Help please with "best" cruise itinerary

chisoxfan

Hello, we will be traveling for the first time to Florence and Venice and then taking a 7 day cruise from there.

There are 3 cruise options we have focused on and I know this is like asking 'what is the best restaurant in New York and what should I order', but we really would appreciate any insight comments on these cruise Itineraries. My initial thought is that they are all good and that (hopefully) we will make many more trips to this part of the world in the future. That said, having never been to these places maybe one itinerary stands out for experienced travelers to this region.

The first two are Costa (we would book a suite) and the last is RCCL (aft balsony). We are really looking hard at Costa and the Oct 6 (first) itinerary is most cost 'effective'.

So help us (please) make our decision!

THANKS

Saturday, October 6

Venice, Italy

Sunday, October 7

Bari, Italy

2:00pm

8:00pm

Monday, October 8

At Sea

Tuesday, October 9

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

8:00am

5:00pm

Wednesday, October 10

Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Thursday, October 11

Kotor, Montenegro

9:00pm

Friday, October 12

Split, Croatia

9:00am

Saturday, October 13

Venice, Italy

Sunday, October 7

Venice, Italy

Monday, October 8

Bari, Italy

Tuesday, October 9

Corfu, Greece

Wednesday, October 10

Santorini, Greece

Noon

7:00pm

Thursday, October 11

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

7:30am

Friday, October 12

At Sea

Saturday, October 13

Dubrovnik, Croatia

1:00pm

Sunday, October 14

Venice, Italy

Date

Port

Arrive

Depart

Saturday, October 6

Venice, Italy

Sunday, October 7

Kotor, Montenegro

1:00pm

Monday, October 8

Corfu, Greece

3:00pm

Tuesday, October 9

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Noon

8:30pm

Wednesday, October 10

Mykonos, Greece

7:00am

4:00pm

Thursday, October 11

Argostoli, Greece

11:00am

7:00pm

Friday, October 12

At Sea

Saturday, October 13

Venice, Italy

7:00am

Edited by chisoxfan
add info

I have been researching itineraries also. My choice would be the 2nd one because I can't imagine seeing Greece without seeing Santorini. I am trying to find one from Venice that includes Athens, Mykonos and Santorini but all are a combo of them and not all 3.

Thank you sincerely for your input.

I am probably looking now at option 3 since it is a RCCL cruise and the other two are Costa. When I posted I was really interested in the Costa offering but further research has pretty much soured me on this line.

!I do not like any of the Costa itineraries Like many Costa itineraries, they offer limited time in the ports..which is a huge issue when in Europe. Instead of trying to hit a port nearly every day, you are much better off being in ports for a full day (such as 8-5). For example, Dubrovnik is a fabulous place to visit, but now 8-1! You would need to be back on board by 12:30 and would have to leave town by noon. And consider that nothing really opens until after 9... This has long been an issue with Costa and some NCL itineraries.

So my advice to the OP is look for a cruise that gives you enough time to enjoy ports and venture further away from the ship. Also consider that in parts of Europe (especially Italy and Spain) many shops/boutiques are closed during much of the afternoon such as from 1-4!

And that last itinerary is not much better. Arriving in Pireaus at noon is a crime! You likely would not able to get into Athens until 1....by which you have lost half the day. Most cruise lines will give you a long day in Athens. And leaving Corfu at 3 means you need to be back at the port by 2:30! We have explored Corfu (on several trips) with rental cars. It is actually a pretty large island. If you have a full day there is time to explore parts of the island and still have time to enjoy Corfu Town.

So, I would not feel comfortable recommending any of these itineraries. For what its worth (and to estabilish our bona fides) we have been cruising and traveling throughout Europe for nearly forty years.

Hank

!I do not like any of the Costa itineraries Like many Costa itineraries, they offer limited time in the ports..which is a huge issue when in Europe. Instead of trying to hit a port nearly every day, you are much better off being in ports for a full day (such as 8-5). For example, Dubrovnik is a fabulous place to visit, but now 8-1! You would need to be back on board by 12:30 and would have to leave town by noon. And consider that nothing really opens until after 9... This has long been an issue with Costa and some NCL itineraries.

So my advice to the OP is look for a cruise that gives you enough time to enjoy ports and venture further away from the ship. Also consider that in parts of Europe (especially Italy and Spain) many shops/boutiques are closed during much of the afternoon such as from 1-4!

And that last itinerary is not much better. Arriving in Pireaus at noon is a crime! You likely would not able to get into Athens until 1....by which you have lost half the day. Most cruise lines will give you a long day in Athens. And leaving Corfu at 3 means you need to be back at the port by 2:30! We have explored Corfu (on several trips) with rental cars. It is actually a pretty large island. If you have a full day there is time to explore parts of the island and still have time to enjoy Corfu Town.

So, I would not feel comfortable recommending any of these itineraries. For what its worth (and to estabilish our bona fides) we have been cruising and traveling throughout Europe for nearly forty years.

Hank

Hank,

Have seen you as a frequent poster and appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, we know any one week itinerary will be a compromise. We do hope to enjoy five nights in Florence, Two in Milan, and at least two in Venice so as a working stiff, that is the best we can do. I am not sure of any cruises that allow long times in the Greek Island ports.

Hoping to get a taste and if providence allows we will have the opportunity to revisit when retired.

Thank you sincerely for your input.

I am probably looking now at option 3 since it is a RCCL cruise and the other two are Costa. When I posted I was really interested in the Costa offering but further research has pretty much soured me on this line.

Based on this I would also go with option 3. I agree with Hank.

While I like option #2 itinerary best, from all I've heard from prior pax and read about Costa, it caters more to Europeans and the food is cheaper than the other lines . You'll get a lot of pasta, etc. Also, while I think Santorini is one of the best islands to visit, Hank's comments about time in ports leads me to recommend #3.

I think you will be pleased with the RCCL choice. Since I believe this is the Rhapsody of the Seas you are talking about, you may want to look at the following week's sailing too. Whichever one you decide to do should be an excellent choice. Enjoy your trip chisoxfan!