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/ , the Fish House Grill http://fishhouse-grill.com/ (located on the street side of the tender dock) or the Quarterdeck Restaurant http://www.quarterdeckbarharbor.com/ (located just about across the street from the Fish House Grill) . All are located on West St on the waterfront and less than a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. IMHO, you will get a meal at any of those restaurants as good as or better than most other BH restaurants.

SBtS

Archived