Using a porter on disembarkation in NYC

emcelh

We've cruised out of NY several times but never used a porter when we got off the ship. We may want to this time. A couple of questions. I know it can get you through immigration faster but can they help you get a taxi? We always had to cross the street in front of the terminal hauling our luggage. Just wondered if there was a better way.

We used a porter when we got off the Breakaway last October. Not only did he get us through customs fast, but he even walked us across the street and down the block (actually 2 blocks) to where we were to wait to get our car service. I highly recommend using one. We did tip him well for his time.

Hi, last Breakaway cruise, we used a porter to get through customs. We then took the elevator upstairs... lots of cabs that are easy to grab as they drop off passengers arriving for the next cruise. DH stayed with the luggage out of the way of arriving passengers and I made my way up and down the line to catch a cab. Shorter wait than across the street.

Have a great cruise.

In August my sister and I were on Breakaway. My sister uses a mobility scooter so I'm in charge of the luggage. We had one carryon and 3 bags that were checked. We had parked in the pier parking lot.

There are tons of porters at the baggage area just waiting for you to engage. I didn't have any problems finding a porter in minutes. The porter took us through customs (using a scooter does give us the wheelchair line for customs) and he took us all the way to the car (literally left the bags at the trunk of the car). I gave him $20 for his time. From baggage to car took approximately 10-15 minutes :) Totally worth $20.

Edited by jpcello

Not unless you enjoy waiting an hour or so in Customs line.

I got off the Gem on Saturday and we waited less than five minutes to get through Customs (without a porter). Crystal Symphony was disembarking at the same time. It all went very smoothly.

In August my sister and I were on Breakaway. My sister uses a mobility scooter so I'm in charge of the luggage. We had one carryon and 3 bags that were checked. We had parked in the pier parking lot.

There are tons of porters at the baggage area just waiting for you to engage. I didn't have any problems finding a porter in minutes. The porter took us through customs (using a scooter does give us the wheelchair line for customs) and he took us all the way to the car (literally left the bags at the trunk of the car). I gave him $20 for his time. From baggage to car took approximately 10-15 minutes :) Totally worth $20.

We tipped the same, brought our luggage right to our vehicle. Didn't know about doing this on our previous cruise, when there was a shortage at customs, and it took an hour to get through the line.

So, is it safe to assume the porters will assist getting luggage to where you have to wait for taxis? We will only have 2 suitcases and small carry on bags but I recently sprained my knee and need to use a cane, so some assistance would be helpful. A $20 tip would be a bargain in this case.

Edited by emcelh

I wonder why NCL started to direct people down to street level? They used to disembark at the upper level, and I think Carnival still does.

Customs and immigration are on the lower level. I don't think NCL has anything to do with it. It might depend on the terminal being used. We've always departed from and arrived at Pier 88.