Dog Sledding in Juneau

Kat128

I'm cruising in early September and wanted to go dog sledding in Juneau. I've been researching and they all are very expensive so I want to make sure I pick the best company. Does anyone have a personal recommendations?

Problem is, your timeframe. Many years, the glacier dog sled tours close down in Sept. So even if you "have" a reservation, you can be canceled anytime up to the last minute. This is assuming you are referring to the fly in tours, since you mention "expensive" Add to the mix, these are the most canceled tours in Alaska. :) So always, have back up plans.

There are 3 vendors, who have been doing glacier dog sledding for many many years. Their tours are raved about. It may be a matter of cost, or availability? I have flown with all three companies, but not on a dog sled tour, due to being canceled twice. :)

If available will worth it, pricey but a once in a lifetime fun.

My take its very scripted and tight with flighseing, tour of the camp, short 20-30' ride with a few stops for photo ops, more photo ops with the dogs/pups and then you are on your way.

Also plan backup tours as often canceled, wife complained about the bill before, but after all smiles.

Edited by chipmaster

I did read about them being cancelled quite often. I'll make sure to have some sort of back up plan. It really does seem like a once in a lifetime type of trip so I would love to get to do it.

the trip reports (STICKY above) are a good place to find first hand recommendations.

Due to the cost there aren't too many reports that include heli-dogsledding. The only one I can think of in Juneau is from Petlovr. I think MollanJake did one also but was out of seward.

We went with Temsco in mid-July 2012. It was a ship excursion with Princess, so their choice of vendor. This was the one excursion I wanted most to do, and I had read about the cancellation rate also. Luckily that day was picture-perfect. I thought that Temsco did a good job of flying us and that the folks at the dog camp on Mendenhall Glacier did a really nice job, too.

A couple of things that bugged me was that we were given instructions during the safety demo about putting on the seat belts and our headsets, and I was trying to figure out how to make these work once we got in the helicopter. I was helping DH because his was tangled or something, then I was trying to figure out mine. There were four of us in the back on the way out, so we were tight on space to maneuver in. Meanwhile the pilot is trying to make small talk, which I wasn't paying attention to, so he made some kind of lame joke about it. Then once we were in the air, the pilot pointed out things to the folks in the front, while ignoring us in the back. One time he said there were mountain goats, but from the middle of the back seat, I could see nothing!:mad:

I took it in stride as these were very minor issues. Did not let it ruin my day which was very memorable. And I had much better views on the flight back because there was now only two of us, DH and me, in the back. So I had my own window.:p The seats are assigned based on weight BTW. You can't choose where to sit. Well, the pilot may not have been a people-person, but he got us there and back in one piece. That was my first time in a helicopter and I felt safe, not nervous at all, and that's at least partly because the pilot did a fine job flying.:)

They give you glacier boots and sunglasses. I was glad I remembered my sunglasses, which are prescription but mostly because they fit better.

Dogsledding was truly a wonderful experience. So happy I had a chance to do this. The dogs were so excited, and our guide did a nice job. You basically go in a big loop, stopping occasionally so that each person can ride in various locations. We took a longer break halfway around for pictures. Plus the dogs got to rest. The couple we were with wasn't too interested in standing on the back of the sled, but that was the most fun! I volunteered to go first. They take your picture (to sell to you for an exorbitant price!) on the first leg. So I was standing on the back of the sled at the right time.:) Needless to say we bought the $20 photo, but then I knew I would want it anyway. It was just a bonus that I was standing on the back.

Of course, at the end, they let you hold a puppy. So cute! Plus we missed our dog back home. So I had a look of pure joy on my face when DH snapped that picture!:D And it wound up on my birthday cake about a month later, but that's another story!

Hope you get to go as it was just a wonderful experience!:D

PortieMom, We have reserved this exact excursion through Princess in July. I can only hope that is doesn't get canceled. ;) Your recount of the trip makes me want to go even more and not think about the cost. Everyone we know that have gone to Alaska have said this trip was their absolute favorite thing they did. We are getting closer to our adventure every day and the excitement continues to build.

An additional suggestion- figure out and decide in advance- IF available- with a cancellation of the dog sledding, know- in advance, if you would want to go on a regular glacier helicopter landing, since it may be offered. Not a lot of time, at the time to make decisions.

Great photos, chipmaster!:) It looks like your weather was similar to ours, and I notice no one in your photos is wearing a heavy parka, gloves, or full-on winter gear either. There seem to be loads of questions on these boards about bringing a heavy coat. I did not need one. I remember feeling warm on this excursion. It's weird because you know you're going to be on snow, but the air temperature is quite comfortable.

Hope everyone who is signed up to go this year has weather that is just as nice! And don't forget your sunglasses!:cool:

There certainly can be a problem with dog sledding in September as most of the glacier operations close down at the end of August.....The snow gets very difficult and by September, it can be hazardous for the people staying on the glacier and for the pilots to land. Not always, but for the last two years, they have closed down at the end of August. There is a possibility of the glacier operation in Girdwood with Alpine Air, at that time....The guys on the Herbert Glacier with Coastal have several camps throughout the season and can change camps as the weather changes...

Thanks for all the info, review and pictures!

I spoke to one of the companies and he said it's going be very rare that they will be traveling out to the glacier in September. I'm really disappointed. I'm going to contact the others and see what they say. But he also recommended to call the day the ship departs to double check with them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the info, review and pictures!

I spoke to one of the companies and he said it's going be very rare that they will be traveling out to the glacier in September. I'm really disappointed. I'm going to contact the others and see what they say. But he also recommended to call the day the ship departs to double check with them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

It is common for some vendors to take "reservations" a little past their expected closure time. This way- IF there happens to be favorable conditions- they have schedules already in place. A LOT easier than trying to advertise at the last minute and a better business emphasis on revenue. Cancellations, are generally favorable to the vendor with the "safety" "weather" reasons that are accepted.

Just a caution, if you happen to get a "reservation".