Athens hotel for two nights

jabrown40

We are planning two nights post cruise in Athens (wish I could stay longer, but work calls.....) and trying to make a decision between Athens Gate and Grand Bretagne. I have read and looked at pictures re both on Trip Advisor, but my question is more about location. I'm just getting familiar with the areas of Athens, and understand Athens Gate is in the Plaka, right by the Acropolis. I'm seeing the GB across from the Presidential palace in a square.. Is one area better than the other? I don't know if we'll be in the hotel long enough to justify the additional expense? We're certainly not going to have time for the pool, but the breakfast at the GB looks awesome. Both include breakfast in the price. So far we are looking at a Segway tour to get around and stop at a lot of the sights, and a walking food tour. (Have done both in other cities and love these activities.) The GB is almost double the price. Would appreciate info from those who know the areas, and the hotels!

Athens Gate seems to have quite a few tour groups staying there. The GB is one of those places where they put heads of state on visits to Athens. I stayed at the GB twice (work paid!) and I found it underwhelming, considering their prices. And their extra charges are very high.

Privately we stay at the Hera Hotel. It is 100 m from the Acropolis Museum and underground station. Very nice rooms, especially the ones overlooking the Acropolis. Excellent staff, more than decent breakfast. A rooftop bar and restaurant with Acropolis views. A very nice cocktail bar directly next door. Dozens of decent restaurants 100 m away and 5 minutes stroll to the Plaka. Last stay there was 2 weeks ago.

I've stayed at both the Athens Gate and the Grande Bretagne twice. I've not noticed tour groups staying at Athens Gate.

Both hotels have a lot to recommend them. If your primary focus is on seeing the Acropolis and all the sites around it, the Agora, the temple of Zeus, the Acropolis museum -- then Athens Gate is probably more accessible. But truthfully the two hotels are close -- easily walkable distance or one metro stop (with metro a few steps from each hotel).

I am not such a fan of the Plaka for evenings it's so very touristy in my opinion. Good food is there but it takes some effort to find it. I like the Syntagma Square area (where GB is located) better in that respect.

A good compromise might be to stay at the cheaper (but still very good) Athens Gate and go have a drink on the GB terrace at sunset before having dinner in the area.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Athens gate, because I don't think we'll spend very much time in the hotel. Then the other half of me doesn't want to be disappointed that I didn't stay there, considering that Condé Nast considers that one of the top 100 hotels in the world, has a lot of history, and the rooms and bathrooms appear beautiful. That's one of the reasons that I was interested in hearing more about the area. The Plaka to me seems like one big tourist trap also, but I would like the option of finding an outdoor café to sit and have a glass of wine and people watch!

We are staying at the Herodion Hotel in April 2018, roof top restaurant overlooking the Acropolis. Great rates and great reviews.

I very big second to this hotel. Nice rooms, better than average BK, and perfect location at the base of the Acropolis. Rooftop bar was not a full restaurant at the time we stayed but perfect for evening cocktail and snack with view to die for. The Athens Gate also gets great reviews here and on TripAdvisor, we enjoyed dinner at there rooftop restaurant.

In any event look at Strofi just up the block as a place to eat. Wonderful food, million dollar view

I'm kind of leaning towards the Athens gate, because I don't think we'll spend very much time in the hotel. Then the other half of me doesn't want to be disappointed that I didn't stay there, considering that Condé Nast considers that one of the top 100 hotels in the world, has a lot of history, and the rooms and bathrooms appear beautiful. That's one of the reasons that I was interested in hearing more about the area. The Plaka to me seems like one big tourist trap also, but I would like the option of finding an outdoor café to sit and have a glass of wine and people watch!

I enjoy historic hotels, which is why I like the GB. Heinrich Schliemann lived there (on the entire top floor, I understand) at various points during his excavations, before he built his 'mansion' down the street. I love the lobby and the bar on the lobby level with the huge tapestry of the famous "Alexander mosaic". And of course, the rooftop area where breakfast is served (and drinks/dinner in the evenings).

