Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:54 PM.
Maine
1,246 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I searched the threads and dont seem to see this info. Apologies if I missed it.
We are booked 6 day pre-tour through Princess in Australia. Has anyone done this? Cairns, Ayers rock and back to Sydney. How long do you have free each day? Suggestions of things to see/do after the tours? comments?
Thanks for the help.
I come from a land down under
25,139 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by 55J5-5
I searched the threads and dont seem to see this info. Apologies if I missed it.
We are booked 6 day pre-tour through Princess in Australia. Has anyone done this? Cairns, Ayers rock and back to Sydney. How long do you have free each day? Suggestions of things to see/do after the tours? comments?
Thanks for the help.

Wow....

Talk about squeezing it in.

Do you fly strait to Cairns? Or into Sydney then upto Cairns.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Queensland
7,197 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I have read good comments about the tour and haven't heard any negatives. I think the organised tours will take up most of your time, so I won't make suggestions on what to see or do after. What month will you be travelling?
Australia
135 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
I don't reckon there'll be much down time. They're big air jumps with full on itineraries at your destinations. I had a look at the land tour and it's marvellous in what you'll see and experience. I think you'll be too tired to worry about any extras but let us know what's on offer.
pa
7,738 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by 55J5-5
Thanks for the help.
We did the 8 day tour 10 years ago, which was a little different than your itinerary sequence, but did go to the same sites. Darwin & Alligator River (there are no alligators in Australia, only crocs) was also on our tour. There was very little "free" time, but the tour was really nice, deluxe all the way. First thing you have to realize are the flight times. Sydney to Cairns, 3 hours, Cairns to Ayers Rock, 3 to 4 hours, Ayers rock to Sydney, 4 hours, plus the time it takes to get to the airport and through security. These flights take up half the days. In Cairns after landing you will visit Kuranda taking the cable car to get there, after which you will be taken to your hotel. We stayed at the Marriot and were able to go into Port Douglas for the evening. The Barrier Reef trip will take all day. Bring sea sick pills, there is a lot of movement of the boat going over and back. The boat travels around 30 knots or so. Very windy on deck. At Ayres Rock we stayed at Sails in the Desert. There is a small mall next to the property you can walk to. At the Olga's there were a lot of flies. Ask your tour guide about it. We purchased some head nets to protect us. We still have them. On the last day you will tour around Sydney. When we took the tour we spent 2 days pre-tour each on our own in Melbourne and Sydney. Our large suitcases were handed in to the tour operator and were in our cabin when we boarded the ship. We took the tour with carry ons only.That was really nice.
Enjoy the tour.
Delaware
175 Posts
Joined May 2011
Stayed at Sails in the Desert several years ago - lovely hotel! If you have the opportunity to do "Dinner Under the Stars" offered by the hotel highly, highly, highly recommend it. It was one of the most amazing experiences we have ever had. Stars felt like they were close enough to touch; telescopes available also and saw Orion's Belt among other things. Really awesome. Also, be aware that flies in the Red Center/Ayres Rock area are horrendous and will cover whatever exposed skin you have. Wear long sleeves and invest in a hat with a head net to cover your face and neck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Cruises - 26 and counting

Upcoming Cruises - 28 Day Hawaii/Tahiti/Samoa on Emerald Princess; 60 Day Circle North Pacific on Coral Princess
Maine
1,246 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
sknight that is just the kind of info we were looking for. Thank you soooo much. flight times are great to know also.

babysarge that sounds wonderful. Will look for that and try to do it.

great info on the flies. Will see what I can get before we leave. We are going to be in Australia/new Zealand over Christmas and new years.

We just wanted to have an idea if we have loads of time each day free or just a few hrs. Not to really book anything just a matter of what to have in mind.

