review -PACIFIC PEARL 18.7.16-22.7.16

Hi,

I previously said that we would not cruise P&O unless we got a real good deal. The deal wasn't the clincher more like the girls wanting a short break contrived over too much wine.

We were lucky enough to have our embarkation changed from White Bay to Circular quay so the girls decided as we sailed on a Monday we should stay in town Sunday night. We all agreed we should stay at the Amora hotel ,which is our favourite. After a nice day/night in town we woke early had breakfast and headed to the quay to board. Boarding was smooth and quick. We quickly unpacked and went to explore the ship. I must admit that I had heard various reports about the Pearl and as I was not impressed the times we sailed on the Jewel. I really liked the ship....its easy to get around, the public areas and bars were good considering the age of the ship. Our cabin was similar to that on the Jewel...very spacious.

Like the Jewel the buffet and waterfront restaurant were small and crowded and the food in both were very poor indeed and I really do not expect excellence but do expect it to be eatable.

The drink prices were reasonable and comparable to other lines however P&O charge for everything, hot dogs hamburgers ,ice creams and a thick shake cost $9.00 which was more than a beer $5.25.....not on P&O.

Morton Island was our only stop and we loved it ...we got a perfect day weather wise. We did a helicopter ride and a quad bike adventure ....really good.

We docked White Bay and never having docked there before decided to book on board a shuttle to Central railway to catch a train home. A complete rip off at $15.00 per head and the disembarking at white bay was slow and disorganised. I blame the lack of infrastructure and isolation for that.

In conclusion I thing that if you a limited to short cruise due work commitments or to test cruising then yep it works despite the P&O charging you for every thing.

We loved the old Pearl and enjoyed the cruise but if you think because its a short cruise I it will be cheaper then thing again.

Thanks for posting. We embark on the Pacific Pearl tomorrow, for a 12 day cruise to the islands to escape some of this cold Melbourne weather. Looking forward to it.

We leave from White Bay, but come back to Circular Quay. So a taxi from the airport, but a train back. We have been on the Pacific Dawn and the Pacific Jewell a couple of times, so expect things to be similar to that.

Hi Col, the Pearl was a ship I always wanted to try re it's history, but the P&O product doesnt attract us anymore for the reasons you state.

Anyway, a getaway is a getaway but like you say, the extras that you get on other cruiselines add up on P&O

Big hi to the lovely Di:)

I did a short cruise on the Pearl despite always saying "Never" it was a school holiday cruise to Moreton Island on July 11th. I took my 7 year old granddaughter and we had a mini suite at a very good price.

Priority embarkation at White Bay had us on board first. On the plus side - great kids club and family activities kept us busy and happy. I liked the way the youth team arranged craft and other activities that we could do together and the children's evening parties were the same themes as the adult parties later - so Bianco and Gatsby parties for the littlies. Our mini suite was a comfortable haven - beautifully maintained and spacious. I enjoyed a quiet read or doing some work while little one went to kids club. We enjoyed our day on Moreton Island.

Downsides - P and O is what it is. Buffet was small and crowded and the food was just OK (seemed to go down well with the numerous families on board) We did not go to the dining room as I heard service was slow and food not really kid friendly. The extras could easily have added up very quickly but Miss 7 was very happy with all that was available and so our bill was small - no alcohol this cruise since I was taking care of such an important person!!

The Pearl is nice. Very well maintained. Small enough for us to get around quickly between activities and take the stairs all the time.

Would I do it again? In similar circumstances Yes. With DH - NO!- we know what we like and it is a bit different to the P and O experience.