Alaska cruise on Norwegian advice needed please

cruiseadors

Hello :D,

We are taking our very first cruise in July this year and we don't know where to start with shore excursions and inclusions.

We have two teenagers and a seven year old (all girls). Can anyone recommend some shore excursions that would suit these ages and are good value/must dos? We would rather stay together, if possible. Our stops are:Ketchikan, Juneau,Skagway,Victoria.

Also, our ship is offering us two packages per cabin and we have an interconnecting cabin with an adult and one child in one and an adult and two children in the other. Can anyone offer any advice on which package is the best value for money? We have the choice of drinks, wifi, $50 per shore excursion, specialty dining. We aren't big drinkers, but don't mind a wine with dinner and we do plan to do a couple of shore excursions.

Any advice from experienced cruisers is much appreciated! Thank you in advance. :cool:

Google your ports and find out what is offered in those ports. Discuss with your family what you would like to do. Note that excursions can be VERY expensive in Alaska. Visit the Ports of Call board here for Alaska. Lots of good advice there. As far as drink packages go, look up what it would cost if you were to buy it. Figure out how many drinks per day that would be. Since you will be ashore much of most of the days, you won't be drinking those 'free' drinks, but paying on land for others. Unless you are a two fisted drinker you won't get your moneys worth on a drink package. choose the options that put money INTO your pocket, not take it out. If one of your options is gratuities, take it. EM

I agree with Essiesmom. Start by looking here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

which is the Alaska portion of Cruise Critic. Look at what NCL is offering. What interests you and your group? Work on what appeals to your interests, not what we tell you to do. "Must do" isn't what we say it is, it is what interests you!

In Ketchikan my husband and son went fishing for salmon. It was then brought to the ship and we had for dinner. Myself and my 2 kids who were 8,9. We just walked around the port and did sighting that way. Juneau we did the mendahall glacier hiking, skagway we did a Yukon bus tour and it was everyone's favourite from our larger group. Besides the fishing, my husband and son liked that the most.

Google your ports and find out what is offered in those ports. Discuss with your family what you would like to do. Note that excursions can be VERY expensive in Alaska. Visit the Ports of Call board here for Alaska. Lots of good advice there. As far as drink packages go, look up what it would cost if you were to buy it. Figure out how many drinks per day that would be. Since you will be ashore much of most of the days, you won't be drinking those 'free' drinks, but paying on land for others. Unless you are a two fisted drinker you won't get your moneys worth on a drink package. choose the options that put money INTO your pocket, not take it out. If one of your options is gratuities, take it. EM

Thank you very much for your advice. It's much appreciated.

I agree with Essiesmom. Start by looking here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

which is the Alaska portion of Cruise Critic. Look at what NCL is offering. What interests you and your group? Work on what appeals to your interests, not what we tell you to do. "Must do" isn't what we say it is, it is what interests you!

Thank you, Cruiser Bruce. I will check out that board. I find cruise critic a little difficult to navigate so appreciate the link.

In Ketchikan my husband and son went fishing for salmon. It was then brought to the ship and we had for dinner. Myself and my 2 kids who were 8,9. We just walked around the port and did sighting that way. Juneau we did the mendahall glacier hiking, skagway we did a Yukon bus tour and it was everyone's favourite from our larger group. Besides the fishing, my husband and son liked that the most.

They sound like great activities. I think walking around the port is a good idea. It's easy to get caught up in the "shore excursions", but being from Australia, I'm sure we'll find the ports fascinating on their own.

I'm discovering the excursions are VERY expensive, especially is there's five of you. You're right, we should think about what will put money into our pocket. We won't be having lots of drinks every day, especially as we will be at port for many days. I didn't think of it that way. Thanks very much.

Juneau-do a private whale watching with someone like Harv and Marv or take the bus to Mendenhall glacier.

Skagway- go to the Yukon by train and then van or do it yourself with a rental car.

Ketchikan- find a local tour to see the sites (totems, eagle's nests, etc.) and then walk around town.

Victoria- if there for the day, go to the gardens . If only evening, walk the town, it is lovely.

Did these all privately. Easy to do. Check the Alaska board. Which ship and date?

We loved Alaska! Did it last summer! Yes defiantly do Harv and Marv you can take a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier and we did Whale watching in the afternoon! In Skagway we went to the Yukon on a smaller van it held like 20 people! So glad we did that instead of the train, we stopped when we wanted saw bears it was one of our favorites! Look at Trip Advisor! We only did one tour with the ship and didn’t like it! We Sea Kayaked in Ketchikan it was awesome! Have a wonderful time! If you can just get on board credit either the gratuities or some pictures with family would be great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Alaska last August on NCL. We did all private excursions and saved quite a bit over the ships excursions. We aren't big drinkers but did take the drink package, didn't have option from free gratuities. We looked at taking the $50 off excursions but when I laid it all out, taking private excursions was still way cheaper. It was just 2 of us though so YMMV. I liked being able to get a soda when I wanted, which was also included in the drink package.

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale watching, due to late arrival we didn't get as much time at the glacier but had plenty. I saw a bear getting salmon to feed the 2 baby bears. You have to walk down the path a little to get to the stream.

In Skagway we went to the Yukon on a smaller van it held like 20 people! We did this also, stopped numerous times, lots of pix taking opportunities, would do this over the train every time.

In Juneau we went on a walk through the rainforest. It was interesting but I don't think we picked one of the better ones. DH saw a bear, we saw lots of eagles.

In Victoria the dock is quite away from town, I thought it was closer and we tried to walk. If you are going into take take the shuttle. We docked really late due to a medical emergency at previous stop so we didn't arrive until after it was dark, didn't see much.

The week before we went the weather was sunny and warm. The week we went it rained just about every day. Best thing we did was water proof (using spray waterproofing) our jackets, hoods and walking shoes. It wasn't really cold just wet. Quick dry pants, with tights under, warm socks and waterproofed jackets and shoes saved our vacation.

Glacier day was coldest, took an extra sweatshirt just for that day and was really glad I had it, gloves and a hat to go with my windbreaker. I didn't want to pack a heavy coat just for one day.