last minute alaska cruise deals - how last minute?

alaska_planner

i have to be in the USA in June for my 45th high school reunion (and how is that even possible? i don't feel that old!!)

my husband said he'd meet me in the US after the reunion so that we can go to disney world and/or on a cruise or whatever..

so i was thinking why not a last minute alaska cruise..

i've been to alaska, he hasn't...so this might be an opportunity..

and i've always wanted to gamble at trying for a last minute bargain rate...

if none are available, then no loss....we'll just do something else....we don't really care..

but it would be fun to try for it...(i just looked at last minute rates right now and found a TA in december for only $649/person in a balcony room...insane....)

i've never been able to gamble on cruises this way as we're always with family when i have to book way in advance to be sure.

but it's just the two of us, so i'm willing to try..

so my question is, when exactly is "last minute" for alaska cruises?

any cruise line is fine (other than carnival)

I have not seen many last minute Alaska deals.

I always remind people that typically the lowest price rooms go first so even if there is a deal you might pay more then if you booked the lower price category.

In the end it all comes down to supply and demand.

Keith

And there seems to be substantially more demand than supply. Alaska is such that one cruise line, at least, doesn't homeport even one ship in the Caribbean during the summer. Holland America has seven ships in Alaska, and their only foray into the Caribbean is part of a single, 21-day voyage that includes the Canadian maritimes. And Princess isn't much different: Seven ships in Alaska and only one ship homeported in the Caribbean.

It is possible you can find something last minute, but you probably won't find a good deal on airfare, so there may not be much overall savings. You will find better deals in Alaska if you can go in May before your reunion in June. June is starting prime season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do find late bargain deals, my last trip in August was booked 2 days prior with me leaving within 24 hours, and having my touring set up. I am NOT a typical traveler however, so not recommended for everyone.

I do speculate there will be some last minute availability. NCL Bliss is launching which will increase capacity 1600 people per week.

I block most of June, July and August for my Alaska trips (except July 4th week for NYC) and never fail to pick up last minute sailings. I'm gone for usually 6 or more weeks, many times split weeks. This year- I am in Europe until last week of May, so won't be doing my usual May sailings.

I have not seen many last minute Alaska deals.

I always remind people that typically the lowest price rooms go first so even if there is a deal you might pay more then if you booked the lower price category.

In the end it all comes down to supply and demand.

Keith

as far as booking early is concerned, that ship has already sailed - so to speak..

if i don't get anything good for alaska, we'll sail wherever...and if nothing is dirt cheap, we'll go visit the mouse...

...and if nothing is dirt cheap, we'll go visit the mouse...
Which isn't really dirt cheap itself. We just priced out annual passes for three trips within a 12 month period, and while it's a "bargain" as compared to purchasing separate tickets for each of the trips, it's still about $1200 pp!

It is possible you can find something last minute, but you probably won't find a good deal on airfare, so there may not be much overall savings. You will find better deals in Alaska if you can go in May before your reunion in June. June is starting prime season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May is out of the question - too many obligations at home for either of us to get away..

as for airfare....usually true, but sometimes you can get a bargain....i was very annoyed this past summer when i noticed that airfares fell during the summer....that's after i purchased our 8 tickets ten months in advance...

i could have saved us about $4,000 had i bought them in july rather than in october....how insane is that????

but when i'm taking the entire family, i can't risk not being able to get seats on a plane at all...

so i have to buy in advance, regardless of whether the price will fall at some later point..

but when it's just the two of us, i'm willing to be adventurous...

maybe we'll just rent a car in detroit and start driving...

i've always wanted to do a long road trip to as many national parks as i could manage... :D

I do find late bargain deals, my last trip in August was booked 2 days prior with me leaving within 24 hours, and having my touring set up. I am NOT a typical traveler however, so not recommended for everyone.

I do speculate there will be some last minute availability. NCL Bliss is launching which will increase capacity 1600 people per week.

I block most of June, July and August for my Alaska trips (except July 4th week for NYC) and never fail to pick up last minute sailings. I'm gone for usually 6 or more weeks, many times split weeks. This year- I am in Europe until last week of May, so won't be doing my usual May sailings.

that's my kind of travel...

i'll keep my fingers crossed...it will either work out or it won't..

Which isn't really dirt cheap itself. We just priced out annual passes for three trips within a 12 month period, and while it's a "bargain" as compared to purchasing separate tickets for each of the trips, it's still about $1200 pp!

"isn't really dirt cheap" is a major understatement when it comes to the mouse..

we were there is august for 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that was all 8 of us..

not dirt cheap in the slightest...

but the mouse is worth it...to us....

to give you an idea, my name on the disboards is disneyholic_family

that kind of says it all :o