Family Trip to Bermuda 2018 - but what cruise line?

CruzinMel

I am planning a family trip to Bermuda next May/June to celebrate 1 high school graduation, 1 college graduation, 1 first year in college and 1 . . employed kid with a steady girlfriend and no kids, yay! Usually we sail on NCL, but I'm not feeling a bunch of love about the Gem based on January reviews.

What cruise line would you choose for 4 young adults, 2 middle aged parents accustomed to Norwegian's adult beverage package, and a family matriarch who refuses to consider anything less than the Haven, and will not go to anyplace "ugly" or "poor"? (I doubt we could get her on a Carnival ship, and the thought of going anywhere on a Disney ship puts me in mind of one of Dante's levels of hell.)

I am planning a family trip to Bermuda next May/June to celebrate 1 high school graduation, 1 college graduation, 1 first year in college and 1 . . employed kid with a steady girlfriend and no kids, yay! Usually we sail on NCL, but I'm not feeling a bunch of love about the Gem based on January reviews.

What cruise line would you choose for 4 young adults, 2 middle aged parents accustomed to Norwegian's adult beverage package, and a family matriarch who refuses to consider anything less than the Haven, and will not go to anyplace "ugly" or "poor"? (I doubt we could get her on a Carnival ship, and the thought of going anywhere on a Disney ship puts me in mind of one of Dante's levels of hell.)

Here are the cruise ships from the mass market cruise lines which overnight in Bermuda and their departure ports:

• NCL Escape (2 nights), NYC
  • Celebrity Summit (2 nights), Cape Liberty
  • RCI, Anthem of the Seas (1 night or 2), Cape Liberty
  • NCL Dawn (2 nights), Boston
  • RCI Grandeur of the Seas (1 night), Baltimore
  • HAL Veendam (3 nights), Boston

No Carnival cruise ship overnights during May or June.

The young adults may like the Antherm or Escape, more for them to do. You may like the Grandeur out of Baltimore since it is closest to Georgia.

Rest easy, Disney's first visit to Bermuda is not until October.

SBtS

Glory Hallelujah, no Disney!! (Not until I have grandkids, anyway.)

Unless they make more changes, NCL is making a boatload of itinerary changes, and right now the only Bermuda sailing for May 2019 is the Gem out of Boston (switching her out with the Dawn.) The kids would love Escape, but I think she's moving to another homeport. Sigh. I'll take a look at RCL - thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Glory Hallelujah, no Disney!! (Not until I have grandkids, anyway.)

Unless they make more changes, NCL is making a boatload of itinerary changes, and right now the only Bermuda sailing for May 2019 is the Gem out of Boston (switching her out with the Dawn.) The kids would love Escape, but I think she's moving to another homeport. Sigh. I'll take a look at RCL - thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

In your topic heading you said 2018. However Escape is scheduled to do New York to Bermuda round trips every week in May 2019.

Escape will visit Bermuda starting this year.

SBtS

Yes, both this year and next year. I am not sure in which year OP wants to go to Bermuda, 2018 or 2019, both years were mentioned. I can’t decipher which one from the replies but in either year Escape is scheduled to visit Bermuda in May so Escape is an option for OP.

Edited by Charles4515

While we enjoyed the Gem out of NY back in 2011, we're looking at the Escape to Bermuda in June 2019. No reason to take the Gem if you don't want to, and you still get your normal NCL perks including UDP and the Haven.

• 3 weeks later...
The major Bermuda players are Celebrity, RCCL, and NCL. You could also do HAL, which docks in Hamilton. A cruise to Bermuda is different than a cruise to the Caribbean.

We are thinking of a September Bermuda cruise....have cruised the Caribbean many times! How different will Bermuda be? What about September weather? Looking at ncl although we have never done that line.

We are thinking of a September Bermuda cruise....have cruised the Caribbean many times! How different will Bermuda be? What about September weather? Looking at ncl although we have never done that line.

Bermuda is not Caribbean. It has a unique culture. There were no indigious people living there before settlement. Bermuda is not tropical. September weather is great except that like the Caribbean, hurricane season is always an issue in September. Also since it is an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean the probability of encountering rough seas is higher than in the Caribbean Sea .

We are planning a return trip to Bermuda for May 2019 - been there multiple times, going back to college days in the late 60's, and love the island so much, it's remains a destination of choice. After looking over all the cruise options, we have decided to take the Summit, booking concierge cabins for ourselves and with friends from FL who we will joining us.

Why the Summit? First, it will be coming out of a major dry dock upgrade. The cost is more realistic than booking any Haven PH suite - we've done the Epic and Gem before - HAL's "better suites" are more expensive and do not receive positive reviews due to their dated, slightly shabby rooms. I do like the extended time HAL spends in Bermuda, and it would be an easy half hour drive into Boston to board the ship. There's something about the Dawn, not really designed for a Haven/suite and it's been sailing out of Boston far too long. We've done 11 cruises with RCI, from inside to owner's suite, no longer on our preferred list.

We're Elite + with Celebrity, so there are perks that helped sway us toward the Summit. Ultimately you have to decide what cruise line will offer something to keep everyone happy.

Darcy