Train or coach from London to Southampton?

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:30 AM.
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We have 2 nights booked at the Holiday Inn in Southampton prior to our cruise in May, so arrival times aren't an issue, but just wondering what would be the best way of getting to Southampton. I had a look online at trains for the day we're travelling and its 71 pounds for the 2 tickets, this is 4 months in advance, seems quite expensive for like a 90min trip. Do the prices go up a lot closer to the time? Is it easier and a lot cheaper getting a coach, we're staying in Paddington, so presume we'd just have to get to Victoria. thanks for any help
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Avalon Panorama, Magnificent Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam August 15 -29th 2012
Avalon Scenery, Grand France , Cote D'Azur to Paris, 30th June - 8th July 2014
Avalon Creativity, Grand France, Paris-Normandy Beaches-Paris, 8th - 15th July 2014
HAL Oosterdam, Mediterranean Dream , Venice to Rome , 17th -29th June 2016
P&O Adonia, France and Spain, 3rd June - 19th June 2018 CANCELLED(SHIP SOLD)
P&O Arcadia Spain, Italy & Monaco - 28th May -14th June 2018
Chesterfield
900 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Advance train tickets only become available 12 weeks before departure date and generally depart from London Waterloo or Victoria.Its usually cheaper to travel after 9 30am. It can be cheaper getting the coach (National Express) but we managed to get advance singles from London to Southampton for £5 each for our forthcoming cruise (though that was with a railcard so add on a third without)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
Lancashire... UK
1,007 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi....I always prefer train travel and as ann141 said Advance ticket pricing becomes available 12 weeks before. The only point that would concern me is that there seems to be a lot of rail disruption at the moment....we have had 3 days of strikes this week ...so at this moment I would lean towards National Express for reliability.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oceana Caribbean Dec 2010
Princess Star Mediterranean Sept 2011
P&O Azura Caribbean Dec 2011
RCI IOTS Canaries April 2012
Princess Caribbean Round Britain May 2012
P&O Oceana Canaries Nov 20112
Celebrity Infinity Norway & Fjords May 213
Princess Crown Mediterranean July 2013
P&O Ventura Mediterranean Oct 2013
Thomson Spirit Ireland May 2014
MSC Magnifica Northern Cities Sept 2014
MSC Splendida Northern Cities Sep 2016
P&O Azura Fjords Sept 2017
P&O Azura Spain,Portugal & France April 2018
Thomson Discovery European Experience Sept 2018
P&O Azura Fjords April 2019
P&O Ventura Spanish Cities & Portugal Sept 2019
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by ann141
Advance train tickets only become available 12 weeks before departure date and generally depart from London Waterloo or Victoria.Its usually cheaper to travel after 9 30am. It can be cheaper getting the coach (National Express) but we managed to get advance singles from London to Southampton for £5 each for our forthcoming cruise (though that was with a railcard so add on a third without)
Thanks so much, so I need to check back again at the end of February, but I'll check the coach at that time too :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Avalon Creativity, Grand France, Paris-Normandy Beaches-Paris, 8th - 15th July 2014
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by janny444
Hi....I always prefer train travel and as ann141 said Advance ticket pricing becomes available 12 weeks before. The only point that would concern me is that there seems to be a lot of rail disruption at the moment....we have had 3 days of strikes this week ...so at this moment I would lean towards National Express for reliability.
Thanks, I always like going by train, as its something that I don't have at home here, but might be a bit of a worry if there's strikes. :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lancashire, UK
195 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
If you have a look at times and prices via Trainline, there should be a link you can sign up to which will email you when the advance fares are available. You might have to do a dummy booking to get it though!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EB (previously Bisphambelle)
UK
120 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
I would urge caution about using rail if you have a lot of luggage. The trains to Southampton are designed as commuter trains with very limited storage capacity for cases ie there is no dedicated luggage areas at the end of the carriages. Think less overhead space than on a plane. You could put them on spare seats and hope the train doesn't get busy which should be ok unless travelling in peak rush hour. Just a thought
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by insanemagnet
There is also significant engineering works taking place at the weekend resulting in a bus replacement service for part of the journey.
Thanks, hopefully that will all be finished by May :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by elmsliebev
If you have a look at times and prices via Trainline, there should be a link you can sign up to which will email you when the advance fares are available. You might have to do a dummy booking to get it though!
Thanks, good advice, I've just done that now
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by chrisg1uk
I would urge caution about using rail if you have a lot of luggage. The trains to Southampton are designed as commuter trains with very limited storage capacity for cases ie there is no dedicated luggage areas at the end of the carriages. Think less overhead space than on a plane. You could put them on spare seats and hope the train doesn't get busy which should be ok unless travelling in peak rush hour. Just a thought
Thanks, we'll only have one case each, coming from Australia we don't have the luxury of being able to bring a lot of luggage . We definitely wont be travelling in peak times, so hopefully we'll be ok, but we'll look at the coach options too, this may work out better for us
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mississauga, Canada
1,450 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Until recently, there were few reduced fares on the fast trains (1 1/4 hours) between London Waterloo and Southampton. The new operator, South Western Railway, has more deals than the previous operator. I checked a day at random and there were trains with standard fares of £11.60 and first class was only £19.10.

