Role of Singles Coordinator

annmarz

When I was last on there was a singles happy hour every night. I think a few nights they quasi organized a singles dinner after the happy hour. I only went once though, but we just followed him down to the restaurant after the happy hour and I think he had a reservation for us...either way we were sat basically right away. There might have been a few other things I'm forgetting.

On my sailing there weren't a lot of singles - at least those that showed up (and it seemed like it was a lot of couples). Around ten or so. Honestly I met the ladies I hung out with the most at the cruise critic meet up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm following this as well. I've asked a few times on this board and the solo board, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus or clear definition of he/she's roll or duties.

The only consistent that I have received is on the mega ships, that there will be about an hour open to all solos gathering around dinner time each day in the solo lounge and there may be sign up boards for a group dinner.

Unfortunately there are inconsistencies from ship to ship and coordinator to coordinator.

Some have a list of activities for the entire week, others barely show up.

On the big ships there's supposed to be a meet up everyday at about 5:30/6pm the location depends on the ship. Dinner is immediately afterwards in one of the MDRs.

When I was on the Escape our coordinator had reservations for both the big shows, also a lunch and a time slot for the ropes course. I think he had other stuff listed but I can't remember offhand. He also sent us a little plate of treats and on the final night gave us a sparkling wine farewell.

Does anyone know if the Excape’s daily solo lounge meet up has happy hour bar service in the lounge?

The Epic had a tiny bar with bartender that opened for two hours every day which was conducive to the solo meet up and I’m wondering if the X-cape has the same idea.

The week I was on the Escape a bar tender would come in to take drink orders just before the meeting but that is apparently dependent on the solo coordinator organising it.

Hi all!

I've been in the studio cabins 7 times (4x on Epic) & on another NCL ship solo too & the duties seem to vary.

The best was Jose on the Getaway in May, he organized a lot of activities for us, came to dinner with us sometimes & gave us wine, got us good seats in the theatre in front of the Haven people plus we did activities like paint a tshirt for the White Hot party, played games like Scattagories or trivia in the meeting time, had a movie with popcorn for us in a conference room one night.. On the Escape in Oct. I don't recall any bar service but then I wasn't looking for a drink.;)

Other ones haven't been as keen but usually all have arranged group meals for us & maybe a specialty restaurant night or Ice bar visit. Twice the events for the week have been posted on the whiteboard in the lounge.

On NCL Sky the host met us in a bar & the 3 who came there did things together thereafter along with another girl I met on an excursion.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things are on the Star, Bliss & Breakaway in the next year & a half.

~ Jo ~ :)

My (two) experiences with this have varied widely.

Sharon on the Escape was great. She had dinner and/or show reservations for us every night, opened the studio lounge for solos not in actual studios, etc. Was a large and lively group.

Joey on the Getaway was not so great. For some reason he seemed to be maintaining two separate solo groups, one in the studio lounge for studio guests only, and one in a ship bar for non-studio solo guests. And he did very little for us in terms of reserving dinners or shows.

On the getaway the studio bar was only open happy hour like times. It was also a very limited bar - I think just one type of each liquor, a few beers, at most four wines, and very limited mixers. They did have the breakfast and afternoon snacks out though.

Most of the singles happy hours were at a bar on 678 (forget which one). Which I was mostly ok with because it was a full bar vs the studio lounge with options I didn't like.

The guy was good at posting the days events on the whiteboard in the lounge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Add me to the list who say it varies. My first cruise on the Sky, there was a scheduled meet at the piano bar on each night, but the cruise staff member who showed up changed daily, and didn't show at all on a day or two. On the Jem, the singles coordinator came to most of the meetings in Maltings, but did little else. On the Getaway, Alberto came to each gathering at Sugarcane, had a dinner reservation for the group at one of the three MDR each night, scheduled ropes course, mini golf, etc events during the days, and handled getting us group reservations to any of the shows.

I was on the Getaway on 11/26 cruise.

First Night ( make sure you get there on time, he was very punctual) we met at the Sugarcane Mojito Bar and then went to the studio lounge( I guess if you are already in the lounge you can wait for the group) It was the only time we met up there since there were a lot of singles who did not have studio rooms, and it was way too crowded for the whole group at once.

Our coordinator gave us a list of restaurants and shows for the week if we wanted to make any reservations. We also had his extension number if we needed any reservations or help.

We had a meet up at the Sugarcane at 5:30 every night. There was a group that wanted to go to dinner at 5:30 and another group that wanted to go later. On one night a group of us wanted to go to the Burn the Floor show at the Tropicana at the last minute, and he took us down and got us a table. I even had a night when I was running late, and he called my room to tell me where everyone was going to dinner, he met me outside and took me right to our table.

All in all it made my trip much better than my previous NCL trip.

when i've sailed solo on EPIC, the co-ordinator booked tables for meals, arranged shows, and also invited cast members or officers to the meet. It was great seeing the magician do close up magic, and I've still kept in touch with one of the F&B officers I met. One of the days there was a lucky dip for prizes. I'm hoping for a similar experience on Escape next September.

The co-ordinator helps you to meet new people, but a lot depends on the group I think, the co-ordinator reacts to what the needs of the group are during that week.

I will be travelling as a solo in a studio cabin on the Getaway. What exactly is the role of the singles coordinator? Does he/she arrange group seating in the dining rooms and shows? Any other activities?

My first encounter was on The Star transatlantic November '17. We met in Spinnakers each night and went to dinner in group. It was nice, I will do it again. :D

I cut and pasted this out of a post I made in the "solo traveler's board".....

For solo cruiser's, there is nothing like the NCL Breakaway out of the Manhattan cruise terminal....I will be doing my fourth on her this January, second time as a solo...

You could book the Studio Cabin for one, but usually you can do much better booking a standard Inside, or really save with a Guarantee Inside..(I booked a last minute cruise that way last January, and ended up with a nice midship balcony).

The Breakaway has a Studio Lounge where Studio cabin occupants have 24 hour access....it is sort of like their 'living room', with a complimentary espresso machine, and snacks throughout the day.

And each evening from about 500 until 600 PM, they block the doors open, and invite all solo passenger's, regardless of their cabin location, to mingle for 'Happy Hour'....they have a bartender at that time, (you pay for those drinks, unless you have the drink package). More important...they have a host from the cruise activities staff assigned there, to make introductions, conduct party games, and provide a sign up sheet for those wishing to dine in specialty restaurants on different dates. They also have a similar sheet for those wishing to go on shore excursions together.

At the end of the hour, they invite all those not going to specialty restaurants to go as a group to the main dining room for dinner, where they have one or two large tables reserved....clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Right now the Breakaway has some nice extended cruises to lots of interesting Caribbean ports, and are very reasonably priced....clear.png?emoji-smile-1742