Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:16 PM.
Boston, MA
178 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I agree, Princess pizza has deteriorated!
On Royal TA last week, I first thought it had sat too long but no better a few days later.
Was my favorite, so sorry to see change for worse ..
Sydney, Australia
8,308 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Homosassa
For those of you that come from a part of the USA where the cheese on the pizza is plastic processed "pizza" cheese toppings, the "grease" on the Princess pizza comes from using a real cheese that loses the milk fat as it cooks. It is common in pizza that actually uses cheese and not the stuff that many USA chains use (of course, their clientele wouldn't know the difference).
Originally posted by deliver42
Don't ever get pizza in a N.Y. pizzeria either. They only use real cheese, and it is oozzie.
It depends on the cheese. Some hard cheeses (including fake mozzarellas), do release a lot of fat when used for cooking. True mozzarella is not greasy but it is very oozy. There is a difference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Roseville, CA USA
479 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I thought it was just me. Off the Crown a few weeks ago. First slice I had I thought there must have been a mixup with ingredients or something. Two days later, another slice, just as bad. Third slice, awful, so I gave up on the Pizza. Very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Tampa, Florida area
12,321 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Disembarked the Pacific Princess about 3 weeks ago, We enjoyed it several times in our 23 days onboard and found the pizza to look and taste just as delicious as it always has.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Flamomo

Completed cruises: (377 days on Princess ... so far!)
2004 Coral Princess (Panama Canal & W. Caribbean)
2005 Sun Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2006 Island Princess (Hawai'i)
2007 Sea Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2007 Golden Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2008 Diamond Princess (Hawai'i)
2008 Tahitian Princess (Tahiti & FP)
2009 Star Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2010 Golden Princess (Hawai'i)
2011 Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2011 Sapphire Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2011 Sapphire Princess (28 day r/t LA-HI-Samoa-French Polynesia-LA)
2011 Saphire Princess (Mexican Riviera), done as B2B with the 28 day above
2012 Star Princess (r/t SF-Hawaii)
2012 Ruby Princess (19 day T/A Venice to FLL)
2013 Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2013 Pacific Princess (12 day Venice to Athens)
2013 Crown Princess (26 day B2B Southampton to the Canaries, and T/A)
2014 Crown Princess Andes & So America (16 days Valpariso to LA)
2014 Carnival Paradise - First ever non-Princess cruise - just a quickie with family!
2014 Caribbean Princess (9 day B2B with friends)
2015 Ruby Princess So America (32 days FLL to Valpariso)
2015 Emerald Princess (T/A Barcelona to FLL)
2016 Caribbean Princess (30 day EB T/A including British Isles itinerary)
2016 Pacific Princess (17 day T/A Rome to FLL)

2017 Pacific Princess (23 days Dover to Venice)

NEXT UP!!

October 23, 2018 Crown Princess 25 day TA Barcelona to FLL
Port St. Lucie, FL
2,984 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by flamomo
Disembarked the Pacific Princess about 3 weeks ago, We enjoyed it several times in our 23 days onboard and found the pizza to look and taste just as delicious as it always has.
Good to hear. Actually, it's always good to hear good reports. It's amazing how many pizza corner sewers there are....oh, I meant connoisseurs. If that's all that was an issue on the voyage, that's a good thing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 Princess Cruises and 2 more booked this year
Royal & Regal Princess Photo Contest Winner
View Our Baltic and new Western Europe Portfolio at: https://gsnider2.myportfolio.com/

Regal Princess 3/92 and 2/94
Crown Princess 2/97 and 3/99
Norwegian Dream 3/00
Grand Princess 3/01
Coral Princess Panama 3/03
Sun Princess 2/04 and 2/05
Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean 6/05
Golden Princess - Greek Isles 5/06
Island Princess - Hawaii 4/07
Caribbean Princess - E. Caribbean 2/08
Tahitian Princess - Alaska 8/08
Island Princess - Panama 2/09
Caribbean Princess - New England 10/09
Princess Captain's Circle Elite
Emerald Princess - E. Caribbean 2/10
Crown Princess - New Year's Eve 2010
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 2/2012
Caribbean Princess - Canada/NewEngland 9/29/2012
Island Princess -Panama Canal 12/30/2012
Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean 12/08/2013
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 4/6/2014
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 5/19/2014
Regal Princess - Transatlantic 10/17/2014
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 12/13/2014
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 2/27/2015
Emerald Princess - W. Caribbean 3/22/2015
Royal Princess - S. Caribbean 11/20/2015
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 2/22/2016
Regal Princess - Scandinavia & Russia 8/30/2016
Regal Princess - Norway Passage/British Isles & TransAtlantic 9/10/2016
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 12/30/2016
Royal Princess - S. Caribbean 2/28/2017
Caribbean Princess - Western Europe Passage 9/22/2017
Caribbean Princess - Circle Caribbean 10/07/2017
Regal Princess - OM Premier Voyage 11/13/2017
Pacific Princess - Caribbean Collection 12/22/2017
Regal Princess - Western Caribbean 02/25/2018
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean -5/01/2018
Viking Embla - Grand Europe River Voyage - 7/03/2018
Regal Princess - Western/Eastern Caribbean - 12/30/2018
6 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Had pizza three times on Caribbean last week and thought it was quite good compared to other pizza had over other brands. Not the top of line quality but I enjoyed it.
UK
2,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Pizza bar doing very little business on the Royal,on the transatlantic, hardly anyone going up, the burger bar on the other hand was always busy.
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We are leaving on the Grand tomorrow. I can’t wait to try the pizza now so I can put in my two cents!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Sacramento
511 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by dverzic
We are leaving on the Grand tomorrow. I can’t wait to try the pizza now so I can put in my two cents!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Make sure you get your pizza at Alfredo's. The pizza near the pool isn't as good if I remember right.
Alaska
922 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I have always enjoyed Princess's pizza and honestly believed it was the best pizza at sea. However, during our Alaska cruise this summer I found the pizza to be quite bad. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it. I tried it on more than one occasion and the results were the same.

