Cabin organization and storage tips?

iHeartGlaciers

Store one of your suitcases open under the bed. Then you can throw clothes in there without pulling it all the way out.

If you are coming in a day early, pack everything you will need until you get on the ship separate so that you don't end up having to repack your suitcase before you get on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take half the amount of cloths

I'm bringing one carry-on suitcase of clothes for an 11-night cruise and a couple days before embarkation, so I can't get rid of half! :p

But I do love the idea of putting the open suitcase under the bed as a drawer! It's fun reading everyone's org tips!

Edited by iHeartGlaciers

Half of the clothes/shoes I want to pack was a lesson that I've kept with me since my first cruise, although I realize that doesn't apply to you.

I also use the magnets to hang up the "Fun Times" itinerary for the next day. Suitcase under the bed so it isn't in the way and also doubles as a dirty laundry basket.

I can't recommend ziplocks enough - I bring a variety of sizes. One of them I keep my iPhone (which I use as my camera/watch) in when I go anywhere so that it protects it from the water/sand but it is still touch-screen sensitive in the ziplock bag. I also use one that I keep any cards that I may need in, and have found random use for the other bags.

• 2 weeks later...

We bring a magnetic write-erase board and place it on the inside of our door. We use it to write things we want to remember. For example: napkin folding @ 2 - Shooner Bar, 4:30 Trivia Contest - Atrium, etc.

This system works for us because I always lose my Compass or Fun Times. And since we go back to our cabin a couple of times a day it is just easier to read our board.

My traveling companion is a little OCD, more so than me, and she is good with spread sheets. She makes a spreadsheet or two with each day mapped out and plots ports/excursions etc. diff colors for diff days. Clipped to metal wall...VOILA! Instant organization! I have a small cheap dry erase board that has magnets on the back and we clip next to the spreadsheets and write down things we want to do the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Zip lock for the safe is a great tip. Too many people have things left behind in the safe because it's dark, small and out of the way. Agree with a couple of the magnetic hooks for the wall too. We've carried the shoe organizer before, but we've just found that we never really used it. Four to a cabin, maybe, but for a couple? Nope.

Totally agree. The cabins make the most out of every inch of space there are storage spaces everywhere. First time I found a packing list on here with all the extras, I carried bungee cords, duct tape, highlighters, note pads, shoe organizers, power strips, night lights, insulated mugs, pop-up hamper, battery operated clock, battery operated candles, plug in air fresheners, paper-back books, personal items for the room stewards, and about a dozen other items. I practically had a suitcase full of all this stuff and it never got used or really wasn't needed. I use the zip lock bags and a couple of magnetic hooks and I carry over-the-counter meds. I give the stewards extra cash in addition to the usual tips. I leave the bathroom light on and the light that seeps out of the crack at the bottom of the door is about an inch wide so that's plenty of light. I use one of the flat cardboard air fresheners sold for cars for the bathroom. I use room service delivery of coffee for my wake up call or use the automated wake up call on the cabin phone. I keep $1's in an envelope to tip the room service delivery. Outside that, you just don't need the other things. Flying to the ports and lugging all this extra stuff got old VERY fast. I don't consider it "making do" to go without all these extras. We had a piece of luggage that had a broken zipper on the night we were packing to leave. I went to guest services. They took the luggage and returned it to us fixed to get us home. I had gone to see if they would give me a strip of duct tape. They said they would, but why not let them see if they could fix it first. These folks are FABULOUS.

• 3 weeks later...

First time travelling with the magnetic clips, based on suggestions here, and I wanted to report that I LOVED having them!:D

We were travelling as a family of 4, and I was able to put up many different pieces of information for my family. I typically would clip up our confirmation email/ information on each tour we had scheduled - so we wouldn't forget to bring it. I would also hand write a list to go with each tour so my kids knew what to pack in their backpacks each day. (Alaskan cruise - we needed to think and pack a little differently).

