What could have been better on your cruise?

Tinalou

Hi everyone,

Glad to find this new board! What a great idea.

I just thought I would kick off the fun with a feedback thread.

What do you think could have been better on your cruise?

In my opinion, the room service was the most awful room service I have ever had. The selection of food was very limited and very, um, crap. The quality of the food wasn't that great either, you kind of ate it because you were desperate.

Oh and Caesar salad was lame. :rolleyes: (That was the most devastating part for me, as I am a Caesar salad lover).

I also think that the layout of the Atlantis showlounge and Terraces lounge made it awkward for everyone to get a good view of the shows and movies. I missed one of the shows entirely because of people in front of me, and there was nowhere to move to, so I just amused myself chatting to an elderly lady- she was so lovely and far more entertaining than the comedy magician anyway! :rolleyes:

1. P & O Australia Ships with the exception of Summer Seasons with good classy ships from North America ( ie Pacific Princess, Sapphire or Daimond Princess or Dawn Princess ) are crappy old worn out discarded ships from markets that would no longer tolerate them thus making them uncompetitive. Basicly these barges are on the last stop from Alang Beach getting turned into scap.

2. Compared to any real world cruise line, excluding the Summer Ships, The service is 2nd rate, the food is even worse and the general quality of the ship, entertainment leave alot to be desired. ( Sure they are good for a cruise to get laid and loaded on but they dont rate at a global level and for what you get dont represent brilliant value or a wonderful holiday. If you think these are good go cruise overseas to really see what the standard is )

3. Boring ports of call. If youve seen one of these islands youve seen them all. These ships constantly go to the same tired ports again and again. Thankfully Asia and a cruise to Tahitti is back on the radar in the near future. ( Good to see Tonga and Pago Pago back on the Ports of Call list reminds me of the 16 nighters the Oriana used to do in the mid 1980s )

4. Anyone smart enough to be using this website knows your getting robbed paying there high per diem rates when you could spend you money so much better elsewhere. ( Hell go to Hawaii if you want something almost as local and cheap )

Dont want to sound negative but we are getting sub standard product for our money but then in a market were cruises sold in Australia for Overseas Destinations are sold at such over the top prices. Thank god for this website and those email specials.

Keep on Cruising Everyone Its the only way to go!!!!

1. P & O Australia Ships with the exception of Summer Seasons with good classy ships from North America ( ie Pacific Princess, Sapphire or Daimond Princess or Dawn Princess ) are crappy old worn out discarded ships from markets that would no longer tolerate them thus making them uncompetitive. Basicly these barges are on the last stop from Alang Beach getting turned into scap.

2. Compared to any real world cruise line, excluding the Summer Ships, The service is 2nd rate, the food is even worse and the general quality of the ship, entertainment leave alot to be desired. ( Sure they are good for a cruise to get laid and loaded on but they dont rate at a global level and for what you get dont represent brilliant value or a wonderful holiday. If you think these are good go cruise overseas to really see what the standard is )

3. Boring ports of call. If youve seen one of these islands youve seen them all. These ships constantly go to the same tired ports again and again. Thankfully Asia and a cruise to Tahitti is back on the radar in the near future. ( Good to see Tonga and Pago Pago back on the Ports of Call list reminds me of the 16 nighters the Oriana used to do in the mid 1980s )

4. Anyone smart enough to be using this website knows your getting robbed paying there high per diem rates when you could spend you money so much better elsewhere. ( Hell go to Hawaii if you want something almost as local and cheap )

Dont want to sound negative but we are getting sub standard product for our money but then in a market were cruises sold in Australia for Overseas Destinations are sold at such over the top prices. Thank god for this website and those email specials.

I don't want to sound negative either, but why post on P&O Aust if you don't like our ships? :confused: Are you Australian?

