Katakolon train to Olympia still running in 2017?

fuzzy12

A search on Cruise Critic is bringing up ancient results from 2009 or older. I just checked their train schedule site http://www.trainose.gr/en/ for info from Katakolo to Olympic on our date and there are no scheduled trips. Wondering if their site is down or if it just does not run that route anymore

If the train doesn't run, are there alternatives for getting to Olympia yourself? Any local or shuttle buses?

A search on Cruise Critic is bringing up ancient results from 2009 or older. I just checked their train schedule site http://www.trainose.gr/en/ for info from Katakolo to Olympic on our date and there are no scheduled trips. Wondering if their site is down or if it just does not run that route anymore

If the train doesn't run, are there alternatives for getting to Olympia yourself? Any local or shuttle buses?

Yes, there are many buses 3-5 E pp in port ,round trip . They will give you 2 hours in Olympia .

Tour buses.

There will be a load of people holding up sign boards as you get off.

Ignore the sales spiel of 'leaving now', they leave when they have sold enough tickets but you still get 2 hours at the site.

On the return be at the pick up spot at the right time. The bus arrives, you get on, it leaves. No counting of numbers, so if you are not there then tough.

Tour buses.

There will be a load of people holding up sign boards as you get off.

Ignore the sales spiel of 'leaving now', they leave when they have sold enough tickets but you still get 2 hours at the site.

On the return be at the pick up spot at the right time. The bus arrives, you get on, it leaves. No counting of numbers, so if you are not there then tough.

Thanks for for the details!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We rented a car from Avis - 50 euro plus gas. It is EXTREMELY easy to get to Olympia from the port. Avis was wonderful. They gave us maps and detailed instructions. I was concerned prior to the excursion, but there was absolutely no need for concern. We also had time to go to the beach and shop at the port.

We rented a car from Avis - 50 euro plus gas. It is EXTREMELY easy to get to Olympia from the port. Avis was wonderful. They gave us maps and detailed instructions. I was concerned prior to the excursion, but there was absolutely no need for concern. We also had time to go to the beach and shop at the port.

We also rented from Avis and it was an easy and leisurely drive. Because of the car, we stayed and went through the museum thoroughly.

We rented from Avis as well in May, 40 euros plus 15 euro for gas. Easy directions to get to Olympia and free parking lot near the museum. We prebooked online and beat the bus crowds to the site. We had the ruins to ourselves for at least an hour however the museum was another story but at least we could take our time. 2 hrs isn't enough for those on bus. I didn't see anyone walking to/from train station or any trains so can't say for sure if it was operational.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I went to the website (http://www.trainose.gr/en/) and sent a "incident report" since I couldn't find any other way to reach customer service. In it I asked if there would be a train from Katakolo to Olympia on the date this fall, when our ship will be in port.

I received this reply in less than 24 hours

customer support TRAINOSE (No Reply) <customer-support@trainose.gr>

Dear Sir/Madam,

The first train is 08:40 and then in every ship arrival there is a train about 1 hour later for this route.

There you can visit the place and 1 hour before the ship departure they return you to Katakolo.

Best regards

Customer Service

Edited by lucia y marisol
Removed a bunch of excess space and added train website link