There seems to be a lot of paper that accumulates - it was great to keep it organized and visible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bring a pillow case to use as a laundry bag and keep it in the suitcase under the bed
  • Magnets work on walls and mirrors; messages can be written on mirrors in dry erase marker

Have fun!

Ooohhh - love the dry erase marker idea! The pillowcase is also a good one. We use a fold up clothes hamper that we found at a dollar store. It folds up flat to the size of a small plate, so it takes up minimal space in the suitcase. We've never used the shoe organizer. Never found myself missing it either.

Edited by LHARTWICK

I have a few (like 20) packing tips that might help you. Also, be sure to not over pack, pack for a day less than your actual cruise length.

1. Take as many things as possible in your carry-on (bathing suits, formal clothes, towels, etc.)

2. Pack Ponchos for rainy days

3. Sea sickness medication is a must

4. Water proof cameras are great for the pool and excursions

5. “Rainy day” activities (cards, board games, puzzles, etc.) are good things to bring

6. It gets cold sometimes, bring a sweatshirt

7. You only need 2-3 formal outfits

8. Bring your own towels

9. The ships are big, you need comfy shoes

10. You will get a schedule for the next day, pack a few high lighters to mark interesting events

11. For wet clothes, zip-lock bags can be helpful

12. Bring a power strip, there are only 1-2 outlets in your cabin

13. $1s and $5s for tipping

14. Shower gel and shampoo are included, so you don't need to bring them

15. There may not be hair dryers on board, so pack one

16. Some beaches are very rocky, pack water shoes

17. Take a few extra clothes in your carry on, just in case if your luggage arrives late

18. Your carry-on for the plane SHOULD work for the cruise

I have a few (like 20) packing tips that might help you. Also, be sure to not over pack, pack for a day less than your actual cruise length.

1. Take as many things as possible in your carry-on (bathing suits, formal clothes, towels, etc.)

2. Pack Ponchos for rainy days

3. Sea sickness medication is a must

4. Water proof cameras are great for the pool and excursions

5. “Rainy day” activities (cards, board games, puzzles, etc.) are good things to bring

6. It gets cold sometimes, bring a sweatshirt

7. You only need 2-3 formal outfits

8. Bring your own towels

9. The ships are big, you need comfy shoes

10. You will get a schedule for the next day, pack a few high lighters to mark interesting events

11. For wet clothes, zip-lock bags can be helpful

12. Bring a power strip, there are only 1-2 outlets in your cabin

13. $1s and $5s for tipping

14. Shower gel and shampoo are included, so you don't need to bring them

15. There may not be hair dryers on board, so pack one

16. Some beaches are very rocky, pack water shoes

17. Take a few extra clothes in your carry on, just in case if your luggage arrives late

It's a vacation not a deployment...avoid these take everything just in case lists like the plague...by the time you get it unpacked they'll be calling you flight home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bring your own towels

I'm confused as to why one should bring their own towels?

I admire people who can pack a 7 day cruise into ONE carryon. I would like to know how this is done. We pack very light and could never do this. Even if we wore the same outfit every day with one pair of shoes each, it wouldn't be possible. Color me stumped! :)

I'm confused as to why one should bring their own towels?

I admire people who can pack a 7 day cruise into ONE carryon. I would like to know how this is done. We pack very light and could never do this. Even if we wore the same outfit every day with one pair of shoes each, it wouldn't be possible. Color me stumped! :)

I did a 7 night Alaska cruise, plus a few days in Seattle in one carry on, so it is possible! I mixed and matched outfits as much as possible, wore the same dress for both formal nights, and wore most of my hiking stuff, like my hiking boots and fleece jacket, on the plane.

I use the rolling method to get as much in my suitcase as possible!

If I bring a more heavy duty hook (20 pound weight limit) will it still work on the wall I'm thinking of hanging my Vera Bradley jewelry holder or toiletries holder. Does anyone know if that will work. I hate to have clutter around the room. Thanks for any help.

