Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:23 PM.
USA
2,325 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
They are trying to move us to a pay for everything extra . If you want something decent you pay extra.
Some are falling for it!
242 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by PoohUnderstands
Ok, here comes Miss Snippy. Cruise Critic has given me so much information over the years and I love the ability to chat with you all. But I see a thread like this......... is it just that someone is bored or feeling whimsical? I mean, really, pizza good or bad on a cruise? I mean I have been on many cruises now and literally not once have I used up my calories allowed(a lot!) on a piece of pizza and I eat pizza at home a lot. There is so much to enjoy and learn and do on a cruise that this just seems a little much. Are there really that many people that eating pizza on a cruise is one of their high points?

Again, I have been up all night with a sick grandchild so that may be MY problem right now. But then you ask, here I am reading about the bad/good pizza thread so what does that say about me!??!!!! Grin.

Whatever, I hope those that really do enjoy pizza get on a Princess ship where it is good!!! For me I will never know. Well, may have to take that back in that I will be going on the Royal for the first time in March and will probably try Alfredo's - but order something besides pizza! Grin.

Have a great day all.

Pooh

No offense intended - but when I go on a cruise (or hell, ANY vacation) the last thing in the world I worry about are "calories"

Hell, I've paid for that food - I intend to eat it!!
Illinois
677 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We try the pizza every cruise and we aren't fans of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jackie

Caribbean Princess 3/04/06
Grand Princess 3/03/07
Caribbean Princess 3/16/08
Ruby Princess 4/11/2009
Crown Princess 4/17/2010
Crown Princess 4/09/2011
Caribbean Princess 4/12/2014
Crown Princess 3/28/2015

Grand Princess SF/Hawaii/SF 4/23/17
Upcoming: Royal Princess 3/30/18

1,926 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Vacationdreamer<><
Just off Crown.
Sad to say the Mexican pizza was hideous - one bite was all I could do.
The pepperoni was slightly better, but I didn’t finished that one either.
☹️
Count me on not-loving-it-list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Seriously? Mexican Pizza? Are you kidding? What’s that?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
La dolce vita!
Non mancarmi di rispetto, ragazzo! Lo ti ucciderò!

Sydney
112 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I had the pizza on the Emerald in January and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majestic Princess - Sydney to NZ roundtrip 14 days, September 2018

Emerald Princess - Sydney-Vanuatu & New Caledonia roundtrip 11 days, January 2017 - COMPLETE

Diamond Princess - Sydney-NZ roundtrip 14 days, December 2015 - COMPLETE
Western, NY
964 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Kingofcool1947
Seriously? Mexican Pizza? Are you kidding? What’s that?

I love pizza.
I love Mexican.
This was a weird concoction.
Giant chunks of sausage but no other real taste.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 17)
MSC - Seaside - 6/2018
Princess - Crown - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
Chico, California
11,373 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Vacationdreamer<><

I love pizza.
I love Mexican.
This was a weird concoction.
Giant chunks of sausage but no other real taste.

Perhaps if they actually put some sauce on the stuff it might have more flavor. They seem to use very little sauce and what they do use is flavorless. Apparently they have never heard of using spices in pizza sauce.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

13,563 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Sad to hear that it has changed across the line. We were on the Caribbean Princess and I thought the pizza was great. 9 months later on the Diamond Princess, it was basic cruise line cardboard pizza. I HOPED it was the difference between the ships and part of the world where we were cruising.
292 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Due to so many different opinions, I think it might be safe to say that the pizza varies greatly from ship to ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
33 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Like so many things, we all have our particular tastes. Pizza is no different. Just because of threads like this, my sister and I tried the pizza on the Caribbean Princess this past week. Both of us liked it. It was nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. It was thin crust pizza with the greasy skim from using real cheese.

We ate anytime and always shared tables and had a few people complain about the food, but I saw nothing wrong with the quality. A few dishes throughout the week were not to my taste, but they weren't BAD - they were just different than I'm used to or prefer. Others were different and I liked them better than what I'm used to. That's part of the experience - getting perhaps a different flavour combination than I'm used to.

Complaining that food is "terrible" when it simply isn't to your taste is just completely self-centered. Lots of people like this "terrible" food.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave (and Sandra)
Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera (coming) 2019
Caribbean Princess - Panama Canal 2018
Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean 2016
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska 2015
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas 2014
Norwegian Norway - Eastern Caribbean 1994
35 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I came off the Crown Friday 1/12/18 and found the pizza really good. The margherita and pepperoni were daily choices and there was a third special of the day choice. All were solid. I especially liked the Nizzardo option with tuna filets and purple onion. Dough, sauce, cheese and toppings were all flavorful. I would recommend any without hesitation.
Phoenix, AZ
249 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Any word on the pizza currently on the Star?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jerry

Booked
Star Princess - Jul 2018, 7 Day Voyage of the Glaciers
Majestic Princess - Mar 2019, 13 Day New Zealand

