Blue Lagoon, Rangiroa....Tour Operator?

staylor

Hi.

Here are a few (copied) old posts of mine (from here on CC) related to your query...If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

It is roughly a 1.25 hr. trek(2.5 hr RT) across Rangiroa's main lagoon to the Blue Lagoon...Factoring in the transit involved with tendering to the dock/meeting with the guide boat etc. a 5.25 hr window of time might not provide for ample time at the Blue Lagoon...

My wife and I were on a recent sailing and we used Jean-Pierre w/ terevaexcursions@mail.pf for a tour of the Blue Lagoon -- Here's another possible option to look into to find out if he may be able to accommodate a group for a shorter trip to the Blue Lagoon(or Pink Sand beach) for the day that you are in port...

We were on the recent Nov 29th sailing and I personally set up the Blue Lagoon tour with Jean-Pierre for our roll-call group(12 people IIRC)...

We were told to meet between 8:15a-8:45a and as scheduled Roger(our guide for the day) and the driver were there to meet us with their boat...

I too relay that it is unfortunate that you were unable to take Tereva's tour as the destination of the Blue Lagoon was well worth the 1 1/4 hr boat ride each way...

Everything provided in the tour was as advertised...Opportunities to snorkel/take in bird island...Feeding the sharks in the shallow lagoon...A tasty lunch and palm frond weaving presentation...A chance to swim with the Black-Tip Reef Sharks and larger Lemon Sharks in the island's main lagoon and even the option to drift snorkel and look for dolphins in the Avatoru pass upon return...

It was a great day and a real value for the money(7500 XPF/$80approx.)...I would recommend the tour for any who are considering it...I do understand that internet service is sort of hit-or-miss on the islands and often e-mail correspondence can be difficult...I made sure to be diligent in keeping in contact with Jean-Pierre and updating him on our group and reservation for the day that the ship was in port...

It was slightly windy in the lagoon that day and the ride was of the rougher variety so I cannot make a guess as to what level of inclement weather might cause the cancelling of the tour but I must reiterate that the tour was a great value and up there in quality with all of the other (boat)tours that we booked on the islands(Marc's/Bruno's/Patrick's)...In fact Tereva's boat was the most sea-worthy of the four possessing a very powerful outboard and strong durable hull...

Here are a few pictures from the day:

PC030469.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

PC030503.jpg

PC030478.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

PC030516.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by chamima

Thanks for your post, your reassurances and your beautiful pictures! We are scheduled to go with Toto next month and are looking forward to this tour.

(I sure hope the boat in your second picture wasn't the one used for the tour!)

Ha Ha...No...At least not the boat used to get to there via Rangiroa's main lagoon...We did however have the option to take a dinghy once inside the Blue Lagoon to go over from where the picnic area motu was to where the bird island/snorkeling area was located...

My advice would be to bring some good water shoes for the tour as the boat has to anchor some distance from the motu(s) at the Blue Lagoon and one has to walk about 100 meters to get to the shore...The water is never deeper than a couple of feet but there are sharp/rough pieces of coral in the shallows along the way...

More pics:

Our guides

IMG_2375.jpg

Approaching the motu where we had lunch(We anchored at small orange round buoy in middle of pic)

IMG_2400.jpg

Our group walking from the boat to the motu

PC030467.jpg

Looking back from the motu showing distance to where boat was anchored

IMG_2518.jpg

Dinghy inside Blue Lagoon

IMG_2422.jpg

Picture on Bird island

PC030561.jpg

We booked this tour because of your post and pictures. I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. There doesn't seem to be as much on CC about the FP Islands as the Caribbean. Many thanks!

So....what did you do in Raiatea? LOL ;)

We booked this tour because of your post and pictures. I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. There doesn't seem to be as much on CC about the FP Islands as the Caribbean. Many thanks!

So....what did you do in Raiatea? LOL ;)

Bruno's L'excursion Bleue (LINK: http://www.tahaa.net/?p=-1) -- Also a fun day circumventing Tahaa (Pearl farm/Drift snorkeling @ coral gardens/Lunch/Vanilla Plantation).

• 8 months later...

Skai, I have meant to get back to this thread a dozen times since we've been home from our cruise. Thank you so much for the recommendation for this tour...and the photos you shared. It was an amazing day....it is soooo beautiful there. Surreal.......

Skai, I have meant to get back to this thread a dozen times since we've been home from our cruise. Thank you so much for the recommendation for this tour...and the photos you shared. It was an amazing day....it is soooo beautiful there. Surreal.......

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. We sure did too.

For those yearning for the environs of a quintessential remote S. Pacific atoll, Rangiroa's Blue Lagoon sure fits the bill.

• 4 weeks later...

We are interested in a Blue Lagoon Tour, but worry about the sharks. My husband and I bleed very easily....a little scratch can do it, so I wonder if the Pink Sand beach would be better for us. I would appreciate your input, and recommendations on tour operators. Thanks...Carol

We are interested in a Blue Lagoon Tour, but worry about the sharks. My husband and I bleed very easily....a little scratch can do it, so I wonder if the Pink Sand beach would be better for us. I would appreciate your input, and recommendations on tour operators. Thanks...Carol

The juvenile (black-tip) reef sharks living in the safety of the inner lagoon are really just bigger fish, and they have matching personalities -- They're more afraid of getting close to people than people ought to be afraid of getting close to them.

The sharks are used to being fed and so they like to congregate in front of the motu at the Blue Lagoon. Being very docile, one can feel assured of being absolutely safe in the water around them.

The lil' ones were in the inner lagoon ............. but .........

When we did the tour in December 2010 we moored at the same buoy but there were dozens of much larger black tips. Didn't bother me as I've been around them several times but some people did have a hard time with it. Some were 4 - 5 feet, had a few bump into me because there were so many. Was about 100 - 150 yards from where we moored to actually step foot on the motu.

If you don't like sharks of any kind this may not be the tour for you.

We used Te Reva Tane E Vahine

All of the operators moor at the same place. Lovely spot, just know you will possibly have sharks all around when you walk to this spot. I think my picture was taken from the same angle as the one above ..... beautiful!

Rangiroa.jpg

Great picture...Thanks for all the help and info....Carol

The lil' ones were in the inner lagoon ............. but .........

When we did the tour in December 2010 we moored at the same buoy but there were dozens of much larger black tips. Didn't bother me as I've been around them several times but some people did have a hard time with it. Some were 4 - 5 feet, had a few bump into me because there were so many. Was about 100 - 150 yards from where we moored to actually step foot on the motu.

If you don't like sharks of any kind this may not be the tour for you.

Yes. Upon leaving the motu at the lagoon, Jean Pierre and his guides allow the opportunity for guests (if they choose) to swim with the larger black tip sharks (and even larger lemon sharks carousing below) just beyond the reef.

Having swam with the black-tips at various islands on other tours, I've always felt at ease around them. They may indeed look like well....sharks....but they generally are only interested in the scraps that they are being fed. The lemons on the other hand....................

• 6 months later...

Archived