Bringing alcohol on board from port visit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:54 PM.
#1
6 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
apologies if this is has an obvious answer.

I'm aware that there is a single bottle limit of wine/champagne per passenger on embarkation, but I was wondering if the same applies to alcohol purchased in port. We will be visiting a port where we are hoping to visit a boutique distillery and purchase some whisky and gin as souvenirs. Is there an issue bringing these items back on board?

Thanks in advance.
#2
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Officially the answer is that you're not allowed to bring it to your room.
You're supposed to check it in at the alcohol collection desk set up in the embarkation area.
BUT
the actuality of the system is that many people simple walk by the desk & bring it to their room.

I prefer my own cabin for safekeeping.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#3
Hollywood, FL
530 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Officially the answer is that you're not allowed to bring it to your room.
You're supposed to check it in at the alcohol collection desk set up in the embarkation area.
BUT
the actuality of the system is that many people simple walk by the desk & bring it to their room.

I prefer my own cabin for safekeeping.
To Princess Cruises: I highlighted it in red in case you missed it the first time. Seems like it's time to step up security and remind the staff to be more alert since passengers are outright bragging about circumvention.

It's exactly these posts --I think, based upon my personal conversations with them-- why some Carnival Corporation executives loathe Cruise Critic, and why they can refer to Cruise Critic sometimes as a cesspool of smugglers and cheats who promote the circumvention of cruise line policy.

The OP asked a legitimate question and the answer according to policy is that passengers are permitted to bring spirits that purchase in ports of call, then declare them to be held in safekeeping until the last night of the cruise.
#4
Richmond, Virginia
2,762 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
There is official policy in writing then there is reality.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
#5
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by rbt001
To Princess Cruises: I highlighted it in red in case you missed it the first time. Seems like it's time to step up security and remind the staff to be more alert since passengers are outright bragging about circumvention.
Yes Princess, myself and many others don't care for you collection services when returning to the ship at distant ports but do appreciate your lack of enforcement.

To the OP- Princess will collect you liquor purchases & hold them for you until the last night on board the ship.
I for one store my purchases in my own cabin for safekeeping rather then trust it to your crew for storage & distribution.

I make my future purchases at lower cost ports & when returning on subsequent cruises, smuggle it back for my enjoyment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#6
1,394 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Yes Princess, myself and many others don't care for you collection services when returning to the ship at distant ports but do appreciate your lack of enforcement.

To the OP- Princess will collect you liquor purchases & hold them for you until the last night on board the ship.
I for one store my purchases in my own cabin for safekeeping rather then trust it to your crew for storage & distribution.

I make my future purchases at lower cost ports & when returning on subsequent cruises, smuggle it back for my enjoyment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kids waking up DW prior to muster drill (she didn't know they were coming!) and more Alaska fun:

#7
USA
8,173 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Yes Princess, myself and many others don't care for you collection services when returning to the ship at distant ports but do appreciate your lack of enforcement.

To the OP- Princess will collect you liquor purchases & hold them for you until the last night on board the ship.
I for one store my purchases in my own cabin for safekeeping rather then trust it to your crew for storage & distribution.

I make my future purchases at lower cost ports & when returning on subsequent cruises, smuggle it back for my enjoyment.
like
#8
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
2,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
All alcohol purchase on port of call is confiscated when returning to the cruise and will be returned last night of the sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Eclipse B2B2B Vancouver-Hawaii-Vancouver-Los Angeles September 22 to October 20, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette B2B Southern Caribbean 03/15 to 04/05/19Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean 03/18/18
Oasis OTS Eastern Caribbean 03/17/16Rhapsody OTS Western Caribbean 07/16/06
Splendour OTS British Islands & Norwegian Fjords 07/28/00Splendour OTS Millennium Southern Caribbean /12/28/99
Disney Magic Bahamas 03/29/99Enchantment OTS Western Caribbean 08/16/98
Nordic Empress Southern Caribbean 12/29/97--Nordic Empress Bahamas 07/22/96
#9
Oakland, Ca, US
400 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
In reality it depends on the port and ship - I have had multiple bottles of wine (4-5) purchased and wineries in different ports and there is rarely an "alcohol" table set up. I put the wine through the x-ray machine and if no one says anything and there is no designated table I just take it back and store it in my cabin. I always have the beverage package so no need to smuggle and hard liquor.
#10
407 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by gerelmx
All alcohol purchase on port of call is confiscated when returning to the cruise and will be returned last night of the sailing.
Which means you will be well stocked on the second leg of a B2B cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8 Princess, 2 RCCL, 1 HAL, 1 NCL (All Caribbean Itineraries)
#11
2,315 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Whether they collect it or not also depends on your Captain Circle status. Black cards got to keep their alcohol when returning from port on our British Isles cruise.
#12
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
2,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by GRAYTech
Which means you will be well stocked on the second leg of a B2B cruise.

