What would you like to see on Virgin Voyages

crusinthrough

I’m guessing that O regulars are an even older demographic than what I experienced. The longer and more exotic the cruise, the older demographic it tends to be. Most younger people either don’t have the time or money for the longer exotic cruises.

In the same category of cruising I actually preferred Azamara over Oceania. More eclectic decor, friendlier crew (perhaps the nicest I’ve ever experienced), and a more vibrant atmosphere onboard. I give the best cuisine to Oceania though. It was unbeatable. Definitely a cruise line for foodies if that is your number one priority. Another thing that turned me off to Oceania was the drink prices. Perhaps the highest I’ve seen on any cruise line except NCL (same family). I felt like I was being gouged.

Back to VV, I do hope they can be a product that all adults find appealing. Something for everyone.

I concur. You only need to read the O boards, roll calls and watch the many videos on Youtube to get a true and accurate look at the O demographics. They're simply a world apart from VV's target market!

I have also posted in the thread- what I do not want on Virgin.

Basically, take Oceania and make the experience less traditional so the product appeals to a wider consumer base.

Virgin should take Oceania as the base line; Oceania does many things very well and their food and service are simply outstanding.

* Maintain a class free product, no separate lounges and restaurants for specific guests

* Forward observation lounge - emphasize the ships relationship with the ocean - have viewing areas enclosed and open (think the forward open wings above the bridge on the QM2 - beyond outstanding and unique anywhere)

* Have live music outside - like the back seating area on pool deck - 5 pm, have a wide range of music

* Real innovation in food and very high quality of food - with the smaller ships, they should be able to source local product at ports - like we enjoyed on Oceania

* Retain optionality - let guests decide if they want a beverage package or purchase shore excursions

* Automation - order stuff and services from a device IF you want to - a necessity to attract the younger guest

* Avoid downloading the doing of services (see above item) to the guest like RCL just announced this week - thus allowing them to fire staff and reap $ savings - by passing on the doing to the guest. I will not support this approach

* Have a very high level of staff service - on Oceania when I finished a plate and set it to the side of the table, it was whisked away in under 30 seconds every time - this level of service must be made available to every guest

* Ensure excellent information sessions on the various ports - make sure they are not "selling" lectures like on the mass lines

* Ensure a very wide range of entertainment

Virgin needs to be different from Oceania, Azamara in order to create a niche in the "above the mass lines" level where O&A occupy - Oceania and Azamara are in the "premium" category, a bit below luxury where Crystal, Regent, Seaborne live. No Celebrity, you are not a premium line, get over yourself.

There are many cruise guests who are fed up with the mass lines - my September cruise on Oceania Marina had so many 1st time guests who were moving from Celebrity (me included), it was wild.

Virgin can simply be a "bit more hip" than Oceania and Azamara and do very well in this increasingly popular market segment.

Wishing every success to Virgin

Service, food and a close to the sea environment. Too many ships hide the fact that you are on a ship and not a shopping mall.

Less nickel and diming....doesn't have to be all inclusive but no paying for food.

Hope there are single cabins....I hate paying double.

No ship within a ship class structure as mentioned above.

And a good piano bar that opens out onto a deck like on the Paul Gauguin ....heaven!

One last thing...have the tech for those that need it but not rely on it. I'd rather place my order with a bar staff member than doing it on a tablet. I go to sea to disconnect

I have also posted in the thread- what I do not want on Virgin.

Basically, take Oceania and make the experience less traditional so the product appeals to a wider consumer base.

Virgin should take Oceania as the base line; Oceania does many things very well and their food and service are simply outstanding.

* Maintain a class free product, no separate lounges and restaurants for specific guests

* Forward observation lounge - emphasize the ships relationship with the ocean - have viewing areas enclosed and open (think the forward open wings above the bridge on the QM2 - beyond outstanding and unique anywhere)

* Have live music outside - like the back seating area on pool deck - 5 pm, have a wide range of music

* Real innovation in food and very high quality of food - with the smaller ships, they should be able to source local product at ports - like we enjoyed on Oceania

* Retain optionality - let guests decide if they want a beverage package or purchase shore excursions

* Automation - order stuff and services from a device IF you want to - a necessity to attract the younger guest

* Avoid downloading the doing of services (see above item) to the guest like RCL just announced this week - thus allowing them to fire staff and reap $ savings - by passing on the doing to the guest. I will not support this approach

* Have a very high level of staff service - on Oceania when I finished a plate and set it to the side of the table, it was whisked away in under 30 seconds every time - this level of service must be made available to every guest

* Ensure excellent information sessions on the various ports - make sure they are not "selling" lectures like on the mass lines

* Ensure a very wide range of entertainment

Virgin needs to be different from Oceania, Azamara in order to create a niche in the "above the mass lines" level where O&A occupy - Oceania and Azamara are in the "premium" category, a bit below luxury where Crystal, Regent, Seaborne live. No Celebrity, you are not a premium line, get over yourself.

