Commodore Club QM2 Curtains open or closed? What do you think.

ace2542

Cool Cruiser, On QM2 this has always been standard practice, as Hattie has said, the QM2 Commodore Bar & the Bridge area is a completely different build than the vista class ships. It is the same with the four Fwd QG suites deck 10 ( above the Commodore bar) those blinds have to be closed too during late/dark evening hours. There is signage on the window ledge to this effect.

Cool Cruiser, On QM2 this has always been standard practice, as Hattie has said, the QM2 Commodore Bar & the Bridge area is a completely different build than the vista class ships. It is the same with the four Fwd QG suites deck 10 ( above the Commodore bar) those blinds have to be closed too during late/dark evening hours. There is signage on the window ledge to this effect.

Fair enough. I didn't know that I just thought it was done to create a mood. Thanks for that.

Yes, the light from the Commodore Club windows creates interference with the night vision of those on watch on the bridge. I don't like the closed feeling with the blinds shut but certainly understand the reason. I just order another martini and forget all about the window treatment.....:cool:

Yes, the light from the Commodore Club windows creates interference with the night vision of those on watch on the bridge. I don't like the closed feeling with the blinds shut but certainly understand the reason. I just order another martini and forget all about the window treatment.....:cool:

Fair play thanks for the answers that clears that up.

I much prefer the blinds closed in the Commodore Club on QM2, than "open" as on QE and QV (where the blinds are fake I believe and can never be "closed").

The reason is that I think the highly reflective wrap-around wall of black makes the room seem cold and produces some very odd reflections when out at sea with nothing to see.

Add the poor acoustic (until the place fills up, it can have an odd echo in my experience) with the hard walls on three sides...

When arriving or leaving port in the evening or at night it can be a different matter I realise, with something to enjoy beyond the glass.

But usually there is nothing but a wall of black, I know of very few lounges, or indeed none (in hotels for example) where the designer has said "And I want three walls of shiny black to almost surround the people relaxing with a drinkie".

The blinds on QM2 help create the cosy, sophisticated atmosphere, and help with the acoustics.

I must say, I agree with Pepperrn , It's a sort of 'maritime' ritual on the QM during cocktail hour at dusk, when the bar waiters take time out to go around and close the blinds. On more than occasion I've been sitting at the bar top when the telephone rings with a gentle reminder from the bridge to the busy bar crew members . It certainly helps to create that cosy atmosphere and it gives a sort of feeling that one is really on an Ocean going Transatlantic Liner.

I much prefer the blinds closed in the Commodore Club on QM2, than "open" as on QE and QV (where the blinds are fake I believe and can never be "closed").

funny, i remember the curtains on QV being closed at night, they certainly are not fake though as Ive got pics of them down in the background of certain photo shots.

funny, i remember the curtains on QV being closed at night, they certainly are not fake though as Ive got pics of them down in the background of certain photo shots.
My apologies. It would seem my memory has let me down yet again.

I am on QE in February and will make a point of correcting myself by lowering a blind!

Best wishes.

My apologies. It would seem my memory has let me down yet again.

I am on QE in February and will make a point of correcting myself by lowering a blind!

Best wishes.

lol...i thought i was going mad...much pleased that its actually you who's mad...lol...

have a great trip, pepperrn

roscoe

lol...i thought i was going mad...much pleased that its actually you who's mad...lol...

have a great trip, pepperrn

roscoe

Thank you roscoe39, I'm looking forward to being onboard QE again.

As for "mad"... I've never claimed to be sane ;) :D .