Yokohama - do we need a tour ?

sunset001

This link might be helpful to some folks http://cruiseportwiki.com/Tokyo

The metro Tokyo area is simply huge. One does not just go into Tokyo...one should have a specific destination neighborhood in mind such as Ginza, Shinjuku, etc. If in Yokohama for a day (or several days) you cannot possibly see it all....so one needs to focus on what is important to yourself.

Hank

• 1 month later...

We are on the Celebrity Millennium in April and staying in Yokohama for 2 nights prior to the cruise. Other ports are Aomori, Hakodate and Sapporo (Muroran).

Any private tours available at these ports and HO/HO buses??? Starting to look for tours.

Are US$ accepted in Japan? How about credit cards?

Thanks for any info and for the info above that I have already read!

Anne

We are on the Celebrity Millennium in April and staying in Yokohama for 2 nights prior to the cruise. Other ports are Aomori, Hakodate and Sapporo (Muroran).

Any private tours available at these ports and HO/HO buses??? Starting to look for tours.

Anne

Currency, would a cab driver in New York or LA accept US$? I don’t think so, get Japanese Yen before you go or at an ATM.

Yokohama is quite doable without a tour, taxis are reasonable, we took one to Sankien gardens and with three of us it cost only a little more than public transport and saved the hassle and extra walking.

The red brick warehouse is worth a look, lots of little shops and some eating places.

Spend some time on Trip Advisor and google to check out places that interest you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anne

I stayed a couple nights in Yokohama at the Hotel New Grand. It was very nice and I had a fantastic view! It is super easy to just walk around Yokohama by yourself - no need for a tour. If you want to go into Tokyo though a tour would probably be good. I used my credit card everywhere but do wish I had exchanged a small amount money for the small dollar items. But I managed.

We will be in Yokohama, b2b cruises in April. Does Princess offer tours for the day? Nothing showing on either cruises in cruise excursion lists.

We are also in Yokohoma on back to backs in April (Golden Princess) and they do offer several tours to Tokyo as well as one to Hakone National Park (Mt Fuji) and another to Kamakura. As to ourselves, we are planning on taking the train into Tokyo, spending the night in a hotel, and catching up to the ship the next day in Shimizu. We also explored spending 2 nights off the ship and catching up in Osaka...but decided the one night idea was more practical.

Hank

I absolutely enjoyed Yokohama when we stayed there in 2016 for two nights pre-cruise. Don't mind going back again and explore more. Have two cruises lined up for May and November 2018, either depart or call at Yokohama. It's easy to navigate and walkable.

Just a small deviation from my existing question.

We have our cruise ship (Celebrity Millennium) stop in Shimizu from 7:00 am until 3:00 Pm. As time is very limited - we opted for the cruise tour, but still hesitating which one to select (see below). Any recommendation/advise ?

1. Best of Shimizu (Spend a day exploring Shimizu's unforgettable medieval castle ruins, world-heritage-listed ancient pine grove, exquisite traditional gardens, and more)

2. Shizuoka City Highlights Half Day

3. Mt Fuji and Hakone National Park

4. Shiraito Waterfalls and Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha Shrine

5. Mt. Fuji and Lake Ashi

If you opt for #3 or #5, you are going to spend a long time in transit on the bus. I prefer to stick closer to the port and see more.