Explorer or Jewel

Bruins14

I'm trying to decide between a 12 night cruise on Explorer or an 11 night cruise on Jewel. I can drive to NJ, but the price for the price on Jewel w/flight is only 200.00 more for 2 people. The Jewel is 1 less night, but as it leaves FL should be warmer right away. Both of these cruises are Nov 09. I have Cruised Explorer twice before.

Jewel Itin.

Day 1 Miami

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising

Day 4 Aruba

Day 5 Cartagena, Colombia

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Colon, Panama

Day 8 Puerto Lima, Costa Rica

Day 9 Cruising

Day 10 George Town, Grand Cayman

Day 11 Cruising

Day 12 Miani

Explorer Itin.

Day 1 Cape Liberty, NJ

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising

Day 4 Cruising

Day 5 St. Thomas

Day 6 St. Maarten

Day 7 Dominica

Day 8 Barbados

Day 9 Antigua

Day 10 Tortola, BVI

Day 11 Cruising

Day 12 Cruising

Day 13 Cape Liberty

Even though it is one day less, I think I would choose the Jewel, especially if you nave never sailed on her before. Which ports are you more interested in, or have not been to before? Whichever you choose, you will have a great cruise.

What do you like most---ports, or sea days? That would be the kicker, for us! Personally, I'd rather do the Explorer itin.--and I like the Voyager class ships better than the Radiance class....love the open Solarium on Voyager class. No tanning on the Radiance enclosed solariums!

Plus, the warm-weather start is a BIG plus, for me!

The Jewel is an absolutely gorgeous ship... Probably the 'prettiest' ship I've ever been on.. And glass and sea views everywhere:)

EOS is larger, and the Promenade is great.. BUT! I'd pick the Jewel in a heartbeat, especially sailing from FL!:D

I was not happy with the Explorer. It was my first RCCL cruise and it was very disappointing. I expected more than I got. The food -ick! The service -okay. The room vibrated all night long and I when I looked up into the bunks, there were shims in it, obviously an ongoing issue. I usually do Carnival and I would pick any of their ships over this one. No robes, no beach towels in the room as if I want to wait on a line for towels before an excursion! The kids club -my daughter refused to go back after two days! and she is an experienced cruiser too.:(

My vote is for the Jewel. There is nothing like trying a different ship. The whole WOW factor comes alive (again). Leaving out of FL is also a plus! I'd rather play pool than go ice skating. The Schooner Bar is so much nicer on the Radiance. Don't forget to notice the vague "smell" as you enter the Schooner bar through a ships hull. That's a unique feature. The Radiance class is just that, radiant!

We try to alternate between Radiance & Voyager class because we enjoy both so much, but in different ways...the more elegant Radiance class (less rowdy kids onboard usually, smoother running gas turbines & upscale solarium) or the bigger less glamourous Voyager class with massive Royal Promenade...it comes down to the itinerary, the ports you want most...but also keep an eye on when they're doing repairs on Explorer (propeller issue from another thread has caused RCI to adjust/shorten routes recently).

We chosethe Jewel for a holiday cruise next December. For me, it was a no brainer as we have to fly to either port. The Jewel starts out in warm weather. I saw photos of the Explorer last Dec with snow on the decks(: No thanks(: I don't want to wait a day or two to get to the warm weather. Plus, I think it can get rough along the Atlantic coast . I've sailed on Radiance class ships and love them. As to no tanning in the solarium ... I'd guess not much tanning time near NYC in November. I'd pick Jewel over Explorer any time.

Barb

What do you like most---ports, or sea days? That would be the kicker, for us! Personally, I'd rather do the Explorer itin.--and I like the Voyager class ships better than the Radiance class....love the open Solarium on Voyager class. No tanning on the Radiance enclosed solariums!

Plus, the warm-weather start is a BIG plus, for me!

The Jewel was the one that went out of Miami.

Wow, this is a very interesting response. We're sailing on the Explorer in 5 weeks' time but are thinking of booking a future cruise on the Jewel whilst we're onboard. This is really encouraging to hear how well people think of the Jewel :D

I wanted to add that we went on a New England/Canada cruise last October. Our choice was between Jewel out of Boston or Explorer out of NJ, and we chose Explorer due to the itinerary. It was a great cruise, but I still prefer RCI's Radiance and Vision-class ships to the Voyager-class ships.

Archived