A cheaper alternative is to take Southern Railway from London Victoria. There is hourly service of a through train and fares as low as £5 are not hard to find. The downside is the trains are local (about 15 stops) and take well over two hours. Luggage space is even harder to find than on South Western.
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by david,Mississauga
Until recently, there were few reduced fares on the fast trains (1 1/4 hours) between London Waterloo and Southampton. The new operator, South Western Railway, has more deals than the previous operator. I checked a day at random and there were trains with standard fares of £11.60 and first class was only £19.10.

A cheaper alternative is to take Southern Railway from London Victoria. There is hourly service of a through train and fares as low as £5 are not hard to find. The downside is the trains are local (about 15 stops) and take well over two hours. Luggage space is even harder to find than on South Western.
Thanks for the information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lancashire... UK
1,007 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by tassietravellers
Thanks, hopefully that will all be finished by May :-)

Hi....unfortunately these strikes...rail disruptions have been going on for quite some time...months & months maybe even stretching into more than a year....at least... so I wouldn't bank on it all being sorted for May. Just another point up here where we live one rail strike was on for two consecutive days
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oceana Caribbean Dec 2010
Princess Star Mediterranean Sept 2011
P&O Azura Caribbean Dec 2011
RCI IOTS Canaries April 2012
Princess Caribbean Round Britain May 2012
P&O Oceana Canaries Nov 20112
Celebrity Infinity Norway & Fjords May 213
Princess Crown Mediterranean July 2013
P&O Ventura Mediterranean Oct 2013
Thomson Spirit Ireland May 2014
MSC Magnifica Northern Cities Sept 2014
MSC Splendida Northern Cities Sep 2016
P&O Azura Fjords Sept 2017
P&O Azura Spain,Portugal & France April 2018
Thomson Discovery European Experience Sept 2018
P&O Azura Fjords April 2019
P&O Ventura Spanish Cities & Portugal Sept 2019
norwich uk
202 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
would love to travel down by train instead of driving but coming from Norwich even the advanced fares are more expensive than staying in a cruise and park hotel in Southampton. Plus the hassle of changing in London is so horrible. Hate the drive down but living where we do we seem to be doomed to bad roads and trains.
Louisville, KY
106 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
In September of last year we stayed several days near Victoria Station (within walking distance of the bus station). I purchased bus ticket to South Hampton about 2-3 months prior to my trip costing less than $7 USD/pp. it was a very pleasant ride with only one stop that allowed a few passengers to get off. After arriving at the bus station in SH, we walked across street to large grocery store to purchase our wine. Walked Back across street to bus station and Cabs were available to take us to ship. I think the cab fee was about 7 pounds. I would definitely take the bus again. So easy and so inexpensive. On a side note victoria Train station is about 3 or 4 blocks from Victoria Bus Station. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by DJG1
In September of last year we stayed several days near Victoria Station (within walking distance of the bus station). I purchased bus ticket to South Hampton about 2-3 months prior to my trip costing less than $7 USD/pp. it was a very pleasant ride with only one stop that allowed a few passengers to get off. After arriving at the bus station in SH, we walked across street to large grocery store to purchase our wine. Walked Back across street to bus station and Cabs were available to take us to ship. I think the cab fee was about 7 pounds. I would definitely take the bus again. So easy and so inexpensive. On a side note victoria Train station is about 3 or 4 blocks from Victoria Bus Station. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks so much, very helpful. I will check back with the bus and train sites in a couple of months, sounds very doable :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern Ireland
229 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I've booked two return tickets on National Express Coach for next month from Heathrow for £57 for both of us. I find it easier than trains where you have to watch your luggage all the time and as previous posters have said chances of a strike or maintenance on the line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

30 April 2018 - Celebrity Silhouette - Norwegian Fjords
13 April 2018 - P&O Azura - Western Mediterranean
June 2017-Celebrity Reflection-Italy & Greek Islands
August 2016-Celebrity Eclipse-Scandinavia & Baltics
July 2010 - Nile River Cruise
Tasmania, Australia
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by purdo
I've booked two return tickets on National Express Coach for next month from Heathrow for £57 for both of us. I find it easier than trains where you have to watch your luggage all the time and as previous posters have said chances of a strike or maintenance on the line.
Thank you, I've just checked for the date we want and its only 17.40 pounds for 2 tickets one way, it would have been about 40 pounds each one way on the train. I'll book tonight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,513 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by tassietravellers
Thank you, I've just checked for the date we want and its only 17.40 pounds for 2 tickets one way, it would have been about 40 pounds each one way on the train. I'll book tonight.
That sounds like full price tickets on the train. I assume you are aware the cheaper Advance tickets only appear 10 to 12 weeks before travel.