If I bring a more heavy duty hook (20 pound weight limit) will it still work on the wall I'm thinking of hanging my Vera Bradley jewelry holder or toiletries holder. Does anyone know if that will work. I hate to have clutter around the room. Thanks for any help.

The walls are steel sheet like the front of your fridge. If the hooks you speak about hold 20 lbs on your fridge, they will do about the same on the wall. HOWEVER, if you approach the limit at all and they slide on the wall, you must be certain they do not scratch the paint. Such damage, if noted by ship staff, will be charged back to your account as provided in the fine print of the contract.

I think magnets are best for just a paper or two. Cabins have reasonable storage if you travel by air. I can see the need for more if you travel by car and arrive with 3 cases of clothes.

Later,

M

• 3 weeks later...

I use a pocket organizer and hang it on the hook of the bathroom door. It's perfect to keep makeup, brushes, combs, face cream, my husbands shaving equipment, etc. I get mine at Dollar Tree. There isn't a lot of counter space in a bathroom. I also use larger sized wall magnets- the walls are metal- and then I can hang my tote bag, purse, or even wet swimsuits.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching but couldn't find a exact thread on the topic. I've read a lot about using a hanging shoe organizer to store things on the door, but I'm wondering what other tips there are for general cabin organization and for maximizing storage.

Thanks!!

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

Look under the back part of the bed, most have a drawer, you can use this as storage.

• 3 years later...
My traveling companion is a little OCD, more so than me, and she is good with spreadsheets. She makes a spreadsheet or two with each day mapped out and plots ports/excursions etc. diff colors for diff days. Clipped to metal wall...VOILA! Instant organization! I have a small cheap dry erase board that has magnets on the back and we clip next to the spreadsheets and write down things we want to do the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have spreadsheets too. Itinerary with all the days and the activities with details. Clothes for all the days and nights in order. OCD overload at least it doesn't affect the rest of my life just vacation times. I love my over the door hanger it saves on counter space in the bathroom and I am thinking of an in shower hanging organizer.

Great tips everyone.

I’m gonna be real honest. While researching for my first cruise, I thought I needed all this extra stuff-over the door plastic shoe racks, etc. To be perfectly honest, we shared one window room wirh 4 people and we had more than enough room. Did not use one shoe rack or any sort of storage, there was more than enough room on the shelving in the room. And, I wore the same two sundresses/swim coverups all week! The one thing I would suggest is to get a lanyard for your seapass and to bring an extension cord/power surge to connect more devices. Also, bring more than one swimsuit. But other than that, keep it simple! Trust me, you don’t need anything extra to help organize. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Zip lock bags are the best tip I've ever gotten from here. I started using them years ago from a tip here. I use everything from snack, sandwich, gallon and 2-1/2-3 gallon ones. The small are for jewelry, the biggest are for shoes and individual outfits (shorts and a t-shirt). Not only is it a great way to pack, but it's the easiest method to unpack in the cabin and be packed to head home at the end of the cruise. A quick wipe with an antiseptic of the drawers and I toss the baggies in and i'm unpacked. Cubbies are the same. I can easily grab an outfit, head to the bathroom and I'm ready to shower or dress to head out on a tour. I put the dirty clothes in the baggy when I take the clean things out, toss them into the suitcase (stored under the bed) and by the last day of the cruise, I'm packed to go home. No over-the-door hanger has never been needed. I put my formal outfit inside a dry-cleaning bag (on the hanger) and it is put straight into the closet. If I have a few wrinkles in one of the outfits in the zip lock, I spritz it with a travel size bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release that I also take. I'll take my outfit for dinner out in the morning, let it "steam" while I take a shower, hang it in the closet and have no wrinkles when I get ready that evening. Take a few empty zip-locks for a snack that you take back to your cabin to keep it fresh. You get "chosen" for that random airport TSA bag check? They aren't handling your things. They can easily see what you have.
c

GRIFFY116...........YOU ARE MY HERO! Just sayin'