Possibly More Power Woes for PR

Darcy03231

Gosh I’m shocked that this sham of a “company” is leaving.

Meanwhile I’ve heard from an acquaintance who doesn’t live in SJ but further into the island that power is on in their area, things are getting more back to normal, and that actual power companies are working hard.

And that the native birds are back in the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There should be no ships going to PR as it’s horrible there and has not and is not improving. I wish they would change the itineraries for my upcoming cruise as there will be no pleasure going to SJ. The roar of generators and very limited services are plenty

There should be no ships going to PR as it’s horrible there and has not and is not improving. I wish they would change the itineraries for my upcoming cruise as there will be no pleasure going to SJ. The roar of generators and very limited services are plenty

Being from the midwest and not actually in Puerto Rico, it is understandable that you would have this perspective - especially with all the sensationalism in the news media about everything in general, but about Puerto Rico in particular. However, you should take a look at the posts of the people who are actually there and what they are saying. It is not 'normal', for sure, but it is nowhere near the disaster you make it out to be. In addition, NOT ONE PERSON who is in Puerto Rico has suggested that people should stay away - in fact quite the opposite. They need people to return in order for them to get back on their feet. So, while a little noise from a generator might be an inconvenience, I think you are in the minority. And, good news for you, if you can't stand it, just stay on the ship.

Being from the midwest and not actually in Puerto Rico, it is understandable that you would have this perspective - especially with all the sensationalism in the news media about everything in general, but about Puerto Rico in particular. However, you should take a look at the posts of the people who are actually there and what they are saying. It is not 'normal', for sure, but it is nowhere near the disaster you make it out to be. In addition, NOT ONE PERSON who is in Puerto Rico has suggested that people should stay away - in fact quite the opposite. They need people to return in order for them to get back on their feet. So, while a little noise from a generator might be an inconvenience, I think you are in the minority. And, good news for you, if you can't stand it, just stay on the ship.

Yes we are going in January for two nights - I'll be sure to report out... BUT from what I am reading from sources on the ground things are getting back together in San Juan.. I have even joined facebook group of locals in San Juan reporting.

PR is as much a political mud slinging event as anything. I certainly feel sorry for them, and I think a great deal has improved. Still, every time I hear or see the San Juan Mayor I just want to puke. She has taken a disaster and politicized it to a degree that sickens me. Beyond that, her whole attitude reeks of someone who's just begging. Instead of being a leader towards self-sufficiency she just seems to want bash the US and plead for handouts.

If she, and the government of PR as a whole had a better handle on their finances, and if they would have focused on preparing for an almost certain event, such as this one - they would be in much better shape.

I feel sorry for the people who have allowed such lackluster leadership to thrive for so many years.

Actually I have family that live just outside of San Juan.

They have not had any power since the hurricane, they use generators and propane for light and cooking. I’m very much kept in the loop of the conditions of the island and people are being told that it’s the hard to get to places that have no power ....so not true. These are “suburban” neighborhoods right outside San Juan so I beg to differ.

Many people can care less about tourist and are more concerned about basic living needs, it’s the government who wants the revenue. Yes local small business are feeling the pinch of tourists absence but it’s not the majority of people who have to get up every day and go to work and or take kids to school that are in need of help from the government, help they are not getting.

When we were there the end of October, the hotel we were staying at in Condado was still running on generator power (as were others). While we were there, the water system failed. I've since heard that they've cancelled all reservations through February. I don't know whether this is due to power/water issues or if disaster relief workers have taken it over.

Taxis were running both to and from the ship. The areas we were in were about 95% cleaned up. None of our taxi drivers (airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship to airport) who lived in San Juan had power at that time. They were all using generators (either their own or sharing with neighbors).

There were some restaurants and shops that were open. Others were still closed.

We met a gentleman who lived about 2 hours south of San Juan and they hadn't had power since Irma. He comes to San Juan once a week to get on-line so he can pay bills, etc. He told us it took a couple of weeks after Maria before the roads were open for travel. In those two weeks they were completely cut off from all communication.

