? Early embarkation cancelled

saltshell

I wonder if things go better than expected, could they start boarding earlier than 1 p.m?

Since we are in the first group to board, we plan to get there a bit earlier than 1 pm. We figure if they are ready earlier than 1 pm, we will be there. I think getting there at 11 am will only result in sitting in the terminal for a long time, but getting there a bit before your appointed time would probably be okay.

If I am wrong, I am sure there will be plenty on this board who will pipe up to correct me.

Terri

HAL sent an alert via e-mail. Ship issue coming into port from Europe and will need clearance and some sort of crew training. Disappointed will miss MDR lunch. Guess I'll need to find somewhere inear Lauderdale.

Anytime a ship returns to the US after an extended absence, the ship must pass US Coast guard inspections as well as US Health Dept. inspections.

Crews hate it, but there is no avoiding it. Super cleaning goes on all over the ship.

This happened when the K-dam arrived in the US on Nov 9th. About a week before we got an email stating that check-ins and boarding would be done by deck, starting at 3:00. We dropped our bags at the terminal around 10:30 and then went to early lunch off-port. (We drove down.) While at lunch we got a text that check-ins would begin at 1:00.

However, some people either didn't get the email or ignored it, as we saw people getting out of taxis with their baggage at 10:30.

I think some people are just impatient and figure they will be first in line when embarkation opens.

This has happened to us quite a few times and various reasons and in different ports like Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, Seattle.

If they waited until the last couple of days before we were scheduled to sail, we would not get the email.

I don't take a cell phone with me (no need for one) and I don't bother with the internet once we leave the house which is usually 4 days before the cruise.

The same has happened to us on several occasions. No phone, no computer, no information. Especially internationally. We always leave a few days early.

Edited by carolmacey

Terri, it was thoughtful of you to post the message on the roll call. I know if I on that cruise and did not get the e-mail;, I would be sending effusive thanks to you.

Edited by sail7seas

Happened to us on the Oosterdam in November (Tampa). For us, a combination of the ship coming back to the US from Europe AND a Norovirus sanitation procedure. The embarkation schedule we received was not exactly adhered to. We were supposed to be able to board at 1pm, but it wound up being much later. We stood in line outside the cruise terminal for a VERY long time and it was rather unpleasant with the beating sun and no shade available. I think we got on the boat closer to 2:30p.

My advice is take your time getting there. Know that the schedule they provided may or may not be adhered to. If we ever encounter this again, we certainly won't be rushing to be at the port by 1p. Lesson learned.