Life vest enforcement CocoCay?

Nemanoxer

Hi there.

First of all, I wanna say that I sincerely hope that all the fellow cruises from TX, FL, SC... here are okay and doing good, not having suffered too much from those hurricanes :o:) .

My question about CocoCay: I am reading everywhere that guests are obliged to wear a live vest whenever being in the open waters. However, I usually don´t do any snorkel excursions or other live vest obliged excursions because I tend to panic in a live vest (yeah, now that sounds absurd, but it has always been like that :confused:).

What does the reality look like on CocoCay? When I decide to move around the island independently and also go swimming at my personal leisure - will there be stewards / life guards hunting after people not wearing live vests? Will I be forced to wear a life vest even when being on my own?

If you are going to snorkel at Coco Cay, they usually make you wear a snorkel vest. If you are snorkeling independently with your own equipment, they will require you to rent a snorkel vest. Snorkel vests are not like typical life jackets, they have less flotation in them and you can blow them up as little as you want.

Some people say they have not been required to wear a snorkel vest, we have each time we have been there.

• 1 month later...

What is the fee to rent a snorkel vest? Should I just book the ship excursion since it is come and go anyways, or is it worth it to bring our own gear? A mask and fins in our luggage isn't a big deal, I pack really light.