I don't think there is anything wrong with our ships. I love them all and prefer our ships to big massive ones in America. Cause who needs rock climbing and ice skating ona ship anyway!!! :eek:

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. I think we should support Aust ships.:):D

Isn't it funny how the 'negative' comments seem to come from someone who has 1 post. It makes you think they are deliberately trying to stir the pot and get heaps of feedback. I don't mind because once you have experienced the P & O cruising then who cares what the 'upper class' expect, the relaxed and fun atmosphere means more to me than anything else. And as for the food being second rate and worse, what a load of rubbish. I have experience working in the food catering area and I know that the food is first class and offers multiple choices. What more could you want? As for value for money, I had a holiday at Coffs Harbour in a unit with cockroaches and paid for 5days the same amount for 10 days on the Pacific Sun and all meals included. I think the cruises are good value especially if you find the specials.

even if the ships are "crappy old worn out discarded ships from markets that would no longer tolerate them", we still manage to have a great time!!!

the service and the food are excellent, thanks p&o!:p

the only thing i know my mum wished was better was the shows werent so repetitive... didnt bother me though as i didnt watch many except pacific sun idol or the hypnotist:)

at the moment i dont want to go any other cruise line except p&o aus. im afraid that all the others may be upper class and all i want to do is have a good time and sun bake!:rolleyes:

Hi cruisers. If people are complaining about service, meals etc...then they should pay the much higher fare and go on a 5 star ship. then they would realise what a bargain cruise we get.

Value for money is what P&O give, and that is what attracts me.

I am happy with with almost everything...sometimes the guest artists are average, but I still go to watch. I will still cruise el cheapo and love it.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Has someone been watching a bit too much Today Tonight? :rolleyes:

It could have been longer:D

Karen

x2 :D

i do have to agree with Tinalou and Novemberbravo to an extent. I did like the food. The ship was a bit run down and had a budget feel to it. I do realise it is in a way a budget line but from what we paid I expected a lot more. we could have flown o/s and cruised somewhere exotic. anyways my main gripe is that my partner and myself with bored out of our brains. I found that our age group (mid 20's) was not catered for with activites! we spent a lot of time watching movies in our cabin. No complaints with ports or shore tours. room service was great. lack of night time activities and no outdoor parties were a really big disappointment.

I miss some of the old activities run by the cruise staff, like the fun afternoon comp discussed in a previous thread where you brought everything and anything from your cabin with you. In the "old days" they had a very healthy quantity of cruise staff who ran a heap more activities. Now it seems the entertainers do a heap more and to be honest some of them just don't seem to be that interested! But then again, I recognise that P&O need to cut costs somewhere and I don't mind paying less for my cruises so I must be prepared to do without some things.

My last cruise could have been better also if the rest of my cruising family had been there!!:cool: But we will rectify that next time with 45 of us going in Easter for Suey's 50th cruise. I get to have a blast with my Nan, Mum, Aunt Frog, 2 sisters, brother & SIL, 2 nephews and a host of other family & friends. Can hardly wait. Only 147 days or 21 weeks to go! Is it too early to start saying this time in 21 weeks I will be on board getting ready to set sail?!?:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chaz:)

PS I love the Islands we visit and am not disappointed when we go to the same place over and over again! I mean really how many islands are there really and isn't it better to go somewhere that is prepared for you! Besides we have fun sharing our "knowledge" with first time cruisers and looking like we are really intelligent!!;)

Omg guys I didnt mean to start a ruckus. :(

The idea of the thread was supposed to be lighthearted and just discussing the things that could have been improved over future cruises, it wasnt meant to be a P&O bash.

I apologise if it came across that way. :(

hehe tinalou, dnt worry.. :)

when people take things 2 extremes when they probably havent even cruised on p&o australia thats what annoys me...

even so.. u get wat u paid 4 and i always have a good time hehe

i like the way u turned the bad around 2 the good..

hope u cruise again:rolleyes:

Let me clarrify some points and I didnt mean to get everyone steamed. Hey if I was the Marketing Manager at P&O free cruises all round folks to some of the best brand loyalty ive seen. ( Wow I though Apple folks were fanatics ) But hey folks in reponse to as many of you as possible:

hehe tinalou, dnt worry..

when people take things 2 extremes when they probably havent even cruised on p&o australia thats what annoys me...

even so.. u get wat u paid 4 and i always have a good time hehe

i like the way u turned the bad around 2 the good..

hope u cruise again

I was making a point we pay good $$$$ and get a 2nd rate product compared to whats offered in other markets where cruise lines cannot get away with offering.

.....................................................................................................

"Basicly these barges are on the last stop from Alang Beach getting turned into scap."

sorry novemberbravo1974, but do u remember the pacific sky?? that was sold to pullmantur cruises

see we dont get the worst ships

Yes we are all well aware of the recent sales of Pacific Sky to Pullmantur who was recently purchased by RCCL. Pacific Sky is doing exactly what it was doing with P&O for Pallmantur, its serving a 2nd tier market. In its new life it will not run against tier 1 ships nor be sold against them. It will cater to Pallmanturs Euro ( Spanish Speaking ) domestic market sales in Spain and Portugal and also been seen im sure serving South America, Fly Cruise Carribean Cruises and maybe some Cuban work via Pallmantur's associate company which has extensive cuban exposure. Pallmanturs best bet for a 2nd hand ship at the time was Pacific Sky given its age, such a pity it was a tween generation model ship. Look at Island Escape as another classic example of this.

.....................................................................................................

You do sound negative NB1974. So who cares if we go to get laid and loaded....not many complaints on here to say we've all had a **** cruise were ripped off and won't go again. Get over yourself mate.

Never been on a bad cruise. However paying good money to go on a floating version of the local RSL club is my point. Get over yourself and see what the real world enjoys for the SAME money.

......................................................................................................

Has someone been watching a bit too much Today Tonight?

Nope because they are so unbalanced its not funny. Most of these cruise ships bashers who emerge from the woodwork each time someone gets drunk on a ship or some chick gets loaded then realizes she slept with a dozen guys a week later wouldnt know a cruise ship from the Manly Ferry.

Nobody who knows Starboard from Port would think cruising is not the best value vacation you can have.

Anyway Today Tonight conflicts with the Simpsons! Ich Bein Eine Springfield..........

Isn't it funny how the 'negative' comments seem to come from someone who has 1 post. It makes you think they are deliberately trying to stir the pot and get heaps of feedback. I don't mind because once you have experienced the P & O cruising then who cares what the 'upper class' expect, the relaxed and fun atmosphere means more to me than anything else. And as for the food being second rate and worse, what a load of rubbish. I have experience working in the food catering area and I know that the food is first class and offers multiple choices. What more could you want? As for value for money, I had a holiday at Coffs Harbour in a unit with cockroaches and paid for 5days the same amount for 10 days on the Pacific Sun and all meals included. I think the cruises are good value especially if you find the specials.

My post was not negative unless you classify negative as being some who doesnt see things from your prespective. Wow Coffs Harbour on Holiday now that living large! Thats what happends when even the bad places are booked out. You should of put a towel over your head and got a free trip to Gitmo. Yes P&O food is first class RSL Food. There is now way possible that P&O local food which ive had when I sailed with them beats Celebrity, RCCL or Princess. If you think it does then you should probarbly think about nominating Mc Donalds or KFC for a Michellan Star.

Oh yeah Ive only posted once before to offer constructive advise on how to transfer from Tianjin Cruise Port to Beijing, I dont need to mouth off all the time about every topic. My main interest in cruise critic is a gateway to all the really top deals you can get on cruises. Funny how P&O Aust is never represented on these deals. Oh wait a sec they are of course but you need to have the DAS Boat experience in a 4 berth Cabin.

Hi cruisers. If people are complaining about service, meals etc...then they should pay the much higher fare and go on a 5 star ship. then they would realise what a bargain cruise we get.

Value for money is what P&O give, and that is what attracts me.

I am happy with with almost everything...sometimes the guest artists are average, but I still go to watch. I will still cruise el cheapo and love it.

kind regards, Lorraine

Fact is if you use cruise critics specials listings you can sail for less money not more money on much better ships. Sure you have to travel further than your local river or harbour but is that not what travel is all about. The ships running loops of Hawaii at the moment run rings around P&Os local product offering at comprable pricing IF YOU SHOP AROUND.