There are many cruise guests who are fed up with the mass lines - my September cruise on Oceania Marina had so many 1st time guests who were moving from Celebrity (me included), it was wild.

Virgin can simply be a "bit more hip" than Oceania and Azamara and do very well in this increasingly popular market segment.

Wishing every success to Virgin

Everything I've seen about other Virgin products to date is mass market (often hyped as not mass market but still mass market) Virgin Atlantic is not a Premium Airline, Upper Class is nice but Economy is very ordinary. Virgin trains in the U.K. Are fine but again not Premium. Virgin Holidays pitch very much at the 3 star / 4 star / disappointingly average standard 5 star market (you won't find a holiday to the Four Seasons / Aman / Mandarin Oriental in their brochures).

My guess is they see their clients coming from Royal Carribbean / Celebrity / MSC / P and O

DYKWIA:

Thank you for your analysis about the quality level of current Virgin products - hummm.

Based on your description of their products, they are not currently operating at a sufficient quality level to really compete with even Celebrity, let alone the Azamara, Oceania.

Will be interesting to see if they corporately "reach" upwards in developing this product

DYKWIA:

Thank you for your analysis about the quality level of current Virgin products - hummm.

Based on your description of their products, they are not currently operating at a sufficient quality level to really compete with even Celebrity, let alone the Azamara, Oceania.

Will be interesting to see if they corporately "reach" upwards in developing this product

I don’t disagree with these critiques of Virgin’s already existing business ventures however I do think that given Branson’s passion for Necker Island and the Caribbean, also all sorts of maritime related activities... if he’s really hands-on with VV and it’s focused on being the ultimate getaway for young to middle aged adults where you can TRULY have an all inclusive experience, as in get on board, do whatever is offered/available without having to consider cost, then this venture will be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you read any of the interviews with Branson about his proposed line?

It won't be anything like O or AZ. These two are not quite the floating nursing homes that are Regent, Crystal or Cunard, but they do attract an older crowd.

Branson is aiming at a very different demographic.

I don't really see the point of comparing VV to these other lines it's a bit like comparing Mercedes Benz and BMW to Ford and GM.

Have you been on these lines?

Have you read any of the interviews with Branson about his proposed line?

It won't be anything like O or AZ. These two are not quite the floating nursing homes that are Regent, Crystal or Cunard, but they do attract an older crowd.

Branson is aiming at a very different demographic.

I don't really see the point of comparing VV to these other lines it's a bit like comparing Mercedes Benz and BMW to Ford and GM.

Just dreaming here:

More interesting, off the beaten path tours

Laundry rooms

Better lectures on board, art and cooking classes

Nightlife including music from 80s, 90s :)

Lots of live music of every type

Included specialty coffee several places on board

• 4 weeks later...
I'm really excited by VV, and hopefully it can provide something lacking on most cruise lines. We've been cruising for 20+ years now and have been watching cruise line head toward the bottom. Maybe its the accounting firms in all those companies, but the trend certainly has been to make the cruise just about free, and then charge you for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

When we cruised 20 years ago we started on Royal Caribbean and it was fantastic. Everything with few exceptions was free once you paid for the cruise. They even had one or two midnight buffets which took the crew days to accomplish. All the food was everything you wanted, included.

What I would LOVE to see was a cruise with everything included, including gratuities, reasonable excursions, all dining, all drinks, at least at dinner, and generally a casual atmosphere. I'm not saying I want lots of excess, just a really nice cruise where people can relax, and not have to worry if they need to pay for this and that. Why not even include photos, you get all you digital pictures and say 10 printed pictures. And add in some good entertainment. That would be FABULOUS.

Charge what you have to to make this a reality. I'm not looking for budget, especially since most people have to end up paying for all these things ANYWAY, why not just charge in advance instead of the the day you depart?

What I describe here sounds pretty basic, but it is lacking in the cruise industry. Maybe Regents Seven Seas is the closest, but you want it to be much more casual. People can dress up if they like, maybe with a separate dining room, otherwise its casual.

Oh, Richard should visits the ships now and again. (If he can part with his island.:D )

Hi

Actually, there are already cruise lines that do that, you don't have to wait for Virgin Voyages to come along. They cover all or at least some of the things you are asking for. Look at Seabourn, Crystal, Silvercrest, Regent but they do not come cheap. For a little "less expensive" option, try Viking Ocean(includes excursions, free non-treatment spa, free speciality dining, superb MRD restaurant and buffet, drinks included, free internet,uncrowded luxury, for UK/Australian market often include gratuities as well), or Oceania (free speciality dining, probably one of the best cruise food in the world including in the buffet and MDR, plus many cruises include free packages of free wifi, free barista coffees -but not speciality ones- AND either free excursions, on board credit , or free drinks packages, plus luxurious cabins), or Azamara ( included good quality wine and drinks with meals , free barista coffees, included gratuities, great food in MDR and buffet). Sure, they are certainly more expensive than the likes of RCL etc., but at least, you tend to get what you pay for, in a good way.

However, unfortunately, many of the mass market cruise lines like the ones you have mentioned, they seem to be following what the low cost airlines are doing, ie the "unbundling" approach. To try to keep the basic fares as low as possible, they "make" passengers pay extra for so many other things to make up for it.

Edited by Gnoelj

• 3 weeks later...

Good quality food- that I don't have to pay extra for. I'd even be game for the same menu in the different restaurants everyday as long as I could rotate restaurants.

I love the idea of the classes someone mentioned- dancing, art, cooking.

The ability to have things included- such as alcohol, specialty coffee, etc.

WiFi is a must. Esp if VV wants the younger crowd. Even if it is just free access to social media- that would be enough.

No classes would be nice.

At the risk of sounding snarky, I'd like to see those embarking the ship after visiting a port be able to board the ship very quickly by having efficient scanners and x ray machines manned by security staff who are on the ball. After que'ing almost daily while a bunch of old duffers messed about causing queues whilst security just looked on completely uninterested I think it would make the cruise experience far more enjoyable.

If Branson wants to stand out, I'd love to see him do something completely unexpected to entertain and surprise his guests. He has many contacts in the music industry, so why not fly out some well known musicians by helicopter to land on his ships COMPLETELY unannounced who could then play an impromptu set onboard. Do it on a sea day, have the captain announce "We have a few unexpected guests who'd like to entertain you" a few minutes before landing etc.

I know they'd be all kinds of logistical problems, but nothing which can't be ironed out. Do this a few times, get known for being a bit different entertainment wise, rather than having a third rate band massacer Hotel California or similar etc.

Once he'd got more ships in the Caribbean, arrange for two of them to meet up randomly, again completely unannounced, rather than play 'horn wars' like other ships do, have two random acts playing to both ships at the same time on the top of the ship. No one's done anything like that before. The publicity would get them noticed if he booked the right acts etc.

Not every cruise obviously, but dome now and then would help set them apart.

• 3 weeks later...

1) No guests under 18- They have already done that.

2) No class system. No separate dining rooms and lounges for suites. If you have a suite the amenities will be included within the suite.

3)No jeans, shorts or t-shirts at major dinner venues. You don’t have to wear tuxedos or suits but don’t dress like going to your neighbor's BBQ for dinner.

4) All inclusive for drinks, food, tips, wifi, spa and entertainment.

5) I personally don’t care about the shore excursions but if 1 per port is included that would be ok with me.

6) I know this is a stretch but a cigar lounge with good ventilation. You don’t like cigars don’t use it.

7) Specialty bars- Martini, microbrews, etc

8) High-quality comedians, dance lounge that is not so loud you can’t talk to everyone.

9) One thing that cruise lines lack IMO is good casual deserts. Maybe have some quality deserts on board.

10) Maybe a brick oven pizzeria. Find a quality dough and sauce and pay them for the recipe.

11) Enforce the rules set by the company. No looking the other way.

Who knows what they have in mind but I am looking forward to trying them out.

2) No class system. No separate dining rooms and lounges for suites. If you have a suite the amenities will be included within the suite.