I had not thought about that possibility, I hope they do not know
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Eclipse B2B2B Vancouver-Hawaii-Vancouver-Los Angeles September 22 to October 20, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette B2B Southern Caribbean 03/15 to 04/05/19Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean 03/18/18
Oasis OTS Eastern Caribbean 03/17/16Rhapsody OTS Western Caribbean 07/16/06
Splendour OTS British Islands & Norwegian Fjords 07/28/00Splendour OTS Millennium Southern Caribbean /12/28/99
Disney Magic Bahamas 03/29/99Enchantment OTS Western Caribbean 08/16/98
Nordic Empress Southern Caribbean 12/29/97--Nordic Empress Bahamas 07/22/96
#13
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by gerelmx
I had not thought about that possibility, I hope they do not know
It becomes quite obvious when your alcohol appears at your door during the first of a B2B trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#14
Oakville, ON
2,843 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by memoak
In reality it depends on the port and ship - I have had multiple bottles of wine (4-5) purchased and wineries in different ports and there is rarely an "alcohol" table set up. I put the wine through the x-ray machine and if no one says anything and there is no designated table I just take it back and store it in my cabin. I always have the beverage package so no need to smuggle and hard liquor.
Alcohol is not wine, even though wine is a type of alcohol. Different treatment. But I would do the same - they can collect corkage at the DR.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
1. Majestic Princess - 12/13-night NZ (out of SYD) - Feb or Mar, 2019 (We'll see...booked w/Cyber Sale)
#15
Oakville, ON
2,843 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Tak8
Whether they collect it or not also depends on your Captain Circle status. Black cards got to keep their alcohol when returning from port on our British Isles cruise.
This ought to be rubbish. There is no such policy and if it was being handled as such, it is just plain wrong.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
1. Majestic Princess - 12/13-night NZ (out of SYD) - Feb or Mar, 2019 (We'll see...booked w/Cyber Sale)
#16
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by steelers36
This ought to be rubbish. There is no such policy and if it was being handled as such, it is just plain wrong.
It does sound suspicious but it the UK & they do things differently then the rest of the world.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#17
Maryland
10,857 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by rbt001

It's exactly these posts --I think, based upon my personal conversations with them-- why some Carnival Corporation executives loathe Cruise Critic, and why they can refer to Cruise Critic sometimes as a cesspool of smugglers and cheats who promote the circumvention of cruise line policy.

The OP asked a legitimate question and the answer according to policy is that passengers are permitted to bring spirits that purchase in ports of call, then declare them to be held in safekeeping until the last night of the cruise.
How do you know some Carnival executives loath Cruise Critic? I don't care what Carnival executives think about Cruise Critic. Not my problem.

The answer given was a legitimate answer. They want you to turn in the bottles but you can walk by the table and probably won't be stopped from taking the bottles up to the cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
#18
UK
2,579 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by floridalover5623
It does sound suspicious but it the UK & they do things differently then the rest of the world.
Odd thing to say, such as what. The post about status and alcohol is completely incorrect
#19
Santa Clarita, California
146 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by rbt001
To Princess Cruises: I highlighted it in red in case you missed it the first time. Seems like it's time to step up security and remind the staff to be more alert since passengers are outright bragging about circumvention.

It's exactly these posts --I think, based upon my personal conversations with them-- why some Carnival Corporation executives loathe Cruise Critic, and why they can refer to Cruise Critic sometimes as a cesspool of smugglers and cheats who promote the circumvention of cruise line policy.

The OP asked a legitimate question and the answer according to policy is that passengers are permitted to bring spirits that purchase in ports of call, then declare them to be held in safekeeping until the last night of the cruise.
/interestsing, I have read on CC that a guest on a VBE is allowed to bring on a bottle of wine, Yet when I asked (today) I was told no wine, no balloons, nothing may be brought on the ship???? Is the Princess Rep correct or is the CC poster correct.??? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this as we depart on Feb 4.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#20
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,228 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by antsp
Odd thing to say, such as what. The post about status and alcohol is completely incorrect
I know it doesn't sound correct for the Caribbean ports but since I've never been to the UK I'd have to believe what he posted.

It could could have been that an Elite walked by the check in desk as a lot of people do & made a comment to other passengers, "we're Elite & it doesn't apply to us".
Who knows?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90