Stateroom Allocations

abefroman329

Booked a guaranteed IE on a sold-out cruise, setting sail next Thursday, but a stateroom still has not been allocated. What in the world are they waiting for if the cruise is completely sold out?!

I'm venting more than anything, not really looking for a response.

I'm also wondering if I'm going to live to regret not spending the extra $700 to book a balcony cabin.

Some have reported getting guarantee assignments at check in. It's nerve wracking but you won't be given a pile of blankets and pointed in the direction of a life boat.

Yesterday I found out that there is "sold out" and "really sold out". Cunard's site was listing a voyage as sold out but an online TA still had some staterooms in their inventory.

Some have reported getting guarantee assignments at check in. It's nerve wracking but you won't be given a pile of blankets and pointed in the direction of a life boat.

Oh I know, but it'd be nice to be able to do some research on whatever cabin we're assigned prior to arrival.

Yesterday I found out that there is "sold out" and "really sold out". Cunard's site was listing a voyage as sold out but an online TA still had some staterooms in their inventory.

If this cruise were an airline flight, it would be a very full flight (as opposed to a full flight).

Right, but this particular cruise is waitlisted, and I'd think Cunard would have some sort of automated process to book waitlisted passengers if/when there is some availability.

Yes, there is a process. On the US side one telephones and asks to be waitlisted and which categories are wanted - say any non-Grill balcony. You will be told what number you are on the list. If a stateroom becomes available one is contacted by email and has to respond by a deadline. Within three days of sailing the contact is made by telephone. The fare will be whatever it is at the time one clears the waitlist and that can be a lot different from the prevailing fare when the request was made. There's no money involved to be on the waitlist.

I didn't get to see the outcome because I found an available stateroom on a TA site. When I called to cancel my waitlist the agent didn't seem surprised at all. Apparently some top performing TAs hold inventory quite late. It's probably a quid pro quo where they steer a lot of business to Cunard and in return the TA gets more time to make a commission.

It's a midships interior instead of a forward or aft interior.

But what deck? Connecting cabin? What's above and below? <---These are questions I ask whenever I've been "upgraded" - not intended as interrogation questions for your booking :-)

Bon Voyage! - Cheers, Salacia

The current QM2 deck plans shown on the Cunard website shows the Deck 4 IC class inside cabins as being located in Mid-Fwd and Mid-Aft. The Mid-Fwd inside cabins are located above the Royal Court Theater. The Mid-Aft cabins are located over the Britannia Restaurant. However, I've had friends stay in both locations and never found noise to be a problem.

Our particular stateroom (4140) is above the MDR and below other staterooms. I thought I'd heard from other cruisers that rooms above the MDR are noisy with tables being moved around in the early morning, but maybe that's not the case.

It's not next to a laundrette, it's not near a bank of elevators, it's not a connecting room, and it's not a handicapped room. As far as interior staterooms go, I'm happy with it.

Our particular stateroom (4140) is above the MDR and below other staterooms. I thought I'd heard from other cruisers that rooms above the MDR are noisy with tables being moved around in the early morning, but maybe that's not the case.

It's not next to a laundrette, it's not near a bank of elevators, it's not a connecting room, and it's not a handicapped room. As far as interior staterooms go, I'm happy with it.

And that you're happy with your stateroom assignment is all that matters! Some passengers like being near the elevators (less walking) and/or launderettes (easier to do laundry), just as some are happy to be assigned a handicapped room because the room is generally large...and on and on it goes as to our personal preference, which differ widely. Happy sails, -S.

Ha, I would have been happy with an ocean view or a balcony, but if I must be in an interior...it could be worse. Thanks for the advice!

That's the sprit, abefroman! Now, get out there and have a fantastic time ! (Share what you can; we can keep secrets;))