Pets on cruises?

Are there any cruise lines that allow non service dogs on board. I would love to cruise lots more but I am not willing to leave my very well behaved small dog behind longer then I have to. I am getting ready for our second cruise this year and it is such a downer that she has to stay behind. I may have to give up cruising for a vacation where she can come along...

The only one I know of is Cunard and that is only on the Queen Mary 2 which has kennels. They accept cats and dogs. The cost is almost as much as for humans. The animals must stay one the deck where the kennels are located (not allowed to roam the ship) but the owners may come and see them.

We had the same issue with our now dearly departed dog. We finally gave up cruising and bought a giant RV so she could travel with us. We all loved it!

We'll be rescuing another dog from a shelter next year after we retire, and then we'll travel the country. Can't wait!

My husband has a service dog. Trust me it is very stressful for the dog. There is a lot of red tape to get them off into foreign countries, and you are exposing them to a lot of stray animals/ diseases in foreign countries... it's a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cunard only on TAs and only in cargo( you can visit)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not in Cargo at all...in nice kennels on an upper.deck. They sell.out fast. Dogs get 1 space, cats get 2 spots, 1.for their potty.

Owners can visit often, no non-owners are allowed...

Sent from the cat's Galaxy S8

Are there any cruise lines that allow non service dogs on board. I would love to cruise lots more but I am not willing to leave my very well behaved small dog behind longer then I have to. I am getting ready for our second cruise this year and it is such a downer that she has to stay behind. I may have to give up cruising for a vacation where she can come along...

Yup, cruising is not a vacation where you can take your dog. As has been posted, Cunard has kennels available on TA crossings, but I understand there's s waiting list, and the pets are in a staffed kennel, not with you. Good for people who are moving across the Atlantic, but it's not a vacation.

When you really think about it, it's not only a good policy for the animals, it's a good policy for the other guests. It's a good policy for the room stewards. It's a good policy for the guests who have your stateroom for the next cruise. I simply would not cruise a line that allowed Fidos and Fluffys out and about - nor would many others.

Good grief, I hope that is never allowed. I have nothing against pet family members in an appropriate environment, but a cruise ship with little ankle biters running around yapping and barking is something I would never want to see or hear. I don't want my peaceful ship time disturbed.

We have great friends who like to cruise and we don't cruise together, but our pups get sleepovers at each other's homes while the other cruises. Works very well for both of our dogs and all of us! The dogs love their "other" home when we cruise and we get some time not to worry about how to take them out to potty. Can't even imagine how that would even begin to work on a cruise. We also traveled in an RV for years with our pup. Worked great, but I hate traveling on the roads anymore with crazy drivers that don't pay attention because something on their phone is more important. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you really think about it, it's not only a good policy for the animals, it's a good policy for the other guests. It's a good policy for the room stewards. It's a good policy for the guests who have your stateroom for the next cruise. I simply would not cruise a line that allowed Fidos and Fluffys out and about - nor would many others.

Yes, I agree. We don't even stay in "pet friendly" hotels. Very easy to pick up flea's and ticks.....and that smell!!! Taking pets on a cruise, IMO, is really just a selfish move. The pets have no concept of time and will not miss you the way you miss them....just like when you get home from work and they go nuts at the door because you are home. Same for vacations. Nuts at the door when you get home, but then back to normal a couple of moments later, never even realizing you have been missing for a week.

Edited by champagne123

I am a pet lover myself but certainly hope that non-service pets would never be allowed on board a cruise ship. It would be extremely unfair to the general cruising public for a few passengers to subject everyone else to their pets on a vacation. Just because you love your pet and want them with you doesn't mean everyone else does. I for one would find it extremely annoying to have to share my space on a cruise ship during my vacation with someone else's pet. Not to mention the potential issues with pets interacting with each other.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I do road trips during the summer and I take my dog. I alway stay in pet friendly hotels and only rent houses that accept dogs and are aware that Sadie is coming (she even has references from houses that I've rented). No ticks, no fleas and she gets groomed every other week, so no smell. So, I obviously don't have an issue traveling with my dog, but I would never take her on a cruise, not only for her sanity, but for other passengers' sanity. She is 80 pounds of "please be my friend".