A couple weeks later we were sailing on an MSC ship out of Miami and absolutely loved their pizza. The pizza on the buffet was outstanding and the pizza from their pizza restaurant was even better. Princess has definitely relinquished the best-pizza-at-sea crown

~Brian
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit - June 2019 - Bermuda & New England | MSC Seaside - June 2019 - B2B - Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - June 2018 - Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox - June 2018 - Caribbean | MSC Seaside - May 2018 - B2B - Caribbean
MSC Divina - June 2017
- B2B - Caribbean| NCL Sun - June 2107 - Alaska | Star Princess - May 2017 - Alaska
RCCL Allure of the Seas - June 2016 - Caribbean | Norwegian Getaway - June 2016 - Caribbean | RCCL Anthem of the Seas - June 2016 - Bermuda/Caribbean
Royal Princess - June 2015 - British Isles | Norwegian Spirit - June 2015 - Mediterranean | Carnival Freedom - June 14, 2014 - Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - June 7, 2014 - Caribbean | Carnival Valor - June 9, 2013 - Caribbean | Coral Princess - May 29, 2013 - Alaska
Carnival Freedom - June 10, 2012 - Caribbean | Carnival Freedom - June 2, 2012 - Caribbean | Carnival Paradise - March 9, 2003 - Caribbean
Carnival Tropicale - November 1988 - Mexico | Sitmar Fairwind - October 1986 - Caribbean
UK
2,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by shukapaw
I have always enjoyed Princess's pizza and honestly believed it was the best pizza at sea. However, during our Alaska cruise this summer I found the pizza to be quite bad. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it. I tried it on more than one occasion and the results were the same.

A couple weeks later we were sailing on an MSC ship out of Miami and absolutely loved their pizza. The pizza on the buffet was outstanding and the pizza from their pizza restaurant was even better. Princess has definitely relinquished the best-pizza-at-sea crown

~Brian
It’s quite funny, Princess are posting on there official Facebook page they have the best pizza at see, the comments to this post disagree completely
4,522 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I was also on the Pacific princess last month. Tried the pizza twice. The first time it was not good at all. Tried a second time several days later and it was just as bad. Never tried their pizza again.
pennsylvania
351 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by antsp
Noticed that recently on the Royal, definitely using cheaper ingredients. The pepperoni was very strange in texture and taste
I agree, the pizza by the pool has gone down hill, but Alfredo pizza is as good as that I just had in Rome.
pennsylvania
351 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by antsp
Pizza bar doing very little business on the Royal,on the transatlantic, hardly anyone going up, the burger bar on the other hand was always busy.
I agree, was on that cruise also, pizza upstairs has gone down in quality over the last 2 years.
Point Richmond CA
6,427 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by deliver42
If you get pepperoni, they probably use the same as the frozen pizzas in the grocery store. hey meat is mixed with chicken, which is cheaper, of course. Not true pepperoni.

True "pepperoni" in Italy are actual peppers- not meat in any way, shape or form.
As for cruise pizza being compared to NY pizza, please know that a lot of pizza in NY is equally bad. If The NY Times food critics over the years are to be believed (and I fully agree with them), the historic gold standard for a Neapolitan pie is Di Fara's on J Street in Brooklyn. What NY has going for it is a larger percentage (per capital) of decent pizzerias than any place else in the US. IMO, Boston would be second and SF third.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
boca raton fl
1,210 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Being Southern Italian I am very objective when it comes to pizza. You can`t compare what you ate in Italy to American pizza. The toppings we use here are commercial compared to natural in Italy, that said, I`m not saying ours are bad but a bit different. Our ingredients we use are commercial & not bad & then it depends on whom is putting the pie together & cooking it correctly. Having sailed on Princess 36 times its never the same. I must say my last cruise on the Caribbean Princess in October was by far the best. The pies were cooked to perfection, & the best I ever had on Princess.