where do the empty ships go during hurricanes?

oatbagg1

I recently did the "Behind The Scenes" tour while on the Radiance last month. We were told and also shown that they are always stocked for 10 days or more in the event of an emergency.

Six or seven years ago while on the Allure, a hurricane came through. We were due back on a Saturday but spent Sunday and Monday cruising along Cuba. There was plenty of food, although not as much fruit or salad fixings.

Karen

So any clue where that ship will go?? Will they stay in port with the employees?? Or take off away from the storm??

It will be interesting to follow their path over the next few days. I doubt very much they'd stay in port - too dangerous.

The Weather Channel was just reporting from Miami and I saw what looked to be the Enchantment in the background.

Majesty and Enchantment are coming in early, letting passengers off and have their next cruises cancelled. Empress is also cancelled for their next cruise. At least two of those ships will be without passengers, though one post says B2Bers are allowed to stay.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't read this entire thread or searched every message, but I've heard that Enchantment will be loading up with Royal crew and families and heading out to sea. I heard it on Facebook, the home of Fake news. True?

If they can't get a safe distance away. They will locate a spot with deep water and ride it out there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They can very easily get a safe distance away from Florida. Either southwest into the Gulf of Mexico or a few hundred miles east of the Bahamas.

Just got off Enchantment today. The crew was amazing! A shortened cruise and cancelled ports doesn't make them happy either - they did everything they could to keep the passengers happy. This was a less than ideal situation for everyone but we knew we were booking a cruise during hurricane season. The folks at guest services were wonderful - there was a line literally 24 hours a day after the announcements were made and there was always someone there to help. Passengers were angry, frustrated, scared and some were crying but the crew did everything they could to help. Fun fact - Super Mario was on this sailing. Yes, they will board RCL employees and their families tomorrow to shelter them during the storm. Then she will sail to Coco Cay to pick up those employees and their families as well then head to calm waters until it's safe to bring everyone back. She goes into drydock in November for a little facelift. I would definitely sail her again. :D

At what point do these ships having "extended itineraries" start running low on supplies? Food, drinks, other supplies?

I am currently sailing on the Oasis and I noticed yesterday that maintenance was testing out the crane on top of the ship adjacent to the pools for operation. My first thought was this could be used to hoist pallets of provisions from another ship of needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am currently sailing on the Oasis and I noticed yesterday that maintenance was testing out the crane on top of the ship adjacent to the pools for operation. My first thought was this could be used to hoist pallets of provisions from another ship of needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most likely merely the day that the planned maintenance schedule called for testing/service of the crane. Those are very short reach and short depth cranes for use on the pool deck for things like awning repairs. Given sufficient fendering between ships to prevent the superstructures from colliding in even relatively calm waters, there is no way those cranes would be of any use. And the mere possibility of a "supply" ship rolling into a bunch of balconies on Oasis is what makes this an idea that virtually no one in the maritime industry would even consider.

As was done for Harvey, if the ship needs food, but more importantly fuel, due to missed scheduled debarkation, they will divert the ship to a port for replenishment. Underway replenishment is one of the most dangerous maneuvers at sea, and even those Naval forces that utilize it require many hours of training and still there are accidents.

While there may be shortages of certain fresh produce after about 10 days if the ship was scheduled for a 7 day cruise, there will be plenty of staples and protein, and the bakery can continue to produce.

On Allure now. Heard RCI is offering all their land-based employees from Miami who will be effected spots on one of the ships with cancelled voyages to ensure they are out of harm's way.

Looking at Marine traffic.com it looks like Majesty is headed toward Miami, possibly to join Enchantment?

As was done for Harvey, if the ship needs food, but more importantly fuel, due to missed scheduled debarkation,.

Speaking of fuel, that is another thing to make me think of St Martin. So many ships lines use St Martin for refueling as well.

Speaking of fuel, that is another thing to make me think of St Martin. So many ships lines use St Martin for refueling as well.

There is no refinery on Sint Maarten, the ships use this port to bunker due to the good rates they get on fuel from the Curacao refinery (since both are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands), which is shipped in. Aruba (also a part of the Kingdom) also has a major refinery, and the St. Croix refinery, as far as I know, is only a storage facility now. Devastation of Sint Maarten will only result in ships having to pay a higher price for fuel elsewhere, even if it is delivered from Curacao to different island ports. The bunker barges will move to where there is oil storage and the demand for bunkering ships. Ships don't need to fuel in Sint Maarten, they just do so for economic reasons.

Makes sense.

Since I posted that, Majesty appears to have passed (barely) the port entrance. Maybe she will wait till Enchantment leaves? I thought I heard Enchantment was leaving at 9am, but I don't see any sign of movement anywhere on the ship.

Check out that Marine Traffic. Zoom way out from MIA and you can sea 100's of boats and ships headed south west towards the Gulf and Mexico. From a distance it looks like a large school of fish!

Rick

I'm now guessing that is where Majesty is headed. I know her 9/11 charter was canceled.

Since I posted that, Majesty appears to have passed (barely) the port entrance. Maybe she will wait till Enchantment leaves? I thought I heard Enchantment was leaving at 9am, but I don't see any sign of movement anywhere on the ship.

Oddly enough on marine traffic shows Majesty's destination as PCN, which I thought might mean Port Canaveral and it just hasn't been updated, but according to their own website PCN is Port Clinton, Ohio which is only about 100 miles from me. I could go up there and spend the weekend on the ship and stay on for my 9/18 cruise!

I'm guessing they meant PCV