I would be really surprised if Virgin didn't have a class system on board its ships. Certainly looking at the aircraft and train operations they have been at the forefront of introducing classes (I think Virgin was the first airline to introduce Premium Economy in 1992) , the super lux airline lounges with no hoi polloi allowed (The Virgin Clubhouse - again I think the first of its kind). On the trains their west coast and East Coast services have First Class Lounges and lots of freebies on board..... for those sitting in First!

• 3 months later...

I love reading everyone’s wish list for VV! Keep all the great ideas flowing. I hope that the higher ups over at VV are reading these as they plan how they will stand out from their competition.

Some other things beyond what was already mentioned that would be great to see:

Voluntourism - having shore excursions that allow you to immerse yourself with the locals and do activities that really helps make a difference other than just sightseeing/buying souvenirs

Tea/komboucha bar/craft beer/cider/wine bars all featuring local companies with tasting events

Come as you please (freestyle) dining with no formal (no ties!) dress codes

Go super high tech on ship like Princess’ Ocean Medallion but even more seamless: checking in online so no long lines at the port to wade through (like Southwest where you can just check in online and just drop off your bags and go thru security), booking excursions, everything

Current known entertainment

I can’t wait to see what they come up with! :)

• 3 weeks later...

A ship designed for Patsy and Edie from Abfab. Not sure how to process what was said. Something embracing romance at sea, a night club at sea, rooms of contrast but what was shown was all monochromatic pale green. Designers that have never been on a ship. Sex drugs and rock and roll. I need to learn more to understand the product, especially if it’s a 2 class ship. I just wonder if the interiors will become dated very quickly. Regardless I will book the first sailing even if it’s designed for millennialist which I’m not.

Johnnimac -- Thanks for posting those pics! You are my HERO!:halo: (some of us don't do F/B, so we couldn't attend the event:().

My impressions (so far): I LOVE the varied use of color, and the nice, clean lines! Here's hoping that we get more tantalizing details, before the year is out! :cool:

A ship designed for Patsy and Edie from Abfab. Not sure how to process what was said. Something embracing romance at sea, a night club at sea, rooms of contrast but what was shown was all monochromatic pale green. Designers that have never been on a ship. Sex drugs and rock and roll. I need to learn more to understand the product, especially if it’s a 2 class ship. I just wonder if the interiors will become dated very quickly. Regardless I will book the first sailing even if it’s designed for millennialist which I’m not. ��

RMS -- I'm just seeing the still photos -- because I don't do FB. And, yeah, it looks a little 'modern-istic' -- but, I would have expected that from Sir Richard. I'm just curious about what makes you perceive it as a '2-class' ship? I do get that one of the photos is a VIP lounge -- but, if that's the extent of it, I'm OK. I would be a little concerned about the designers trying to implement a true 'ship-within-a-ship' concept, on a vessel of this size. Those ideas work much better on the new mega-ships, IMHO.

RMS -- I'm just seeing the still photos -- because I don't do FB. And, yeah, it looks a little 'modern-istic' -- but, I would have expected that from Sir Richard. I'm just curious about what makes you perceive it as a '2-class' ship? I do get that one of the photos is a VIP lounge -- but, if that's the extent of it, I'm OK. I would be a little concerned about the designers trying to implement a true 'ship-within-a-ship' concept, on a vessel of this size. Those ideas work much better on the new mega-ships, IMHO.

This recent Cruise Critic article

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=8643 talks of a suites only lounge on the top deck of the ship called Richard's Rooftop - so nothing new there, unfortunately.

I like the look of the ship, it looks like there will be lots of space for chilling out which is great.

I would love to see a great spa with an extensive thalassotherapy pool, lots of different jets & experiences. Steam rooms, salt rooms, saunas that look out to sea are great. VV could look at what the best spas offer on land & try & recreate on a ship.

Maybe they could have some spa features on the decks with a pool area.

I like the Celebrity Edge concept of differently themed MDR’s & VV could definitely copy this. A Cruise where all the food is included but you have to reserve speciality restaurants would work well for me too.

Drinks packages for those that drink & those that don’t but include speciality coffees in both packages.

It seems that there will be a suite class system which is disappointing but if there is a suite class system then keep it at one. Not more than one suck as Concierge Class & Aqua Class where your experience is divided up.

Staying longer & overnight in ports appeals to me & yes later arrivals so you are not up at the crack of dawn having to depart the ship because everyone must hate that!!!

Great cabin design is a must. Spacious & modern. Coffee machines in all cabins.