Canary Island Excursions

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:33 AM.
1,331 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
As a ling time visitor to Lanzarote, I must say that I quite like Arrecife. A proper working Spanish town, without loads of shops selling the usual tourist 'tat', no bars offering cheap beer and all day breakfasts etc. There are some decent restaurants and bars, where you will be expected to speak Spanish, and everywhere [more or less] closes for siesta.
Like most smaller cruise ports, the whole ambiance of the place changes when 3000+ cruisers descend on the place, so we make sure not to visit when any cruise liner is in port.
Scotland
1,050 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by wowzz
As a ling time visitor to Lanzarote, I must say that I quite like Arrecife. A proper working Spanish town, without loads of shops selling the usual tourist 'tat', no bars offering cheap beer and all day breakfasts etc. There are some decent restaurants and bars, where you will be expected to speak Spanish, and everywhere [more or less] closes for siesta.
Like most smaller cruise ports, the whole ambiance of the place changes when 3000+ cruisers descend on the place, so we make sure not to visit when any cruise liner is in port.
We stayed for a fortnight in Arrecife last year and it is indeed completely different when the ships are in. Gaggles of tourists talking loudly in English (or German). I actually sometimes feel guilty that at other times and in other ports I am part of the throng

We found many good restaurants for lunch and the food in the hotel was excellent as well. Lovely island with really friendly people.
1,331 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
We stayed for a fortnight in Arrecife last year and it is indeed completely different when the ships are in. Gaggles of tourists talking loudly in English (or German). I actually sometimes feel guilty that at other times and in other ports I am part of the throng

We found many good restaurants for lunch and the food in the hotel was excellent as well. Lovely island with really friendly people.
Glad that I am not alone in my opinion!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
London, England
3,812 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Freeman3030
I'm glad you think it's worth it and will certainly visit it! Having pondered on it a bit since posting, I've thought about trying to hire a car to drive there and it'll also give us some flexibility to have a look around the island by car which would be quite nice! The next problem i'm faced with is finding a reliable car hire company.
Have a look at CICAR they are one of the most reliable car hire companies in the Canaries. They have offices at all the ports.

Car hire and petrol costs are reasonable in the Canaries.
1,331 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by LondonTowner
Have a look at CICAR they are one of the most reliable car hire companies in the Canaries. They have offices at all the ports.

Car hire and petrol costs are reasonable in the Canaries.
Make sure you avoid Goldcar at all costs. Do not book your car through a broker. If you go on the Lanzarote forum you will find lots of recommendations.

London, England
3,812 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
wowzz

CICAR are not a broker, they are a reputable, well established company in the Canary Islands. There are hundreds of favourable reviews about them on Tripadvisor.

In recent years I have hired cars from them myself, but remember them from when I lived in the Canaries and they have always been an excellent company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
1,331 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by LondonTowner
wowzz

CICAR are not a broker, they are a reputable, well established company in the Canary Islands. There are hundreds of favourable reviews about them on Tripadvisor.

In recent years I have hired cars from them myself, but remember them from when I lived in the Canaries and they have always been an excellent company.

Sorry - I know that CICAR are not a broker. I was trying to say that one should always book direct, through someone such as CICAR, and not through a broker.

London, England
3,812 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by wowzz
Sorry - I know that CICAR are not a broker. I was trying to say that one should always book direct, through someone such as CICAR, and not through a broker.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying they are a broker.
London, England
3,812 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Wowzz

I wrote a reply but it seems to have disappeared. I was apologising as I thought you were saying CICAR are a broker - sorry.

Yorkshire
431 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I too would recommend CICAR, however unfortunately while at the top of Mount Tiede a BRAKE warning light came on our rental car, they told me to bring it back and their mechanic would check it out. That was the most worrying car drive I have ever had!