Thanks for all the help.
Queensland, AU
634 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
There is a lady on our Roll Call for an Adelaide to Melbourne cruise and she is doing a Disney land tour prior to joining the cruise. Its 10 days/11 nights starting in Sydney and ending in Brisbane.
You'll find details here;
https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/a...lia-vacations/
It is very comprehesive and visits a lot of different iconic Australian locations from the red centre to the tropics.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & Lester

Pacific Dawn, November 2011
Oosterdam, March 2013
Carnival Legend, October 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas, December 2014
Sea Princess, November 2015
Pacific Pearl, April 2016
Diamond Princess, November 2016
Sun Princess, August 2017
Golden Princess, January 2018
Majestic Princess, November 2018
Kings Park, NY
156 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
The information you post was very helpful. My wife and I are doing the trip on Oct. 23, 2018. Our is cruise first from NZ and ending in Sydney were we start the 6 day land tour. Please post any new info that you can.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1962 Homes Line Italia
1996 NCL Seward
1998 Celebrity Zenith
1999 Celebrity Horizon
2001 Carnival Legend
2002 Celebrity Mercury
2003 Celebrity Century
2004 Celebrity Millennium
2005 Celebrity Mercury
2006 Celebrity Constellation
2007 NCL Dawn
2007 M/S River Adagio
2008 Grand Princess
2010 HAL Zuiderdam
2011 Celebrity Equinox
2013 Celebrity Constellation
2014 Royal Princess
2014 Celebrity Summit
2014 NCL Breakaway
2016 NCL Spirit
2016 Diamond Princess
2018 Majestic Princess

5,120 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
If you pack nothing else, make sure you have one of those screen thingees that you put over your head to ward off the flies when you are at Ayers Rock. They get into every "nook and cranny" you have--eyes, ears, nose, mouth. You can buy them at a sports store here I think. We got ours over there. Ironically, the flies went to bed at night and did not bother us at all at the dinner under the stars but as soon as the sun came out, so did they.
Queensland, AU
634 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by Tucker in Texas
If you pack nothing else, make sure you have one of those screen thingees that you put over your head to ward off the flies when you are at Ayers Rock.
Cheapest place we found to get these is at the Uluru IGA Supermarket. They're twice the price at the nearby souvenir shops.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & Lester

Pacific Dawn, November 2011
Oosterdam, March 2013
Carnival Legend, October 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas, December 2014
Sea Princess, November 2015
Pacific Pearl, April 2016
Diamond Princess, November 2016
Sun Princess, August 2017
Golden Princess, January 2018
Majestic Princess, November 2018
Australia
135 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by linanles
Cheapest place we found to get these is at the Uluru IGA Supermarket. They're twice the price at the nearby souvenir shops.
Not a bad idea but the number of flies really depend on the time of year and the weather. When is this trip? A good insect repellent will be important anyway for this stop and Cairns.
Queensland
7,197 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
The OP said they will be in Australia over Christmas and New Years. Mid-summer will be very hot to exceptionally hot in the Ayers Rock area and hot and humid in Cairns where there is likely to be some rain because it is the middle of the wet season.
Palm Springs, Calif
41,983 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
If you in Sydney and plan to go to Ayers Rock before your cruise, it will incur a flight up & back, long drive to the area and back, it is good you have a 6 day land trip before. I read up on getting there during our trip to Sydney prior to our cruise and decided that since it wasn't a land trip to Australia and didn't have the time to pass. Our daughter returned to Australia a year ago and drove around with a lady she had met on our Australia cruise and visited Ayers Rock.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl
Queensland
7,197 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Desert Cruizers
If you in Sydney and plan to go to Ayers Rock before your cruise, it will incur a flight up & back, long drive to the area and back, it is good you have a 6 day land trip before. I read up on getting there during our trip to Sydney prior to our cruise and decided that since it wasn't a land trip to Australia and didn't have the time to pass. Our daughter returned to Australia a year ago and drove around with a lady she had met on our Australia cruise and visited Ayers Rock.
I am pretty sure the land tour would fly passengers into Yulara (right near Ayers Rock), not Alice Springs that is 470km or five hours' drive away. With flying into Yulara, it is a very short drive to get to Ayers Rock. BTW, it is now known as Uluru.
Palm Springs, Calif
41,983 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Aus Traveler, thank you, I was looking at the flight into Alice Springs. Our daughter and her aunt actually flew up to Queensland after we got back from the 13 day NZ cruise, as we had 9 days before the Transpacific. Although she didn't make Ayers Rock at that time, upon her return trip she and the lady she had met on our NZ cruise spent 3 weeks driving around and did go to Ayers Rock.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl