Elite mini bar set up

sailco

I've heard some people swap out the mini bar for coffee cards but is there anything else available? We don't drink sprits or sodas but beer or wine would be a good swap for us. Is there some sort of monetary value eg mini bar equals 6 beers?

I've heard some people swap out the mini bar for coffee cards but is there anything else available? We don't drink sprits or sodas but beer or wine would be a good swap for us. Is there some sort of monetary value eg mini bar equals 6 beers?

You may swap your set up for a bottle of wine by calling room service. I am not aware of being able to swap the alcohol and pops for beer.

You can swap the entire mini bar for a bottle of wine. You can also swap items one for one as follows

You receive 8 x 50ml bottles of spirits, can be exchanged for Dos Equis beers or non alcoholic beverage

You receive 6 cans of soda, 2 bottles Perrier (or sometimes club soda), two small bottles plain water. These can all be exchanged. For example you can exchange for all Perrier or all plain water.

You also receive 2 bottles of Dos Equis Beer. These can also be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverage.

Regarding beer believe it is always Dos Equis, but there may be one other brand available.

You can swap the entire mini bar for a bottle of wine. You can also swap items one for one as follows

You receive 8 x 50ml bottles of spirits, can be exchanged for Dos Equis beers or non alcoholic beverage

You receive 6 cans of soda, 2 bottles Perrier (or sometimes club soda), two small bottles plain water. These can all be exchanged. For example you can exchange for all Perrier or all plain water.

You also receive 2 bottles of Dos Equis Beer. These can also be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverage.

Regarding beer believe it is always Dos Equis, but there may be one other brand available.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if I can swap bottles of spirits for other bottles of spirits? I drink scotch only so was wondering if I could request only scotch - no rum/vodka etc.

Do you know if I can swap bottles of spirits for other bottles of spirits? I drink scotch only so was wondering if I could request only scotch - no rum/vodka etc.
Yes, you can. We do it by calling room service after embarkation day.

On the Emerald in Dec, we were offered $40 towards a bottle of wine.

We usually change our alcohol for cognac...and our cruise on Ruby(Mar.31st) week coffee cards did have the Dec. 2018 expire date. We had the PDP and decided to keep the liquor..gave away the cokes/water and took the mini bottles of cognac home with us.....

Thanks for the info. Do you know if I can swap bottles of spirits for other bottles of spirits? I drink scotch only so was wondering if I could request only scotch - no rum/vodka etc.

You may switch one-for-one alcoholic beverage for alcoholic beverage.

You may switch one-for-one alcoholic beverage for non-alcoholic beverage.

You may switch one-for-one non-alcoholic beverage for non-alcoholic beverage.

Here's a very recent thread with the exact breakdown of what's in the mini-bar, and what you can trade it for, how to do so, etc.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197&order=desc&page=2

As mentioned above you can swap for all scotch but it's Dewar's which I find to be undrinkable. I guess it could be mixed with soda but what is the point of scotch that has to be mixed? It's a pet peeve of mine that the only scotch one can get from room service for in-room consumption is either Dewar's or Johnnie Walker Red - both of which are terrible.

I would gladly pay a $ 15 "corkage fee" to be able to take on a 5th of a nice 12-15 y.o. single malt...

Most definitely!!! I'd even be happy with 10 year old as I often choose the 10 year old Talisker onboard over the 12 year old offerings. (At home the 12 year old Glenlivet and Glenfiddich usually go for around $30 per bottle while the 10 year old Talisker goes for around $60. Vastly different type of Scotch - more similar to Lagavulin but not really the same as that either. :) (My wife hates the smell of the Talisker. :() For the Glenlivet I actually prefer the 15 year old to the 18 year old.

Note: I don't normally buy "spendy" Scotch but do drink it at my son's house as he has more disposable income to play with. :o I also drink more expensive Irish Whiskey such as Redbreast at his house . I'm too cheap to buy that stuff - especially the 21 year old!

We always swap out most elite mini-bar setup selections shortly after boarding. I'm a wino so my wife makes the choices. Except for the soda water, coke and a beer or two, she exchanges all for more cognac. I'm not aware of any procedure where guests can make selections in advance of boarding, at least we haven't been able to, nor do the rules allow such: "Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed." We always preorder some spirits and my wine as well, so they usually bring all of this at once after we call.

I suspect that is a pipe dream. I know they sell bottles of liquor on board. I do not know what is available.
Here's the list. We have a lot of the mini bottles in our kitchen cupboard. We've started drinking more of them on board lately. DH likes to trade the soft drinks for cans of ginger ale.

I suspect that is a pipe dream. I know they sell bottles of liquor on board. I do not know what is available.

One area where most lines are consistent is in not allowing spirits to be brought on board, like they do with wine. All inclusive lines, I guess, can care less though since they include liquor in the base price. Here is what cabin service provides:-------Spirits

Cognac Courvoisier VSOP 350ml bottleItem #2345$32.20

Bourbon Jim Beam 375ml bottleItem #2335$17.25Crown Royal 375ml bottleItem #2333$23.00Jack Daniel's 375ml bottleItem #2334$27.60

Scotch Cutty Sark (350ml bottle)Item #2341$17.25Johnnie Walker Red Label 375ml bottleItem #2340$25.30

Vodka Skyy 375ml bottleItem #2353$17.25Absolut 375ml bottleItem #2352$20.70

Rum Bacardi White 375ml bottleItem #2359$17.25Cruzan Coconut Rum 375ml bottleItem #2360$17.25

Gin Gordon's 375ml bottleItem #2367$17.25Bombay Sapphire 375ml bottleItem #2366$23.00

Yes, you can. We do it by calling room service after embarkation day.

Don't wait till after. Call first thing when you get to your room. You need to be there when they come so make sure you know how long it will take. Most I have waited is 45 minutes in early afternoon. Can't tell you how many elites were on board though.

Don't wait till after. Call first thing when you get to your room. You need to be there when they come so make sure you know how long it will take. Most I have waited is 45 minutes in early afternoon. Can't tell you how many elites were on board though.
Do as you wish...

Our thinking is that turnaround day is quite hectic for the crew...we prefer to not bother room service for something that can wait. Switching out the mini bar is something we usually do on day two or three.

Our experience is that we do not need to be in the cabin for the exchange to take place. We leave the items to be exchanged out and in plain sight so room service personnel do not have to search for them.

Do as you wish...

Our thinking is that turnaround day is quite hectic for the crew...we prefer to not bother room service for something that can wait. Switching out the mini bar is something we usually do on day two or three.

Our experience is that we do not need to be in the cabin for the exchange to take place. We leave the items to be exchanged out and in plain sight so room service personnel do not have to search for them.

Hi Lew,

How was your experience on the Royal last fall?

Had not thought of putting it out for the swap. No one has ever taken an item or do you put it out in a bag?

When I have called and asked for them to do it when they are not busy, they have always told me they could do it right away as there was nothing in the cue. Unless there is something I have not heard about, they have never seemed to be busy on that first day in the early afternoon. Later in the day they have told me they are busy and I told them to do it some time during the next day or two. In those cases, they have coordinated with the room steward and made the switch I guess, as the switch was done while we were out.

We do the same thing & on the note leave a small token of our appreciation.