Completed
Star Princess - Mar 2018, 15 Day Hawaii
Emerald Princess - Nov 2017, 5 Day Cabo San Lucas Getaway
Ruby Princess - Sep 2017, 7 Day Inside Passage w/ Glacier Bay
Coral Princess - Oct 2016, 10 Day Panama Canal
Star Princess - May 2016, 7 Day Inside Passage with Glacier Bay
Viking Gefjon - Dec 2015, 7 Day Heart of Germany Christmas Markets
Ruby Princess - Sep 2015, 4 Day West Coast Getaway
Caribbean Princess - Apr 2015, 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
Island Princess - Sep 2014, 11 Day Voyage of the Glaciers / Cruise tour
Caribbean Princess - Aug 2014, 5 Day Western Caribbean
Sapphire Princess- Mar 2014, 4 Day California Getaway
Sapphire Princess- Jan 2014, 4 Day California Getaway
Golden Princess- Oct 2013, 3 Day California Getaway
Grand Princess- Sep 2013, 10 Day Alaska
Sapphire Princess- Apr 2013, 7 Day California Coastal
Grace Bailey- Sep 2012, 5 Day Maine Coastal
Mattie- Aug 1967, 5 Day Maine Coastal
SS Aquarama- circa 1960, Cleveland / Detroit 1 Day round trip
Southern California
3,647 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Off the Island Princess Tuesday... tried the pizza twice .. it was not good. No flavor and very skimpy on the toppings. Have not experienced this before... so might be ship specific 😩🍕
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LAST FEW CRUISES
Emerald Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii/Samoa March 2018
Island Princess - Panama Canal Dec 2017
Queen Mary 2 - TA July 2017
Pacific Princess TA/Norwegian Fjords June 2017
Royal Princess Southern Carribean Nov 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam Malt Shop Memories Oct 2016
Crown Princess Calif Coastal Sept 2016
American Queen - Mississipi River Cruise March 2016
Celebrity Constellation - TA Nov 2015

TOTAL CRUISES: 60+AND COUNTING....
Chicago, Illinois
2,533 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Just got off the Grand today. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. Last year on the Royal it was pretty good and I gladly partook more than once. This time the "cheese" had a weird creamy texture and just tasted nasty in general. I thought Alfredo's would be better, but such was not the case. Truly vile!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elyce

Chandris Amerikanis - late 1970's; Carnival Festivale, NCL Norway, Carnival Tropicale - 1980's; Carnival Celebration - 1989; HAL Westerdam - 12/2009; HAL Eurodam - 2/2011; HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - 1/2012; HAL Noordam - 2/2013; HAL Noordam - 1/2014; HAL Noordam - 2/2015; HAL Zuiderdam - 2/2016; Royal Princess - 1/2017; Grand Princess - 1/2018

Columbia, Md
2,642 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by elycelynne
Just got off the Grand today. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. Last year on the Royal it was pretty good and I gladly partook more than once. This time the "cheese" had a weird creamy texture and just tasted nasty in general. I thought Alfredo's would be better, but such was not the case. Truly vile!!!
We LOVE Alfredo's pizza. Truly food is all subjective.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras 4/1988
NCL Norway 8/1990
Carnival Sensation 8/1996
Carnival Sensation 4/9/2000
Carnival Paradise 2/1/2002
Carnival Triumph 1/31/2004
Carnival Paradise - 14 day Panama Canal 9/6/2004
Golden Princess 6/9/2012

Caribbean Princess 9/21/2013
Crown Princess - San Diego 2/2015
Grand Princess - Hawaii 2/2015
Royal Princess - 4/2015 B2B - TA/British Isles
Carnival Pride - 1/2016 B2B - Caribbean
Crown Princess - 10/20/2016 - 28 day RT Hawaii/South Pacific
Royal Princess - 4/19/2017 - 28 day B2B TA & Mediterranean
Crown Princess - 11/8/2017 - 10 day B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess - 12/30/2017 - 10 day Southern Caribbean
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,143 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by dickinson
We LOVE Alfredo's pizza. Truly food is all subjective.
The problem with the pizza is it seems to be a negative work in progress. So while Alfredo's pizza might have been great on your last Princess cruise...it has possibly now changed over to the crappy cheese they recently started using in the pool deck venue. On our Dec Regal cruise we also thought Alfredos was fine....but wondered how long until it was downgraded to what we experienced upstairs. I will not even repeat what one of staff at Alfredo's (who has also worked at the other pizza venue) told us....but it was not complementary to Princess. Suffice it to say that the staff tries to do the best they can....with the available products. When the product changes, its the poor staff that has to hear all the complaints.

Hank
P.S. We pray that somebody at Princess has read this blog....and will make a decision to use their previous cheese product. We have an upcoming long cruise on the Golden...and would really hope to experience the quality Princess pizza we have enjoyed since Sitmar days.
242 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I guess my question would be, how does the pizza compare to any "local" chain (don't want to give free advertising here) - I mean, I've eaten some REALLY bad pizza in my day - from New York to Florida to California - and all points in between, so I am not surprised when I get a bad slice.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Columbia, Md
2,642 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Hlitner
The problem with the pizza is it seems to be a negative work in progress. So while Alfredo's pizza might have been great on your last Princess cruise...it has possibly now changed over to the crappy cheese they recently started using in the pool deck venue. On our Dec Regal cruise we also thought Alfredos was fine....but wondered how long until it was downgraded to what we experienced upstairs. I will not even repeat what one of staff at Alfredo's (who has also worked at the other pizza venue) told us....but it was not complementary to Princess. Suffice it to say that the staff tries to do the best they can....with the available products. When the product changes, its the poor staff that has to hear all the complaints.

Hank
P.S. We pray that somebody at Princess has read this blog....and will make a decision to use their previous cheese product. We have an upcoming long cruise on the Golden...and would really hope to experience the quality Princess pizza we have enjoyed since Sitmar days.
My last cruise was over New Years on the Royal. Don't know if they changed anything yet in Alfredo's but I enjoyed my vegetarian pizza. Going on her again in just over a year and will be disappointed if their pizza is bad. Princess.... are you listening to all of us?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras 4/1988
NCL Norway 8/1990
Carnival Sensation 8/1996
Carnival Sensation 4/9/2000
Carnival Paradise 2/1/2002
Carnival Triumph 1/31/2004
Carnival Paradise - 14 day Panama Canal 9/6/2004
Golden Princess 6/9/2012

Caribbean Princess 9/21/2013
Crown Princess - San Diego 2/2015