It's going to be a while for things to get back to "normal."

Midwestgal,

"Many people can care less about tourist"

I don't think that is the case on an island that has an economy strongly based on tourism.

"it's the government who wants the revenue"

Government does not produce wealth. It gains revenue by taking it from those who generate it. In this case, as I stated above, a bulk of the wealth is generated by small businesses and individuals working in a (largely tourism) economy.

"Yes local small businesses are feeling the pinch of tourists absence but it's not the majority of people....."

I repeat myself here. Tourism is a strong economy in PR. Many businesses serve that industry. Businesses are owned by PEOPLE (small or large group), ran by PEOPLE, and supplied/supported by other businesses (owned and ran by other PEOPLE). Slow tourism means PEOPLE stay home from work and hurt for money.

If you are lucky enough to port in PR, try going to a restaurant or shop. Talk to the PEOPLE working there and ask them how they are doing. I think that you will find they have difficulties in this season, but they have a positive attitude and hope for things to get easier. I think that you will find that their story is one of appreciation that the tourism is started again, allowing them to get back to work. Sure, they could use help from the government for the infrastructure repairs, but ultimately they want to make it for themselves. In spending time with the people of both PR and the other islands, that has been my experience.

Generators, while inconvenient, provide modern convenience. If you don't want to be inconvenienced by the generators, as stated earlier, stay on the ship. These "floating cities" support themselves, on their own generators. I would suggest another plan, though. As Royal used to say "get out there". Go for a walk around OSJ. It is such an interesting and beautiful city. Just wander. Talk to the locals. Your be glad you got off the ship. If not, maybe cruising, or vacationing for that matter, is not your thing.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We'll be stopping in Old San Juan on a cruise in 4 weeks and will be getting off to have a meal and take a walk.

You can stay on the ship if you want.

Actually I have family that live just outside of San Juan. They have not had any power since the hurricane, they use generators and propane for light and cooking. I’m very much kept in the loop of the conditions of the island and people are being told that it’s the hard to get to places that have no power ....so not true. These are “suburban” neighborhoods right outside San Juan so I beg to differ. Many people can care less about tourist and are more concerned about basic living needs, it’s the government who wants the revenue. Yes local small business are feeling the pinch of tourists absence but it’s not the majority of people who have to get up every day and go to work and or take kids to school that are in need of help from the government, help they are not getting.

Point taken. And I do hope your family is safe and can get back on their feet as soon as possible. But, I still don't see how not having a ship stop in Puerto Rico is going to help your family at all. And while the ship may only help those who are working in the tourist industry if it stops, at least it helps someone. Those outside of San Juan are no doubt having a much more difficult time and are largely ignored, at least in this forum. Getting everyone back to 'normal' should be the goal and, in my opinion, having cruise ships port in San Juan will help that to happen.

Actually I have family that live just outside of San Juan.

They have not had any power since the hurricane, they use generators and propane for light and cooking. I’m very much kept in the loop of the conditions of the island and people are being told that it’s the hard to get to places that have no power ....so not true. These are “suburban” neighborhoods right outside San Juan so I beg to differ.

Many people can care less about tourist and are more concerned about basic living needs, it’s the government who wants the revenue. Yes local small business are feeling the pinch of tourists absence but it’s not the majority of people who have to get up every day and go to work and or take kids to school that are in need of help from the government, help they are not getting.

Maybe you could use your port stop to actually visit your family--maybe even take them some things they need and can't get there. You can complain about one day of inconvenience knowing what they are living with? Ships stopping there are doing more good than harm and many people on them will be bringing goods and money with them.

Oh, come on. It is NOT horrible here. I live and work in San Juan. You should take this as an opportunity to learn what a well-on-its-way recovery after a major disaster looks like. By the time you stop in San Juan, you will be hardly pressed to notice we went through anything you imagine. Relax and have fun. many thousands of other cruisers have already done so since the beginning of October.

I respectfully beg to differ. Off Celebrity Summit on Saturday. No roar of generators through the streets, many restaurants open in Old San Juan, Luis Munoz airport has power, lights and air conditioning. Some traffic lights not working through San Juan but cab drivers are used to driving through this. Cabs are plenty at the airport and cruise port. Bacardi Rum factory excursion was now available from Celebrity. I cannot speak for the beaches as we did not got to one but perhaps someone else in this thread can. Puerto Rico needs us! Our tourist dollars help and those we came in contact with were super happy we were there. We have to be part of the solution in getting this island and others (Barbuda, Dominica, Turks & Caicos, Sint-Maarten/Saint-Martin) back up and running. Here's an idea while you are in San Juan if you wish to be part of the solution: the huge conference centre is very close to the cruise port and that is "Operation Recovery Central" for FEMA and other agencies. They will take donations. Your cruise ship is aware as many passengers have asked. Captain Kate talked to us about it. Alternatively, pack an extra suitcase of medical supplies and drop it off at one of the many medical centres in need. That's what we did.

Oh, upon arrival in San Juan, wave to the USNS Comfort on your way in. She's there to help too.

Not trying to be preachy, just giving another perspective.:confused:

Have you given any thought to how much the people need our cruising $$ to help them get back to "normal"? And, how do you know it is horrible there? We are going on our cruise in December and using this as an opportunity to give to the people, who as US citizens, could use our compassion and help.

Pat

PR is as much a political mud slinging event as anything. I certainly feel sorry for them, and I think a great deal has improved. Still, every time I hear or see the San Juan Mayor I just want to puke. She has taken a disaster and politicized it to a degree that sickens me. Beyond that, her whole attitude reeks of someone who's just begging. Instead of being a leader towards self-sufficiency she just seems to want bash the US and plead for handouts.

If she, and the government of PR as a whole had a better handle on their finances, and if they would have focused on preparing for an almost certain event, such as this one - they would be in much better shape.

I feel sorry for the people who have allowed such lackluster leadership to thrive for so many years.

You do realize they are citizens of the US and therefore, deserve the same treatment as other areas hard hit by hurricanes? I don't think the people of Texas and my home state Florida would have been happy to be without power and help for months! Compassion is a virtue.

Pat

You do realize they are citizens of the US and therefore, deserve the same treatment as other areas hard hit by hurricanes? I don't think the people of Texas and my home state Florida would have been happy to be without power and help for months! Compassion is a virtue.

Pat

Our tweeter in chief made this whole thing political. Still does.

How in the world do you give yourself a 10 when so many people don’t even have water? (10% don’t right now) let alone the months of no power.

When he did that, it became a political bs war.

Sure, things are quite good in San Juan and Ponce. But there are places that are still suffering, who would have been a lot better off with more reaction from the Army Corps. Still don’t have much there.

Still, to the one of the other questions, I don’t see the harm in going and spending money. They need that and reminders to people that they are still there and fighting.

My perspective is different. I appreciate her advocating for help for her people. It seems someone needs to. I don't see it as "handouts" but as humane help for our fellow citizens. I'm ashamed that our government hasn't done more for its people. I also find it hilarious that you blame the people of Puerto Rico for their situation. What you call "lackluster leadership" is something I see in our federal response to the situation. But the beauty is you don't have to go there if you don't want to. I'm looking forward to visiting soon, and can't wait to visit with as many of the locals as I can. I admire their spirit.

We are currently on the Dawn (11/23/17) and sailed out of San Juan. The ship's guests comprise of at least 65% Puerto Ricans. They are extremely happy to be on this holiday. Our taxi drivers and hotel/restraunt workers we encountered on the island were thrilled to have the tourists back. Yes, the hurricane was a horrible act of Mother Nature, but life moves forward and it runs on money.