From Onboard Explorer

We’re first time Regent cruisers, will be on the Explorer in March. Is there a reasonably quiet bar for the evenings. We’re not great fans of amplified music.... don’t mind a piano or a low key singer.....

I'd like to know how the sound levels are now on the Explorer also. When I was on it, now a year ago, every venue was amplified way too loud for my taste. The loud sound, including the evening shows, was not pleasant. Asking staff to turn down the volume didn't seem to make a difference. I hope things have changed as I recall others on CC had similar complaints.

Usually the music in the Meridian in early evening is fairly low-key. We find it a good place for drinks and conversation. There is a pianist in the O lounge most evenings, but I must admit I haven’t yet been up there in the evening. The music in the Explorer Lounge tends to be more in your face.

Usually the music in the Meridian in early evening is fairly low-key. We find it a good place for drinks and conversation. There is a pianist in the O lounge most evenings, but I must admit I haven’t yet been up there in the evening. The music in the Explorer Lounge tends to be more in your face.

I'm trying to remember, is the Explorer Lounge the one near Compass Rose? We would usually stop on that one before dinner and I didn't find it too loud. Also on Observation lounge after dinner usually they had a pianist and it was low key.

Go good to hear from you and to know that "our" Explorer is the same as when we left her.

Sorry that you missed the Meet and Mingle. The one on the Mariner (according to friends) pretty dead. The best part was the food and friendly officers that attended.

Enjoy your cruise (hugs to Herb)

Missed M/M this morning. I did not receive any info. Sorry. Badly coordinated.

Sheila

The m and m was great. People mingled and talked to everyone. All Sr officers were there. All very friendly and welcoming. Good turn out. Food looked great but as I had just finished brekkies didn't eat. Good for Regent

Sandy

The m and m was great. People mingled and talked to everyone. All Sr officers were there. All very friendly and welcoming. Good turn out. Food looked great but as I had just finished brekkies didn't eat. Good for Regent

Sandy

Was it held in the Meridien Lounge like last year? In my opinion, Daniella and her team go above and beyond for both Meet and Greets and Meet and Mingles. Glad that you had a good time.

Was it held in the Meridien Lounge like last year? In my opinion, Daniella and her team go above and beyond for both Meet and Greets and Meet and Mingles. Glad that you had a good time.

It was inExplorer lounge. Had a long chat with the Captain whom we had dins with a couple of years ago and he was the Staff Captain then. So I said "now u b the boss" and he said no that is Daniella. So true we love her

The crossing has begun, as has the next segment of our back-to-back. I am told that 106 of us continued from the Rome to Lisbon cruise on to the crossing. I also understand that about 700 passengers are on board, up from the approximately 650 on Rome to Lisbon.

Interestingly, I think the service, which already was excellent, has improved from the last segment. It’s particularly noticeable in La Veranda in the morning, where people are constantly offering more coffee, water, etc. Last segment, they sometimes had to be flagged down.

Also interestingly, the coffee has improved. Or at least the Cafe Americano. Previously, it had tasted like someone had just added hot water to some espresso. Now it tastes like a proper combo of brewed and espresso, and the crema is on the top as it should be.

We are in Funchal today. Our excursion was a visit to a nice botanical garden, followed by a ride up the funicular and ride down on the toboggan baskets. That was a lot of fun. Yes, it’s a weird tradition, but a great one. Our toboggan drivers were a hoot. The excursion ended with a ridiculous stop at an embroidery shop.

Another day at sea tomorrow, then two stops in the Azores, then 4 straight sea days to Bermuda. Lots of activities provided, including two guest lecturers and a very dynamic social media instructor. A new entertainment troupe is on, so it will be interesting to see their show tonight.

Daniella and her team did a fantastic job at the m & m. She has organized a premium wine lunch i expect it will be as good or better than last years. The only gripe is the only indian tonic water is diet. Why ruin good gin with poor tonic? On the other hand there’s a good selection of satisfactory wines. Oh life on ship is so good. Dennis

Sounds as if all of you are having a good time on Explorer. She is definitely a great ship with a wonderful crew.

If anyone has time, please report on the weather/temperatures. Last year the crossing was quite warm so I'm curious if that is the case again.

Looking forward to your posts!

I'm appreciating the posts and glad that everyone is enjoying the cruise.

Question: Is there any creaking (or other kinds of noise) in the cabins? I ask because there's another post which speaks to that. Being noise sensitive, I'd be interested in hearing if that's generally the case or whether it might just be in certain cabins. Not good.

Also: Are the curtains true black-out? If one wanted the room completely darkened from outside light is that achievable?

Enjoy your cruise all you lucky people!

There’s a few grexes and groans, but nothing I haven’t heard on pretty much every ship I’ve ever been on.

The blackout curtains are quite complete, at least in the concierge suite I’m in. The real challenge is figuring out which switches turn out what lights.

There’s a few grexes and groans, but nothing I haven’t heard on pretty much every ship I’ve ever been on.

The blackout curtains are quite complete, at least in the concierge suite I’m in. The real challenge is figuring out which switches turn out what lights.

Could not agree with you more. We are currently on the Mariner in the Amazon and it is important to keep the ship as dark as possible (or else there are bugs everywhere). We are also keeping the suite dark because of the heat. It is all working well.

In terms of groans, yep - all ships have them. How else would you know that you were at sea!

poss, hope that you take the Norway cruise - it was one of our top 3 cruises ever.

wishIweretravelling, you are obviously enjoying the cruise. I'm not sure how other people come to a different conclusion.

I appreciate reading the balanced posts and hope you, as well as others, will continue to post about your experiences.