I don't want to sound negative either, but why post on P&O Aust if you don't like our ships? :confused: Are you Australian?

I don't think there is anything wrong with our ships. I love them all and prefer our ships to big massive ones in America. Cause who needs rock climbing and ice skating ona ship anyway!!!

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. I think we should support Aust ships.

Yes I am Australian. I dont dislike P&O but you ask the Question what can make our cruises better and I answer again pick up the STANDARD. Oh and I hate to rain on the Nationalist prade. Our Ships? They are neither Australian Owned ( P&O is apart of Carnival Corp now Like 70% of the worlds major cruise brands/lines ) and the percentage of Australian crew is quite minor. The ships are not even registered here and most of the crews are certainly not from Australia.

My point is quite simple - Not negative. If consumer push P&O ( Carnival )

to lift there game not there prices we may actually be commenting on how much better things are compared to the rest of the world. Why should we as a market have to settle for less?

Stop treating customer like idiots P&O and people will respect your brand even more!

Take Care Everyone And ENJOY CRUISING:D

Next Cruises is

September 2007 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Carribbean;)

March 2008 Royal Princess Manaus - Fort Lauderdale:cool:

.......................................................................................................

It has been interesting reading this thread - As someone who has travelled extensively both in and out of Australia - I would like to say that my P & O cruise was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had.

To those who appear to be constructively?? critising P & O Australia - please remember that you are comparing apples to pears not apples to apples - It is practically impossible to comare P & O Australia to other markets - be they asian or american or uk - as each market is vastly different. Just remember - at least we have a cruise line that we can use!!!!

I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember that we are all on this board for one reason - we love cruising and are cruise addicts and can talk to others about our addiction without people's eyes glazing over!!

Rach

Quote [Wow Coffs Harbour on Holiday now that living large! Thats what happends when even the bad places are booked out. You should of put a towel over your head and got a free trip to Gitmo.]end Quote

Now must have hit a nerve here, how nasty can you get? Just wondering if you have factored in the costs of airfares to take up these cruise offers especially for a family of 7. As for 'living large', I got value for money with 3 weeks in England last year so I don't just look locally for holidays. By the way, I am sure Coffs Harbour has brought many happy memories for families on holidays. Your facetious comment about Gitmo was very tasteless in todays society.

Well I have to say that you will be missing out on cruising with us. And it may be a good thing you won't cruise on P&O because you would be miserable the whole time and probably be the person who complains the whole time, about every little thing! :rolleyes::eek:

Hope you enjoy your future cruises, though I do say you are missing out on something spectacular!:)

I think P&O food is fabulous! There is no way it could be compared to RSL food.:confused: The food is one of the many reasons I return. It is so yummy.:)

.......................................................................................................

It has been interesting reading this thread - As someone who has travelled extensively both in and out of Australia - I would like to say that my P & O cruise was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had.

To those who appear to be constructively?? critising P & O Australia - please remember that you are comparing apples to pears not apples to apples - It is practically impossible to comare P & O Australia to other markets - be they asian or american or uk - as each market is vastly different. Just remember - at least we have a cruise line that we can use!!!!

I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember that we are all on this board for one reason - we love cruising and are cruise addicts and can talk to others about our addiction without people's eyes glazing over!!

Rach

I think you are right. We just all get a bit carried away when the subject of cruising comes along.:D

Can I ask: Why is it that everytime someone makes a negative comment about P&O regardless of the topic, they get slammed. I understand a lot of people enjoy cruising with P&O and this site is a great resource for first timers, but I believe everyone's opinion is important. If I was a first time cruiser I would be glad to read some negative comments to prepare me for the dissapointment I may face. I went away on my cruise after reading everyone's great comments, was expecting so much (due to the great rap you all gave) and had the most dissapointing holiday ever. To be fair, why not let the negative comments go through unscathed? Why all the bitching and negativity towards someone who disagrees with your opinion?

Archived