A few random questions for a first-time QM2 crossing

sppunk

In May (like three short weeks almost!) we are taking our first crossing and first Cunard trip. Just a few really random last-minute questions:

1) For photographing the ship’s superstructure and vast ocean what is the best location?

2) Do Britannia cabins include slippers? I know they have robes, but unsure about slippers.

3) What’s your favorite unique Cunard drink? For instance, Holland America has an off-menu Wang Wang of which I’m addicted. I’d love to try some unique, classic Cunard alcoholic beverages. ;)

4) For King’s Court lunches, is there a robust salad bar? A good fruit selection? A build-your-own sandwich station?

These are critical details I know. ;) We are very excited for this crossing!

Thank you!

1) it’s difficult to get a good picture of the superstructure from onboard as you’re so close to it and it’s so massive. Possibly best vantage would be from promenade looking up or the forward elevators (which are glass enclosed) although your picture could be blurry if the lift is in action. That’ll give you a solid view aft almost as if you’re on the bridge wing.

2) I don’t believe they include slippers, although it’s been a few years since I’ve sailed Britannia.

3) we stick to a lot of the classics like straight gin martinis and the like and they have a nice selection and a solid pour.

4) Kings Court has all of those but the great “secret” for lunch is the complimentary pub lunch in the Golden Lion. Bangers and mash, chicken tikka masala, etc. all the pub favorites. It’s not really a secret any more but it used to fly under the radar more than it does today.

Going far forward on Deck 7 (the Promenade) there are a pair of exits to an area in front of the superstructure. One windy/stormy days these will be closed, but most of the time you should find them open. Out there you will be near the bow, and will find the "Commodore's Cufflinks"; (eight spare propeller blades).

Looking aft, and with a wide-angle lens, you should be able to photograph the massive curved bridge screen including the windows of the Promenade (7), Library (8), Commodore Club (9), Deck 10 cabins, forward open observation deck (11) and finally the Bridge (12) on top.

Alternatively at the stern rail, looking forward, you should be able to photograph the unique aft terrace of decks from Deck 6 (where you are standing) all the way up to Deck 12 (where the kennels are located) and the "crew only" deck above that.

Have a great crossing, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Just to add to the above replies; In addition to slippers and bath robes a nice nice 'welcome' bottle ( half for first timers) of sparking wine on ice will be waiting for you on arrival in your cabin ( all categories ) In addition to the Golden Lion pub the 'Carinitha Lounge' deck 7, is a comfortable venue to hang out for a simple breakfast or snack lunch while listening to midday jazz.

Enjoy QM2, my favourite ship of the fleet, you'll find Cunard 'streets ahead of Holland America'. A nice demographic, sophisticated well travelled guests .;)

Thank you, everyone! I’ll go to all the mentioned spots for photography and after my trip in my review post them all if they turn out half-decent.

Thanks for the slipper and drink info too, I have a large OBC and will be taste-testing. :)

Unfortunately they don't anymore unless you request them (so they do have them- the OP can ask the steward). This was a shock to me on our recent Q.V. south america cruise.

No slippers!! The ones I'm wearing now as I type this reply are well past their 'sell by date' and I was looking forward to replacing them in December - QM2

Oh no, after all the dress code drama, now we have slippergate !

I must admit I can't actually remember whether they were there on QV last month, I don't usually use them so I wouldn't have noticed their absence.

Please let us know what you find sppunk.

Oh no, after all the dress code drama, now we have slippergate !

I must admit I can't actually remember whether they were there on QV last month, I don't usually use them so I wouldn't have noticed their absence.

Please let us know what you find sppunk.

I will! We sail May 10, I’ll write a daily blog but probably won’t even attempt to post it until our retur on May 17.

Going far forward on Deck 7 (the Promenade) there are a pair of exits to an area in front of the superstructure. One windy/stormy days these will be closed, but most of the time you should find them open. Out there you will be near the bow, and will find the "Commodore's Cufflinks"; (eight spare propeller blades).

Looking aft, and with a wide-angle lens, you should be able to photograph the massive curved bridge screen including the windows of the Promenade (7), Library (8), Commodore Club (9), Deck 10 cabins, forward open observation deck (11) and finally the Bridge (12) on top.

Alternatively at the stern rail, looking forward, you should be able to photograph the unique aft terrace of decks from Deck 6 (where you are standing) all the way up to Deck 12 (where the kennels are located) and the "crew only" deck above that.

Have a great crossing, Bon Voyage!

6c569a3b9ad1f9ffd1ab0b4dacc005c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sppunk, if you're looking for a salad bar like the ones at HAL's Lido, you will be disappointed. Not a robust offering at all. Sad lack of interesting dressings. No deli station and not much variety on offer to make your own sandwich, either.

Another lunch spot that goes undiscovered for the first few days is the Carinthia lounge, forward of the Lido. They have "small plates" at breakfast and lunch, and good bar service. Lunch always has some kind of salad (small, but you can have more than one), a crepe (OMG, the mushroom crepes were divine!), a sandwich or two, a small charcruterie plate, and various desserts (good eclairs). It's self-serve and the cooks are right there constantly making replenishments, so it's always fresh. <3

Forget a burger at lunch. They're pre-made and kept warm a la Mickey D's. :eek: