Has anyone stayed at the W Hotel on Brickell

oceansandseas

-

We usually fly from Toronto to Miami 2 days before our cruise. Like staying at Hampton by airport, but thought we could stay downtown this year. Our daughter always bids on Priceline and gets a good hotel when going places in the US. She is always saying that I should try it.

This year I did and asked for 5 star downtown. I was given the W Hotel. Fairly good price, but after reading all of the reviews about this hotel, I am wondering if this was a good decision. Seems like the pool is under construction. We were looking forward to spending time at the pool before our cruise. No breakfast like at the Hampton and does not seem to have places around to get a breakfast. I know the hotel has a restaurant, but any time we have eaten at a restaurant at a hotel it has been overpriced and not that good. I am worried that we will not like it. Reviews are bad.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel or heard of it. It used to be the Viceroy.

-

I am familiar with the hotel when it was the Viceroy.

NIce location.

I too have read the reviews and as many have said it is not your typical W hotel. With so many other hotels in the downtown area I would look at others.

This is a list of hotels that I often recommend. They range in price.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

I am familiar with the hotel when it was the Viceroy.

NIce location.

I too have read the reviews and as many have said it is not your typical W hotel. With so many other hotels in the downtown area I would look at others.

This is a list of hotels that I often recommend. They range in price.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Keith's post is great as usual!!

East Hotel is great hotel and is right in Brickell Citi Centre. Also wanted to all Atton Brickell and SLS as other solid choices here in Brickell. Hyatt Centric will be opening in a few months as well. (Right next to the JW Marriott.)

Just in case anyone is looking or it matters if your insurance doesn't cover CVS, the pharmacy that Keith mentions near the Publix is actually a Walgreens.

-

We usually fly from Toronto to Miami 2 days before our cruise. Like staying at Hampton by airport, but thought we could stay downtown this year. Our daughter always bids on Priceline and gets a good hotel when going places in the US. She is always saying that I should try it.

This year I did and asked for 5 star downtown. I was given the W Hotel. Fairly good price, but after reading all of the reviews about this hotel, I am wondering if this was a good decision. Seems like the pool is under construction. We were looking forward to spending time at the pool before our cruise. No breakfast like at the Hampton and does not seem to have places around to get a breakfast. I know the hotel has a restaurant, but any time we have eaten at a restaurant at a hotel it has been overpriced and not that good. I am worried that we will not like it. Reviews are bad.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel or heard of it. It used to be the Viceroy.

-

There have been some hiccups going from the Viceroy to the W but there are still some good reviews of the hotel. It's been over 5 years since I have been in the hotel rooms but do have friends that live in the Icon Towers.

The large pool deck has been closed for a year and should be opening in a few months. They had another slight delay from Hurricane irma damage. This is the pool that belongs to the entire Icon complex which is mainly condos. The hotel just happens to be in one of the Towers.

The small rooftop pool up on the 50th floor is open however for hotel guests so you will have a pool to sit near. It is small and has about 10-12 lounge chairs.

There are plenty of places around to get breakfast all within a short walk on Brickell Ave. Even Whole Foods is right over the bridge and behind the Marriott Marquis. Here is one that is just about across the street from the W and they even deliver and are really good!!

http://www.bbistromiami.com

Since you are so unhappy and the pool is closed, perhaps try calling Priceline and discussing how it's not a 5 star hotel without having a pool.

-

Yes Carolyn, Keith is very familiar with Miami hotels because he has taken so many cruises from Miami. I recognize Keith even though I cruise with Oceania and he has his own favourite cruise line.

Keith, you have given lots of information and I will bookmark it for our 2019 winter cruise. I hope others also read it and remember it for when they are staying in Miami. However, the W hotel is booked and paid for and I can not cancel it. Just read the not-so-good reviews after. As long as it is clean and the linens are fresh, it will be ok.

Carolyn, after booking I went to google maps and "put the yellow man out on the street" and went towards Brickell Village. I am glad that you mentioned that Whole Foods was just across the river. Went looking again and found it quite easily. I went to their web page and it looks good. I will go there. Also B Bistro across the street. I have never been to a bakery that sold beer (which I do not drink).

Thank you Keith and Carolyn for helping. We have cruised from Miami often, but we always stayed at a hotel near the airport. This is the first time exploring downtown Miami.

-

-

Yes Carolyn, Keith is very familiar with Miami hotels because he has taken so many cruises from Miami. I recognize Keith even though I cruise with Oceania and he has his own favourite cruise line.

Keith, you have given lots of information and I will bookmark it for our 2019 winter cruise. I hope others also read it and remember it for when they are staying in Miami. However, the W hotel is booked and paid for and I can not cancel it. Just read the not-so-good reviews after. As long as it is clean and the linens are fresh, it will be ok.

Carolyn, after booking I went to google maps and "put the yellow man out on the street" and went towards Brickell Village. I am glad that you mentioned that Whole Foods was just across the river. Went looking again and found it quite easily. I went to their web page and it looks good. I will go there. Also B Bistro across the street. I have never been to a bakery that sold beer (which I do not drink).

Thank you Keith and Carolyn for helping. We have cruised from Miami often, but we always stayed at a hotel near the airport. This is the first time exploring downtown Miami.

-

You will enjoy the area. The reason B Bistro has the beer is because it's a bakery/restaurant! People will go and sit for lunch.

Other new hotels in the area are SLS and Atton Brickell. Both great hotels.

By the time 2019 rolls around you will have so many more options for hotels in the area. A Hyatt Centric which will be located on Brickell in the Panorama Building (Brickell Bay Drive will be the entrance) right next door to the JW Marriott will be opening in the Spring 2018, perhaps earlier. Some damage from Hurricane Irma has delayed a few things there.

2 Wyndhams products are being built and will be across from Mary Brickell Village. It will be a Wyndham Grand and and a Tryp combined.

Perricones won't be here and another hotel will be being built on it's property. However, a Perricones will be a part of it somehow!!

I'm not quite sure how much more Brickell can take! They are now in hostel negotiations to knock down one of the small co-ops here and built yet another high building with a helipad. Two mega tall buildings are going to start sometime in 2018/19 right on the water slightly south of the JW Marriott. The building a few down from the Conrad has been sold and will be yet another sky tall building!

Yes, the reviews have been so-so but I think that is more because it is not up to standard like a typical W yet, and the pool construction issue. The location is fantastic and your options for dinning are endless. The B Bistro is fantastic. Its a great area you are staying in right in the middle of it all and close to pretty much everything. You can also walk over to the metromover (its free) and use it to get around Downtown and Brickell.