But you can see most of that just by stopping in to the hotel. The rooms, while very nice appointed, are by and large of average size, as are the bathrooms. Of course, that may be different in a more deluxe room or a suite....;)

After much thought and trip advisor posts, I decided on Grand Bretagne - It's our 35th anniversary, and I don't know that I'll ever return to Athens. There's a lot of world out there to see! So I decided to make the last couple days of our trip special. Thank you all!

We will be staying at NJV Athens Plaza, just two doors down from GB. We are in Athens only one night pre-cruise and don't want to splurge on our hotel as we have other special accommodations planned for our 18 day itinerary. We got a great rate for iPrefer members of €235/night for a Superior room with balcony and city view including breakfast, tax, upgrade upon availability, wifi, early checkin and late checkout.

Grand Bretagne is across from Syntagma Square, which I think is a great location in Athens. They have a rooftop restaurant which looks nice for the views if you want an upscale meal but we are going for a more casual authentic Greek restaurant for our one night. There is also a City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off bus tour right at Syntagma, another reason it's a good location. Since you are planning something special for your anniversary, Grand Bretagne is an excellent choice.

Others may want to also look at King George, a luxury hotel situated in-between GB and NJV.

May I ask what casual restaurants you're looking at? I would like something for our first night there.

There is one very good casual restaurant nearby that I've eaten at several times -- the name is Tzitzikas Kai Mermigas. There are a couple of locations in Athens but the close one is located on Mitropoleos street, which is the street that runs along Syntagma Square on the opposite side from the GB hotel. (Address is 12 Mitropoleos; with GB at your back, turn right, keeping the square on your left-hand side. Then turn left on Stadiou and right on Mitropoleos, the restaurant is only about a block from the square but it has an inconspicuous entrance. No view, but excellent updated non-touristy Greek food.

Review here: http://dobbernationloves.com/2015/01/26/review-o-tzitzikas-o-mermiga-athens/

Another classic place to try for a snack or lunch is the famous traditional Ariston's which makes Greek stuffed pies (hand pies stuffed with delicious traditional fillings like spinach, feta, mushrooms, etc.) Also very close by: http://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/athens/2012/ariston/

• 2 months later...
We will be staying at NJV Athens Plaza, just two doors down from GB. We are in Athens only one night pre-cruise and don't want to splurge on our hotel as we have other special accommodations planned for our 18 day itinerary. We got a great rate for iPrefer members of €235/night for a Superior room with balcony and city view including breakfast, tax, upgrade upon availability, wifi, early checkin and late checkout.

Grand Bretagne is across from Syntagma Square, which I think is a great location in Athens. They have a rooftop restaurant which looks nice for the views if you want an upscale meal but we are going for a more casual authentic Greek restaurant for our one night. There is also a City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off bus tour right at Syntagma, another reason it's a good location. Since you are planning something special for your anniversary, Grand Bretagne is an excellent choice.

Others may want to also look at King George, a luxury hotel situated in-between GB and NJV.

We are considering the King George which is available through out Starwood points, as is the Grand Bretagne. We will be there for 2 nights post cruise, so any advice is appreciated.

The "GB" is an institution in Athens and in the truly perfect location. For those that enjoy older very elegant hotels (some would say their rooms are dated) this is the place to stay. And while we are talking about that part of town, you might want to check-out one of our favorite Athens restaurants which is called Daphne's. Its far from the highest rated place in Athens, but we have always had terrific fresh seafood at Daphne's...and its within walking distance of the GB.

Hank

• 2 months later...

For others who may be looking for recommendations, we spent 2 nights at The Plaka Hotel and it was absolutely perfect. Wonderful rooftop terrace, had a room with a view of the Acropolis, and their breakfast was delicious. Great location for walking to other attractions as well. Highly recommend it.

Can anyone offer advice regarding getting from the cruise port to the airport? Specifically, would you use a taxi, or would you arrange a private car? Am I correct that the airport is about an hour from the cruise port?

Thanks!!

There is a bus service from the port to the airport. I think it is the X95 or X96?

Can anyone offer advice regarding getting from the cruise port to the airport? Specifically, would you use a taxi, or would you arrange a private car? Am I correct that the airport is about an hour from the cruise port?

Thanks!!

We used Welcome Pick Ups to get from the airport to our hotel and they did a great job. You pre-pay online and they even send you a photo of your driver via text message. Great service.