I don't have a dog, but I for sure love dogs. But I don't think they belong everywhere. I see people dragging their poor dogs along into all kinds of situations that they shouldn't. I know you love your dog, mean well, and I'm sure your dog's very well behaved, but for the sake of the dog and the other passengers your nice dog shouldn't cruise.

Just imagine being on a 6000 passenger ship with 6000 passengers and 5000 dogs, cats, birds, pigs, snakes, etc. Even dog lovers (which does include me) can easily understand that this would not be a good thing.

Hank

Just imagine being on a 6000 passenger ship with 6000 passengers and 5000 dogs, cats, birds, pigs, snakes, etc. Even dog lovers (which does include me) can easily understand that this would not be a good thing.

Hank

Hank, if the dog lovers can bring their dog on cruise I'm bringing my Fluffy.

She is 550 pounds of 'please be my meal'. :D

e0f0a02f-30cc-457f-b663-d3fa7a3a00bd.jpg.5e25a19ac3451dd80d7c77d49f5b64d6.jpg

Others may disagree but, IMO, kind of selfish to subject that dog to the stresses of a cruise ship just to appease your needs.

I see no valid reason why we should have to deal with your so called "well behaved" dog while we are trying to enjoy our cruise. Your dependency on your pet is your problem, not ours. If you can't stand to be apart, then don't choose a cruise. We have a wonderful, affectionate cat that has been with us for 15 years. Yes, I dread leaving her behind. But, no way would I ever force everyone else to deal with my pet just to avoid my sadness at leaving her behind. And yes, everyone else would be forced to deal with her every time I might take her out into public spaces, whether they wanted to or not.

When I was eight years old, I was attacked by a female dog who had just had puppies. I was riding my bicycle through our neighborhood with my brother and mother right behind me. The dog apparently saw us as a threat - we were in the street and she was in the house - and when the owner opened the door, the dog ran out and attacked me since I was closest to the curb. I missed being bitten by inches as I jumped off my bike - which was damaged in the altercation. Equally bad, the owner made no apology, instead blaming us for exciting her dog. Seriously, we were just riding our bikes on a public street past her house, but somehow it was our fault!!!! This was before the litigation obsessed society we now have become, so we did not even think to sue these miserable people and their out of control animal.

To this day I can't stand dogs. And the same applies to obsessed dog owners who insist on taking their pets everywhere with no regard to how it may affect the people around them.

So leave the "well behaved" dog home or stop cruising. Either solution works for me. He doesn't belong on a ship where there are people like me who do not want to cruise w your pet and can't get away from the thing if you are allowed to bring it on board. When cruise lines start to allow pets on board, I either stop cruising or bring my comfort pet lion which has been trained to eat small dogs.

I happen to like snakes and have never been afraid of them. When I was about 10, my parents took us to Florida and we visited a reptile park. I remember having a very large snake draped around my shoulders. I have seen people out walking with large snakes on them. What would you and the other dog lovers if I insisted on bringing a 10 foot snake on board with me?

I do volunteer work at the information desk at a National Park. We do not allow animals into the Visitor Center. You have no idea how many yapping "service chihuahuas" there are who are brought into the Visitor Center in little baby strollers. Disgusting!!

DON

I do volunteer work at the information desk at a National Park. We do not allow animals into the Visitor Center. You have no idea how many yapping "service chihuahuas" there are who are brought into the Visitor Center in little baby strollers. Disgusting!!

DON

I never understand lying about a dog being a service dog to take them were dogs are not allowed. I only take Sadie where she is welcomed (she has never been in a restaurant, airport or any other public place that doesn't allow dogs), but it is amazing how many times I see a person with a dog in a restaurant, letting them sit on the chairs and feeding them from a table. I will usually say something to the Manager and ask that they read the ADA rules and regulations about service dogs and to know the difference between emotional support dogs, which are not allowed in public places, and service dogs. And don't get me started on folks dressing their dogs in clothing!!!

Not a fan of strange dogs. A friend was just out for his daily walk and was bitten by a dog which was unleashed. The owner and the dog took off. My friend has health issues and had to spend 2 days at the hospital because of med interactions. He also had to endure rabbis shot.

No I don't want cruise lines to allow dogs, cats or even snakes.