Hawaii Cruise Lens Recommendation

kbnovak

We will be cruising on NCL's Pride of America in a few weeks and was wondering what would be a good lens choice for shooting the lava flows of Na Pali. Do you pass close enough that a 24-120 would be suitable on a full-frame, or should I think about taking something longer as well?

Thanks.

Kevin

Do you pass close enough that a 24-120 would be suitable on a full-frame, or should I think about taking something longer as well? Thanks. Kevin

Definitely longer. You might also consider taking a boat trip to see the lava flow into the ocean. Those boats get close - I thin 100 or so yards from the flow. Dave Pierce has photos on his website

The only real way to get close shots is by small boat charter, the hiking tour is very rugged and very long and the shots still need a good telephoto. but on land I never took off my 18-105 its was the perfect size.

Aloha

John

I was on a land vacation in HI in June and only brought 2 lenses, the 24-120 and a 24 f2.8. (only used the 24 prime when at the visitor center at Mauna Kea for milky way shots. Everything else was with the 24-120. (I use a D610 body). If you want to see lava either take a helicopter tour form Hilo or an small boat tour. I did a helo tour (doors off) and got some good shots.

I took a boat tour out of the Hilo area with Lava Ocean. Their tour boat is a 1000 hp aluminum rocket sled built specifically for the lava tours.

I used an 18-105 f/4 lens on my A6300 (24-150 full-frame equivalent) but very few shot at 105mm since the boat gets CLOSE. We were inside the breakwater (stabilization is a real asset) and close enough to feel the heat from the lava like standing in front of an open barbeque. They even dipped a bucket in the water and measured it at 120° F.

Images here: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/lava

It cost $250 and was worth every penny to me.

This would be your view from the cruise ship at 1 mile

p177425490-5.jpg

This is what the tour boat delivered

p459629026-5.jpg

p508526938-5.jpg

p255089371-5.jpg

Dave