Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:53 PM.
6,056 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Catherine Claus
/interestsing, I have read on CC that a guest on a VBE is allowed to bring on a bottle of wine, Yet when I asked (today) I was told no wine, no balloons, nothing may be brought on the ship???? Is the Princess Rep correct or is the CC poster correct.??? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this as we depart on Feb 4.
I recall the discussion about this. There were several posters who were adamant that their
guests had brought on wine during a BVE, THEREFORE IT WAS ALLOWED.

One even called princess (I don't know how many times it took) -- and got an answer they liked.

Of course, another poster reported calling princess and hearing: "What's a BVE?"

So, calling princess is like new england weather -- just wait a minute and it will change.

No one has ever posted a written policy.

I read no balloons, too -- but did take some on board once. The world did not end.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by pablo222
I read no balloons, too -- but did take some on board once. The world did not end.
Now you've piqued my interest. What's with "no balloons"?
Are you saying that you're not allowed to bring balloons aboard the ship?

I just read the previous comment about balloons- totally ridiculous.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
6 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Thanks for the replies.

If we need to hand over the alcohol we will of course do so. If it is returned on the final night of the cruise we will be getting it back 24 hours later, which seems like a fairly pointless exercise, but we will absolutely comply with the rules set.
Gold Coast Australia
212 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by gerelmx
All alcohol purchase on port of call is confiscated when returning to the cruise and will be returned last night of the sailing.
Didn't happen in my recent experience on the Royal. We often bought a small bottle of wine (Moscato which the ship had run out of) to drink on the balcony at various ports and put it on the scanner when we returned. Quite often it was in an almost clear bag and our attitude was if they take then our bad luck, but we never tried to camouflage/hide it. It was never taken.
Princess shouldn't have worried as they still got $1800 of drinks out of us.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Becstar101
Thanks for the replies.

If we need to hand over the alcohol we will of course do so. If it is returned on the final night of the cruise we will be getting it back 24 hours later, which seems like a fairly pointless exercise, but we will absolutely comply with the rules set.
Many times if you purchase liquor in the ship store if within a couple of days before disembarkation, they'll just let you take it to your cabin. It's just not worth their effort to deliver it since you're practically off the ship anyway.

Oh- btw, they also give a 10% Elite discount so have an Elite friend make the purchase for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
7,906 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by pablo222
I recall the discussion about this. There were several posters who were adamant that their
guests had brought on wine during a BVE, THEREFORE IT WAS ALLOWED.

One even called princess (I don't know how many times it took) -- and got an answer they liked.

Of course, another poster reported calling princess and hearing: "What's a BVE?"

So, calling princess is like new england weather -- just wait a minute and it will change.

No one has ever posted a written policy.

On each and every BVE that we have taken people on, Princess did always tell me that the guests could each bring a bottle of wine on. Not only did I call but I emailed customer relations and got an email back stating that BVE guests were each allowed to bring the wine or champagne and the same rules applied as they did to us. They could consume them in our balcony or they had to pay the corkage fee if they wanted to bring them to the dining room for lunch.
We have stopped at the alcohol table to get stickers for the bottles we had over 2 and again, they were not charged.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

West Haven, CT
1,411 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
[quote=Host CJSKIDS;54979954]On each and every BVE that we have taken people on, Princess did always tell me that the guests could each bring a bottle of wine on. Not only did I call but I emailed customer relations and got an email back stating that BVE guests were each allowed to bring the wine or champagne and the same rules applied as they did to us. They could consume them in our balcony or they had to pay the corkage fee if they wanted to bring them to the dining room for lunch.
We have stopped at the alcohol table to get stickers for the bottles we had over 2 and again, they were not charged.[/qu

I've done 3 BVE's and both of my guest carried on a bottle of wine for me. No question. No problem. Security is looking for the ONE bottle per person. They have no clue who you are. Just bring the bottle; if there's a problem, pay the $15; it's still cheaper than buying their wine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rosie

NCL ?-1993
Carnival Imagination-12/02
Carnival Imagination-11/03
Carnival Valor-1/06
Crown Princess-10/07
Caribbean Princess-10/08
Caribbean Princess- 10/09
Carnival Dream - 11/09
Caribbean Princess-10/13
Royal Princess-10/14
Regal Princess 11/15

Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
7,906 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
[quote=dcrow72;54982009]
Originally posted by Host CJSKIDS
On each and every BVE that we have taken people on, Princess did always tell me that the guests could each bring a bottle of wine on. Not only did I call but I emailed customer relations and got an email back stating that BVE guests were each allowed to bring the wine or champagne and the same rules applied as they did to us. They could consume them in our balcony or they had to pay the corkage fee if they wanted to bring them to the dining room for lunch.
We have stopped at the alcohol table to get stickers for the bottles we had over 2 and again, they were not charged.[/qu

I've done 3 BVE's and both of my guest carried on a bottle of wine for me. No question. No problem. Security is looking for the ONE bottle per person. They have no clue who you are. Just bring the bottle; if there's a problem, pay the $15; it's still cheaper than buying their wine.
Yes, we’ve always had our guest carry on bottles as well with no issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

Colorado
2,173 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Probably half the time we return to the ship there isn't anyone there to take any alcohol purchases. Have also seen a couple of times where the folks running the scanner tell the person manning the table. Also have seen where the person manning the table asked guests if they had alcohol and were NOT told by the scanning folks. Enforcement seems to be very spotty.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by LeeW
Probably half the time we return to the ship there isn't anyone there to take any alcohol purchases. Have also seen a couple of times where the folks running the scanner tell the person manning the table. Also have seen where the person manning the table asked guests if they had alcohol and were NOT told by the scanning folks. Enforcement seems to be very spotty.
True.
Sometimes they don't bother to set up the collection table early in the morning since there's no one returning at that time with any purchases.
As the traffic increases during the day and there's still not many people they will flag certain people from the scanner section.
If you wait a little longer when there's a line beginning to form (around lunch time) the people are returning back to quickly to single out each person.
This is the best time to return if you want to bring your items to your cabin....only for safe keeping of course.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
San Mateo, California
5,745 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
It always amazes me that some folks worry so much about what others may or may not do? I would just respond with the stated policy, that is what the op is asking, let the policy speak for itself.
Eagle, ID
483 Posts
Joined May 2015
I have brought whiskey from the Jamison distillery right through the scanners with no issue. I had it out and clearly visible, did not try to hide it at all. Later in that same cruise I brought calvados on board with no problems.

There is a difference between the stated policy, and the enforcement of that policy.
176 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I bought several bottles of tequila while in Mexico. Ran them through the scanner and walked to my room. There was no one manning the table.

Another time, I also had a couple of bottles, ran through the scanner, without a word, that time there were people at the table. Again walked to my room with the bottles.

Seems to be inconsistent.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by justafem
I bought several bottles of tequila while in Mexico. Ran them through the scanner and walked to my room. There was no one manning the table.

Another time, I also had a couple of bottles, ran through the scanner, without a word, that time there were people at the table. Again walked to my room with the bottles.

Seems to be inconsistent.
Inconsistent only because the guy the at the table was only there because it's his job the the day. It must get boring to sit there day after day checking in bottles.
I was joking around with one of the guys when returning one early morning and asked him about having a bottle at the bottom of my towel bag. He only smiled and didn't say much as if to say "check it in if you want to".
I got on an elevator with my bag as usual.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
1,394 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I bought a 12 pack of Mexican beer at the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta and stuffed it in my backpack... The only thing I got was a wink from the gal running the scanner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kids waking up DW prior to muster drill (she didn't know they were coming!) and more Alaska fun: