Travel Guidebook for Europe

Hi!

We're going on a Western Mediterranean cruise in August. We plan to arrive a week prior to cruise date and visit Paris and Barcelona. Can anyone recommend a travel guidebook for pre-cruise as well as during ports of call? Not sure whether to go with Rick Steve, Frommer's or Lonely Planet.

Thanks!

Hi!

We're going on a Western Mediterranean cruise in August. We plan to arrive a week prior to cruise date and visit Paris and Barcelona. Can anyone recommend a travel guidebook for pre-cruise as well as during ports of call? Not sure whether to go with Rick Steve, Frommer's or Lonely Planet.

Thanks!

I’m a big fan of Rick Steves. All the ones you listed are fairly similar, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a big fan of the library. That allows me to get three or four different books. Then combined with internet tools I can put together a plan of action for my trip. A small pocket series that travels well for urban areas is the Top 10 books. Once I’ve booked my hotel that section in the travel book is no longer needed. As to restaurants I may write down a half dozen mentioned in multiple books. Then if you like one book best and it seems to fit your style you can buy a copy.

Another Rick Steve's fan. I might also recommend his forums on his website. You can ask for specific and up to date info that isn't covered in the book. Click the country and ask your question.

I didn't realize he had a website. I'll have to pay a visit. Thanks!