Clothing for Christmas market cruise

Sue4LSU

Ladies! I need help! Will be cruising on AMA Kristina from Basel to Amsterdam the first week of December, and just wondering how cold it gets?? this girl from Dallas doesn't have a lot of cold weather stuff!

When we were there, cold weather clothing was a must! Snow boots, cuddle duds (insulated undies), sweaters, stocking caps, gloves, etc. Maybe you have some friends who are ski bunnies you could borrow some clothing from.

Cole

The first two weeks of December tend to be colder than Christmas actually. In short: It is often frosty in the night, especially in Switzerland and gets milder as you go downstream. Temperatures during the day can be anything from minus 5 Celsius to plus 15 Celsius (rare). As you will be out and about during tours and often walk slowly you can get cold, so take good walking shoes with thicker soles as it can be wet and pavements are often uneven. Gloves, scarf, hat and anything similar that will make you feel warm I recommend taking. If you have problems getting the right stuff in time, not to worry. Shops in Basel will be well-stocked with winter clothes.

Have a look at the thread at this Texas fellow's question. He has a similar problem to you and people have helped him out with some great suggestions :): https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2551516

Have a great cruise. Hope you get some snow, it adds to the magic of Christmas markets greatly.

notamermaid

This Southern California girl has the same problem. I am about to test layers with warm undies, a merino wool sweater, fleece vest, hooded heavy fleece jacket with waterproof outer layer, scarf, gloves, wool socks and thick soled shoes, as recommended by CC posters, at Yosemite at night. This is in preparation for a 2018 December Christmas to New Years cruise on the Danube. Maybe it will be cold enough in Yosemite to give me an idea if I will be warm enough. Can you tell I enjoy planning for trips?

We'll be departing for Austria in 7 weeks, followed by a Christmas market cruise. This is our favorite time of year to visit Europe! We love the markets and have visited for them at least a dozen times over the years, from late November to after New Years. Weather truly is unpredictable!

I live in FL and packing layers is my ticket to staying warm. Cuddle Duds as base layer with a half zip top are my go to's on top, and heavier weight leggings or cords on the bottom. Athleta makes a Polartec fabric that is warm and travels well. I pack 1-2 light weight down vests as well for really cold days and evenings.

Insulated, waterproof boots are a must (I have Sorels and Merrell's ) and SmartWool socks. Scarves, hat, gloves (really important that these keep your hands warm). My coat is a full length down with both zipper and button closure and knitted inner cuffs.

Good websites for shopping (we don't have much of a selection here in FL for winter clothes) are Sierra Trading Post, Zappos (boots), and I have good luck with ebay.

The AmaKristina looks gorgeous - have a fabulous trip!

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Dallas gal also. We have spent a lot of time in that part of Europe in December. You should plan on cold, and potentially wet, weather. It goes without saying to bring a warm coat, hat, warm gloves, and scarf. You will likely want something that covers your ears, so add earmuffs if your hat doesn't. Also, sturdy shoes or boots that will hold up to walking, potentially on snow and ice, and can keep your feet warm even if they get wet. Plan on dressing in layers. We pack the equivalent of long underwear and have found it can make all the difference, particularly once the sun goes down. Keep in mind it will be dark by 4:30 that time of the year. I have found that a pair of opaque tights under my slacks/jeans works great. Wal-mart's is a good place to buy inexpensive long sleeved tees that are designed to wear as a base layer. Last year, I packed knee high boots and found that extra layer on my legs made a big difference.

If you don't have a wool or other heavy coat (as many Dallas gals don't) but do have a trenchcoat, put the lining in it and bring it. I did that a couple of years ago. With the base layers, a warm sweater, and an extra heavy shawl wrapped around my shoulders, I was both stylish and comfortable. And it snowed that entire trip!

We find the common areas on the boat can be chilly. I packed a couple of dressy sweaters for evening that I could wear with pants or a skirt, as well as a shawl that I could add. My husband ended up wearing a sports jacket over his sweater most nights.

Lastly, throw in a couple of small umbrellas in your bag. The cruise lines typically provide big umbrellas, which we used. But if you plan on doing anything before or after your cruise, there is a good bet you will be glad you have them with you.

Enjoy the cruise.

We have been on this cruise route a few times before at that time of year. I found mittens the best to keep hands warn. Lots of shops to look for mittens/gloves/ scarves etc. Remember there are cobble stones I have a pair of faux fur lined Skechers that I keep only for these trips ended up wearing them almost all the time, had a pair of leather boots with rubber soles just in case Have found fun Loved Basel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These mitts were recommended to me and I purchased them and believe I will love them. They are fingerless gloves with a mitt that you can open to take pictures or use cell phone and when finished closed back off. They also have a pocket that looks large enough to be useable for a cell phone or money, credit cards, etc. https://www.thewarmingstore.com/sprigs-multi-mitt.html

sprigs-multi-mitt-fleece-fingerless-gloves-40.pngsprigs-multi-mitt-fleece-fingerless-gloves-41.pngsprigs-multi-mitt-fleece-fingerless-gloves-42.png

Sprigs Multi-Mitt Fleece Fingerless Gloves

If you have a Marshalls near you check their lingerie departments for Cuddle Duds, they usually run around $9.99 and also make good pj’s. Target & Walmart also have similar unders but a different brand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise last December and since did a Danube cruise with AMA. First let me say, it was freezing. We actually enjoyed our December cruise more and the ports, so that is a plus. I was 63 at the time. If we were outside for a long time, about 1 1/2 hours into it, I would get shooting pain in my shoulders until I got back into the warmth of a restaurant and/or the ship. Once I'd warm up I was fine. I layered my clothes and wore long johns too. I wore very warm clothes, but since I'm no longer use to the cold (being a Floridian for 8 years - just couldn't handle it too long outside). But the trip was incredible and the markets and square were gorgeous.

Now inside the ship lounge, we would sit but people were constantly going in and out of the sliding door to smoke or take pictures, its best you bring a sweater to keep on in the lounges also.